is fielding 3 vindicators too much

ZONKEY

I just a random general question I want to field 3 vindicators and I believe they will be painful for the enemy to deal with I would like to haveva techmarine in toe nearby them with a PFG to add some protection

Pros:

- AV 13 in the front

- decent range (24" weapon+6" movement)

Cons:

- short range regarding retaliation (lascannons mainly): they double your range

- AV11 on the side

- Competes for  HS slots with Land Raiders and whirwinds or devastators

- blasts have unreliable accuracy

IMHO, it depends on the rest of the list, but I'd be hard pressed to consider those 400 points a cost/efficient investment

Edit: also, it depends A LOT on no cover for the enemy and clear firelanes  ...which are becoming harder to get, at least in my corner of the Segmentum

Let's not forget the significant PRO of S10 AP2...

A single blast template might be unreliable, but that's why you have three :)

Additional PROs: this isn't a common build so many opponents won't be prepared for it, the DA advantage of the PFG, general boost in survivability to tanks in 7th, AV11 on the side can be mitigated by lining the three tanks up together.

We play with a lot more terrain I've a couple and they get heavily targeted when I play them

Normal tactic is I'll play Deathwing Knights some games Vindicators others keeps my opponents guessing what will turn up and I've a regular Tau opponent and he hates them they've shut down his Farsight bomb tactic good and proper, if he opts to go 2nd I get 2 free turns to Nuke his force with my full army if he goes 1st I put them in reserve so they come on 2nd with 2 its hard for him to avoid getting lamped by at least 1 of them and a S10 pie plate makes a bit of a mess.

Also coupled with the Rad grenade you can instant kill Riptides and other MC multi wound characters that are normally S6

Heavy slot is normally Whirwind then the Vindicators though I'm on a Land Raider Project at the minute 

I ran 3 vindicators in my Khorne army back in 5th and it was quite powerful.  They synergised quite well with my rhinos full of berzerkers.  My opponent had to choose what to kill and usually it was a catch 22 for them.  Either the 'zerkers ripped them apart or they were blasted apart,  The key with them though was the old demonic possession; always moving, always shooting. But glances effected the vehicles more then so maybe extra armor isn't needed now.

One key thing was that it forced my opponent to spread out more to avoid bad scatters and bunching up.  I think I won a few games thanks to speeders or thunder wolves ending up under a scattered pie plate.  Anyways, because going 2nd was advantageous to grab objectives, my opponent would spread out to avoid clumping and I could react my deployment to one side, cover save with rhinos, and move up the flank on my turn ignoring half of the army.

It was tough for alpha strike pod armies or descent of angels armies, too.  I would castle the vindies behind the rhinos and whatever landed near me was sure to die,  Back when drop pod deployment was only 2 inches the plate could hit the pod and everything that came out on a hit roll.  

Mechanics are a lot different now than they were.  Cover saves were better then but nowadays it seems like more key opposition has ways to get stealth, shrouded, or flies and would laugh in the face of a vindicator. Where before it could blast ravens and vendettas out of the sky now it cant touch them at all while getting las cannons and multi-meltas rammed down its tube.  Lots of terrain can really hinder them also and not being able to kill what you can't fully see could be rough.

This is slightly off topic but I find it quite troubling when someone asks if 3 demolisher cannons is too much... although this is coming from a guard general...

Weve got people on the DA boards who run 2 or 3 Landraiders, I think 3 vindis are a fine idea!

They are really the only durable high S low AP template we have. As far as the Heavy Support slot goes its either Vindis, LRCs, or lascannon devs. Preds are alright but I think vindicators get bang for their buck.

Sohail - where is that from?  Is that from some formation?  

IMO - (3) Vindicators is not too much, (3) Land Raider Ares is too much.  :D

Paul

IAV2 War machine of the adaptus ast. At the back you can buy specific vehicle upgrades, which have a cost for regular vehicles and a higher cost if the vehicle is a super heavy. But only one upgrade can be taken per 1000. So you can only take 1 vindi with ignore cover. 

I used to field 2 vindicators in 1500 points with my blood angels.  In the current system which rewards capturing objectives they're great for objective denial. 

'You can nab that objective.  Or you could live.  Just sayin'.

In the current ruleset they get to be scoring if that's your sort of thing! If they're not scoring then they're not competing for any slots! In mixed or greenwing you can also still bring at least one librarian which may be able to help with those pesky cover saves.

Archived