modelling veterans with out robes

ZONKEY

Hi,

I realise the title of this will lead to a lot of bad jokes, but still would it matter if I created veterans without robes using the various stern/vanguard kits can the dark angels for goe the robes and settle for Caliban green power armour?

Yeah I've always imagined that robes are a signifier that the warrior has served in the Deathwing/Inner Circle. Company veterans are 'simply' line warriors that have been selected for a particularly honourable duty as a reward for exceptional service. Knowledge of the Fallen and service in a Company Veteran squad do not necessarily go hand-in-hand and so I would have no problem with seeing Dark Angels veterans without robes; to me, they're just the ones who haven't advanced within the chapter yet.

All just my opinion of course.

In game terms the robes are irrelevant. The power armour and weapons are what counts. The precise significance of wearing robes is headcanon and will vary from player to player.

"headcanon" now that's an excellent term biggrin.png

With a dramatic, pneumatic hiss, the chamber doors lurched open, finally rewarding the Techmarine's patience and perseverance. For over three cycles Lucien, Astartes Tech Adept Class II, had struggled with the vault's Machine Spirit, utilising every ritual and obeisance of Mars to placate the stubborn, immortal sentinel.
Now the battle was finally over and the armoury, one of many secreted amongst the Rock's labyrinthine catacombs, was open once more. Locked and sealed for nearly ten millennia, who could say what secrets were waiting to be re-discovered within the brooding darkness? With an uncharacteristic eagerness, Lucien marched briskly inside, activating his infra-visor to scan the inky shadows of the ancient chamber.
Three immense, hulking figures were waiting for him, towering statues of adamantium and ceramite. Even silent and inactive, the three suits exuded a sense of menace and barely controlled violence. Lucien recognised them immediately: Cataphractii. The most impenetrable and formidable pattern of terminator plate. Rare now, even amongst the scattered chapters of the First Legion, such relics were valuable beyond all measure.
His Masters would be pleased with this discovery. Had he been able to, he would have smiled at that moment. Lucien's face had been intensively reconstructed with bionics, making physical displays of emotion almost impossible.
Suddenly he realised that all three suits were subtly different from every other example of Cataphractii plate that he had been privileged enough to witness. The battle helmet of each figure, snugly encased within it's heavily protected collar, was far larger and more imposing than normal, in fact almost three times the size of the Indomitus helms worn by so many of the Deathwing. As he observed more closely, he spotted the tell tale magnetic coils and coolant feeds, all linked to the massive barrel that formed the entire right hand side of each armoured head.
"Helmet mounted plasma cannons?" Lucien muttered to himself, almost disbelieving the evidence of his own augmetic eyes. Were there truly no limits to the ingenuity of the ancient Legion artificers?
His masters would be pleased indeed with...
Oh, hang on a minute. You said "headcanon", not "head cannon". My mistake msn-wink.gif
Just so I'm not completely derailing the thread, here are some of my Sword Bearer Veterans. I've used robes, tabards and 'bare' armour to represent company vets/command squads, although I do try to keep each unit the same just for coherency:
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/ETLIII%20Vow2/Completed%20Vow/Better%20Pics/CIMG6991_zps1bbe4b3e.jpghttp://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/ETLIII%20Vow2/Completed%20Vow/Better%20Pics/CIMG6960_zps4f5fa29c.jpghttp://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/ETLIII%20Vow2/Completed%20Vow/CIMG6910_zps3f225f9a.jpg

ROBES ARE NOT THE MARK OF A VETERAN SQUAD!!!!

/rant

Seriously...it would be perfectly appropriate to model an entire battle company in robes (they'd look kinda funny with jump packs, though), or without.  They are a DA thing, not specifically a veterans thing.

To be correct March robes were Inner Circle only in 2nd Edition, Deathwing only in 3rd Edition...

It's from the ugliest codex ever of 4th/5th Edition that robes became "rule of cool" instead of "veteran status"...

I am old school and the robes are only on My Sgts, veterans, comnand squads as a badge of rank... ;)

I dont like current cause i Always liked a Mark of rank on My veterans/sergeants...

BA have Black pads For sergeants and Golden helmet For veterans, UM have red helmets For sergeants and White helmets For veterans, DA have robes For sergeants and veterans and it's good For me to show who are the guys in charge through robes...

Current is current but past was a lor cooler and i keep with the past... My army is My army...

I dont have nothing against non robed veterans but i prefer mine to wear robes...

To be correct March robes were Inner Circle only in 2nd Edition, Deathwing only in 3rd Edition...

It's from the ugliest codex ever of 4th/5th Edition that robes became "rule of cool" instead of "veteran status"...

I am old school and the robes are only on My Sgts, veterans, comnand squads as a badge of rank... msn-wink.gif

Shenanigans! I wasn't around in 2nd, but I've had robed tactical squads since at least 2001 (started in 1998). I just flipped through the "pamphlet" of a 3rd edition codex (you know, the one where almost everything says "see codex: space marines?), and I find NOTHING to back your claim that robes were restricted to the deathwing in 3rd edition. It would have been kind of odd, anyway, since they were making metal robed DA back in 3rd, yet there was no option for power-armored deathwing...

Page number?

I am old school and the robes are only on My Sgts, veterans, comnand squads as a badge of rank... msn-wink.gif

Shenanigans! I wasn't around in 2nd, but I've had robed tactical squads since at least 2001 (started in 1998). I just flipped through the "pamphlet" of a 3rd edition codex (you know, the one where almost everything says "see codex: space marines?), and I find NOTHING to back your claim that robes were restricted to the deathwing in 3rd edition. It would have been kind of odd, anyway, since they were making metal robed DA back in 3rd, yet there was no option for power-armored deathwing...

Page number?

More of a price point. We had THREE robed bodies, two in a blister and we made up reasons to not use them for every mini... Mostly because the innovation that was third edition multipart, poseable Tactical squads were so awesome.

Fourth ed. gave us the robed sprue and the return of a Company Vets squad (which we were not allowed early in third) so naturally the connection got made right there.

Great use of the Greatswords box there Spaced Hulk.

I rather like the idea of robes being worn by whoever wants them, similar to how some Black Templars wear tabards while others don't.

Also I don't like bone coloured robes over green armour... too much like Christmas. For non-Deathwing characters in power armour I paint the robes black. My Deathwing power armour characters wear bone white armour with dark green robes. That way they don't visually lose their connection to the first company (from which all the Company Masters, Librarians, and Interrogator-Chaplains are tapped from).

Cheers for painting your robes dark brown (like proper monks' robes!)

Page number?

More of a price point. We had THREE robed bodies, two in a blister and we made up reasons to not use them for every mini... Mostly because the innovation that was third edition multipart, poseable Tactical squads were so awesome.

Fourth ed. gave us the robed sprue and the return of a Company Vets squad (which we were not allowed early in third) so naturally the connection got made right there.

Great use of the Greatswords box there Spaced Hulk.

Aha! So it is just the personal bias of some members of the community talking, not actual fluff or rules. As for the expense of blistered metal models with little variation, that's a bit of weak sauce. The expense was matched by quite a number of armies. Sisters come to mind, as do the first generation of GK models, which sold like hotcakes. I guess plastic non-robed tacticals were cheaper and poseable...they also looked like green ultramarines. I had one robed tactical squad and two unrobed ones. Come to think of it, nobody had to ask me what that squad of ten robed marines was, so I don't think anyone had any thoughts back then that robes were for 1337 Mueenz.

Also I don't like bone coloured robes over green armour... too much like Christmas.

Ah, I avoid that problem...I loathe the technically correct red boltgun casings, so mine are black, which takes red out of the red-white-green "christmas marine" trifecta. white, green, and black just doesn't scream Christmas, and white robes are verra, verra nice.

I would go for loads of iconography/bling and script on their un-robed (de-robed, robeless??) armour to show that they are veterans of many conflicts. Maybe even mix in a little of the older armour MKs, beakie helmets etc. You need them to stand out enough to be recognisable from the run-of-the-mill tacticals. Perhaps different coloured pauldrons...or use the skull decal rather than the usual tactical arrow to mark them as special.

My 9th and 10th squads, along with my veterans are robed just to confuse things msn-wink.gif

Don't get me started on red gun casings (you can avoid looking like Xmas Marines with a very dark red)... tongue.png

Aha!  So it is just the personal bias of some members of the community talking, not actual fluff or rules. As for the expense of blistered metal models with little variation, that's a bit of weak sauce.  The expense was matched by quite a number of armies.  Sisters come to mind, as do the first generation of GK models, which sold like hotcakes.  I guess plastic non-robed tacticals were cheaper and poseable...they also looked like green ultramarines.  I had one robed tactical squad and two unrobed ones.  Come to think of it, nobody had to ask me what that squad of ten robed marines was, so I don't think anyone had any thoughts back then that robes were for 1337 Mueenz. 

Sisters had what, 7-8 poses?  The robed metals came out quite a bit later than the plastics, I do have ten of them scattered around in command squads, Sarges, one with a lascannon and vets (I did a re-org and re-paint of my squads when the fourth ed book came out.) 

Ah, I avoid that problem...I loathe the technically correct red boltgun casings, so mine are black, which takes red out of the red-white-green "christmas marine" trifecta.  white, green, and black just doesn't scream Christmas, and white robes are verra, verra nice.

Good man.   Some things from the red period should stay dead.  Black all the way.

Archived