why is dark vengeance being changed so quickly?

ZONKEY

Whether or not the starter box changes from Dark Angels to Blood Angels (as one rumor maintains) or if the Dark Angels will remain is open to debate. Regardless, the starter box has to change so that the rules, a key component, can be updated to match the current edition.

This isn't a matter of "importance" so much as it is a matter of rules currency and variation in the forces in the starter box.

According to rumors the new box set is SW vs Orks. In any case, they send out a new starter set for each edition, or almost.. So we were just unfortunate that 6th ed. lasted for a couple of years. If you think about it, chaos is on the same boat as us, so at least we don't go down alone... ;)

Just a shame really more than anything else as I liked the cheap tactical squad minis and terminators and raven wing

Do you mean has to change like the ultramarines where the go to legion for the box for who knows how long and why is it works why not dark eldar or tau

There is also nothing specifically saying that this actually is a starter set. People may be jumping the gun. Now, WD may have lied, but we all were told there that DV was going to be re-issued with the new rule book. There are a lot of ways GW could be playing this "boxed set" business, it could be a new starter, it could be a pair of themed army boxes for the campaign, it could be a "campaign box", or it could simply be a pair of characters for the campaign in a box together with their data cards. We'll have to wait and see.

Things I noted on the released images of the new WD: the cover doesn't say anything about "7th Edition starter set", the Space Wolves around the new Lord Krom don't appear to be from new kits (although it's hard to be very sure), and Krom is on a 40mm base for some reason.

Stormclaw is a starter set.

I think my theory is that gw is going to have two starter sets. Dark vengeance and stormclaw. This is being done to provide variety to the starter kits. This could mean we see different combo kits for different army mixes (they could re do battle for macragge!!)

And gw could be feeling sorry for the sons of russ. Those poor miserable pups need to get unshackled from their post every once and a while :P

Stormclaw is a starter set.

Anything to back this rather factual sounding statement up? Everyone would like to see some evidence of that.
you mean beyond the leaked wd photo that clearly states: a new BOX of wolves vs orks? Really name another single box of models that contains more than two armies? I can't think of one. Its a starter box.

Guess we'll have to wait and see on that one. I'm not convinced by that single statement on the WD cover, already laid my reasons why out in the main rumor thread on this. Nothing yet has stated "starter", and the DV set was called a "boxed game" on the WD.

That leaked cover also shows only one new model. Wouldn't they have invested more in a starter than simply reboxing older kits? Also, why would they include full bit kits in the starter, rather than the push-fits the last two or three have had (I think that 3rd was the last - and only - edition to have had full put together kits)?

I'm willing to eat some crow on it though.

Guess we'll have to wait and see on that one. I'm not convinced by that single statement on the WD cover, already laid my reasons why out in the main rumor thread on this. Nothing yet has stated "starter", and the DV set was called a "boxed game" on the WD.

That leaked cover also shows only one new model. Wouldn't they have invested more in a starter than simply reboxing older kits?

I'm willing to eat some crow on it though.

I guess that's your inner dark Angel at work. You see sons of the wolf being upheld on a pedestal and now you get jelly

Or maybe "boxed set" doesn't necessarily mean "starter box." The difference being that a "starter box" comes with a primer on the basic rules of the game, measuring sticks, dice, templates, etc.; whereas a "boxed set" might not have any of the basic game stuff.

It's premature to claim that the Stormclaw boxed set is a starter box when nothing GW has published to date even implies such (in fact, official GW information leans towards DV remaining as the starter box for 7th edition).

GW likes to be cryptic at times, however, so it's premature to assert that Stormclaw won't be a "starter box." All we know for certain right now is that it will be a boxed set of some sort. And that ambiguity means that the original question posed as the topic title might be completely baseless.

I guess that's your inner dark Angel at work. You see sons of the wolf being upheld on a pedestal and now you get jelly

Eh, wha!? I don't have the confused smiley, sorry.

I really don't consider old sprues being put into a starter as being "on a pedestal", actually, if I was a Wolf player and that's what I got for a starter after the nice DA models (even if they were snap fit), I'd actually be pissed. The Sons of Russ aren't even worth the full treatment? Doubtful. Also, they would almost certainly lose sales to Wolf players who don't feel like buying a bunch of stuff they already have.

And the difficulty of the fully assemble figures would possibly lead to frustration for new players who may not be fully familiar with how to put together all the figs, not to mention some of the fiddly wolf bits, and take longer to get the first game started with the set.

Eh, wha!? I don't have the confused smiley, sorry.

More of a wheels within wheels Dark Angel thing.  We know exactly how to parse words with the best.  It doesn't say starter box. It says Boxed set, which could mean anything...   Patience..  All the secrets will be revealed after the Librarius gets done with them...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/10489755_10152110093900807_6433438532684183571_n.jpg

Or ya know...  on Friday....

My vote is this;

DV will not go anywhere, and will be repackaged as the 7th starter set, they will move to an architecture where there are multiple other 2 army starter boxes that contain a unique figure and represent a starter for two armies. This will be "real" models and not snap fit, they will leave DV for that. This means that people who want the real deal can buy a big book and a two player box set at a discount, or they can get the snap fit starter.

Paul

On the GW website, DV was called a box set. However, so are the Hammer of Cadia box, the Cadian Defense Force, Space Marine Strike Force Ultra, Militarium Tempestus Storm Scions, Space Marine Strikeforce, Chaos Space Marine Attack Force, and the Black Templars Chapter Upgrade, and likely some others that I missed.

As Brother Tyler pointed out, there's no real evidence one way or the other that this will or won't be a "starter box" and GW didn't actually use those words on the WD announcing Dark Vengeance (they called it a "boxed game").

What I got from my GW employee friend, because he has the thing on his orders list:

The Stormclaw is priced at starter box price (375 PLN, which is about 120 USD), has two armies in it, Space Wolves and Orks. There are NO NEW UNITS. The box is all regular sprues, BUT there are new character models (made with the same snap-fit technology like the DV stuff, with new rules for them (think "DV Limited Chaplain"). The rules are reportedly really good for the Ork and fairly good for the SW (also there's reportedly a reason he's on a 40mm base in the WD picture, I don't know if you noticed). I suspect he has some b2b effect.

It is yet not certain if the Stormclaw will carry the mini 7ed rulebook, at that price it's expected to, but it's certain that Dark Vengeance will be repackaged with one.

It is yet not certain if the Stormclaw will carry the mini 7ed rulebook, at that price it's expected to, but it's certain that Dark Vengeance will be repackaged with one.

Just because GW hasn't ever had two different starter boxes at once doesn't mean that they cannot in the future...

At the bottom of every prospectus is the phrase, "Past performance is no guarantee of future success." or of future predictions of boxed sets.

And this is kinda what I have been expecting them to move towards.  The starter sets are not a complete army by themselves and troops units have always had the cheapest boxes.  Cents are a touch more than one and a half a tac box.  Assault squads, tanks, mek with Sag, one weapon, is the same price as a tac squad..    the cool stuff wont usually make it into a starter box.

As long as it comes in a hand lacquered wooden box with velvet inlay I'm sure the players will be happy.

No. NO! I will not stand for anything less than PURE SILK! This is a robbery in BRIGHT DAYLIGHT, I say!

So it has been confirmed by pics of White Dwarf that it does have the mini-rule book, but doesn't appear to have any other "starter" material in the box, so in that respect, it's a starter kit lite. However, nothing about it indicates it's supposed to take DV's place, as it is plastered all over with the Sanctus Reach stuff and is even called a Campaign Supplement in the White Dwarf.

So no reason to fret yet, it's possible DV will be coming back (if you still want it - which I don't, I'm actually more interested in this Wolf-Ork box now).

Archived