RW command. Who gets the grenade launcher?

Gabus

Good morning.

I find myself finishing my Ravenwing soon, and i'm unsure who should get the grenade launcher in a command unit.

Do I give it to the standard bearer or Apothecary since they will be among the last to die? Or should one of the regular black knights get it?

Or, do i skip the grenade launcher alltogether in a command squad?

Never skip the grenade launcher. ;)

I think that ideally the Standard beraer should get it because he'll be the last one to die, since the standard benefits all units close, as opposite to the apothecary that only affects his own unit.  On other hand an apoth with GL can survive longer and keep using GL to debuff other units.. ;)

Still, my bet would be on the Standard bearer.

I've gone with the Apothecary as I think it makes the standard bearer too much of a target if he has all the toys. I wouldn't put it on a standard Black Knight though, it's a small unit and it won't be long until your looking at losing a key model otherwise

I've got my grenade launcher on one of the 2 not-special characters. I did that mostly so any errata or FAQ that stated only "black knights" could take that upgrade I wouldn't be hosed with my squad config. I think the apothecary or the standard bearer are the safest bets in a world where any model can take the grenade launcher.

I've found I need the plasma shots more than the GL too in most of my matchups, so I'm not overly worried when my normal guy with GL bites the dust.

I do the non-special character thing as well. But the reason why is two fold - it makes it hard for my opponent to snipe ONE dude who seems to have the Easter Basket, and secondly I don't always take the same characters, so I'd have to do an extra grenade launcher model in those cases!

From the way I read it the Apoth and Champ can't have it since they are characters. The Standard Bearer is not, so he can have it. It's like taking a Melta in a regular squad, you can't give it to the Sergeant.

Thanks everyone. I think im going to put a magnet on the launcher, standard bearer, and a regular knight and play around with it. I see merits to spreading it out, and merits to keeping it on the standard.

Archived