A water well of ignorance: Scoring and Superscoring

fw_haakon

Hallo everyone I have a question about the new rules. Provided that I've stopped playing with the 3rd edition now I'm coming back to the game and trying to get to understand everything.

Can someone with a good will give me an explanation of what scoring and super-scoring mean? and by what standard a unit can be either or neither? 

I will be happy also with the pages of the manual if the explenation is too long. (even though writing scoring on the ePub version of the 7th edition did not yeld much)

In my ignorance I think I understand that scoring unit can keep an objective as long as they are there. Super scoring can get to the objective claim it and leave it as theirs. (as long as no enemy scoring unit comes to take it off).

Am I right?

Thank you all.

Scoring means they can claim it if there and deny it to other scoring units.

Objective secured (superscoring) cannot be denied except by other superscoring units.

Other than that, they function the same.

No unit can lay claim unless they are actively present. (at the objective)

All units can now score/hold the objective (except flyers) - This includes vehicles

If an objective is contested then if one of the units is a Troops choice and the other is not, the Troops choice hold the objective

If you buy a dedicated transport for your troops this also becomes a super scoring unit (Troops choice)

example

Ork Artillary holds objective 6 you zoom across with a Rhino at the end of your turn you are now holding objective 6 even though both units are within 3" of it as the Ork Artillery is a Heavy Support Choice

It's all about whether or not there are other units that can contest objectives nearby one of your unit that holds one.

For example :

- Scoring unit vs. Scoring unit : Objective Contested --> Nobody holds it

- Super scoring vs. Scoring unit : Super scoring controls the objective and it is not contested

- Super scoring vs. Super scoring : Objective Contested --> Nobody holds it

Let's say your Tactical squads charges a squad of Lootas holding an objective. If you only have 1 Marine remaining within 3" of the objective, then you claim it because Lootas are not Troops choices.

If it was Ork boys holding the objectives, the objectives would be contested because both are Troops choices.

Similarly, if it was an Assault Squad charging the Lootas, then it would be contested as well because no unit has the Objective Secured rule.

Finally, if it was an Assault Squad charging Ork boys, then the boys would still maintain control of the objective because they have the Objective Secured rule.

Remember that the Objective Secured rule only applies to Troops choices in a Battle-Forged army (following the Force Org chart) unless some special character provides a rule that gives them Objective Secured (example Pedro Kantor).

It's also important to note that Objective Secured is mostly found on Troop choices in a Combined Arms Detachment or Allied Detachment, but there are other methods for gaining the Objective Secured rule (Gargoyles in the skyslasher swarm formation, for example)

All units can now score/hold the objective (except flyers) - This includes vehicles

Not quite a precisely true statement.  Zooming fliers can't score, but if your flier (such as a Valkyrie) can hover, then in hover mode it is a scoring unit...and if it were a dedicated transport (Valkyries cannot be) for a superscoring unit, then it would be a superscorer in hover mode.

First of all thanks for all the answers everything is much clearer now. But I also have another question, What about ravenwing and Deathwing? how do they work?

They both become superscoring because they are counted as troops (provided Azrael (Both), Sammael(RW only) or Belial(DW only) are there right?

Thanks again!

Vanja

First of all thanks for all the answers everything is much clearer now. But I also have another question, What about ravenwing and Deathwing? how do they work?

They both become superscoring because they are counted as troops (provided Azrael (Both), Sammael(RW only) or Belial(DW only) are there right?

Thanks again!

Vanja

Correct, if you are using the Battle-forged army selection method as all Troops units gain Objective Secured.

The above isn't quite accurate, only those troops taken from combined arms and allied detachments (and any other formations that specifically say so) get superscoring. For instance, even though a helcult formation can be used in a battleforged army (as can any 40k approved formation) the troops option in that formation, i.e. the cultists, do not get superscoring, even though they are troops in a battleforged army.

Archived