Orbital Bombardment

himkano

Was looking at AM codex, and noticed how powerful the deathstrike missile system was.  While it is one shot, it could be a game changing shot.  This made me look at Orbital Bombardment again (because although I have some IG, I am a space marine player at heart).  S10, AP1, Barrage, ordinance, ignores cover, large blast.  Even with scatter, the potential alpha strike, especially against gunlines seems pretty high.

Without getting too into the army list (because this isn't the place), I plan on making 1500 points, largely bikes (although I have vindi, 2 wirlwinds, and some landspeeders), but it is tempting to try to squeeze in 2 orbital bombardments.  I would probably take the points from the planned drop pod of sternguard, which I really like, but which don't want to be on the same side of the board as 2 orbital bombs).

My question is, given the full scatter on a non-hit, how good are the OB, and how far should I go to try to get one, or even 2 into a list?  (technically I could go as high as 4 since double force org will be allowed - also this is for FoB invitationals, not friendly store games).  When I read the lists that people post here, I never see Orbital Bombardment as part of a list strategy, so I am afraid it is only something that looks good on paper.  Who uses it regularly, and how much would you give up for it - a vindi? 2 whirlwinds? 2 landspeeder?

If you put two chapter Masters in tactical squads whilst using the Ultramarine chapter tactic, you can re roll the scatter by using the tactical doctrine... Just a suggestion

In my last game using a chapter master, my Orbital Bombardment exploded a Landraider and Immobilised a Rhino on turn 1.

I think they are awesome personally.

If you put two chapter Masters in tactical squads whilst using the Ultramarine chapter tactic, you can re roll the scatter by using the tactical doctrine... Just a suggestion

In my last game using a chapter master, my Orbital Bombardment exploded a Landraider and Immobilised a Rhino on turn 1.

I think they are awesome personally.

That's an awesome piece of advice :D

You could even attach a CM on a bike and move 6" while still getting relentless !

My experience with Orbital Bombardment is mixed. Either it's devastating like Ishagu, either it misses completely. It's got really polarized results, but I don't think you should rely on it. It's more of a bonus than anything else.

It's a good bit of kit (technically a weapon) since you're paying for the wound and attack over the Captain, so it's powerful and worthwhile.

It's 40K so don't rely on it, but it can win games in one shot. I use it to nuke vehicles I don't like. 50% chance of immobilised or better ain't too shabby against a Land Raider.

I've often supported the idea of using it with Ultramarines CT alongside a Drop Pod force of Tactical squads. A potentially crippling first strike.

I've recently discovered that my Imperial Fists can get an orbital bombardment through the warlord trait in their Sentinels of Terra codex. With a battleforged army re-rolling their warlord trait, this is a 1/3rd chance to get it as a bonus at the start of the game. Pretty nice.

While you can't depend on it, when it works it's a great bonus. It's success can run the breadth of hitting nothing...to wiping out Nob Biker/SW Thunderwolf deathstars, or killing 2 land raiders, a Vindicator and a rhino (and a not-insignificant portion of the transported units) in a single shot! (the space wolf player has never bunched up his vehicles like that since...)

Was looking at AM codex, and noticed how powerful the deathstrike missile system was.  While it is one shot, it could be a game changing shot.  This made me look at Orbital Bombardment again (because although I have some IG, I am a space marine player at heart).  S10, AP1, Barrage, ordinance, ignores cover, large blast.  Even with scatter, the potential alpha strike, especially against gunlines seems pretty high.

it doesn't ignore cover.

I have found its usually more of a fear tactic then a actual killer. vs anything with a jink, in good cover, or hordes the effects are sub optimal. I run 2 chapter masters and I have found them to be clutch at times, especially when fighting tau, killing a entire salvoside team with 6 drones with the 2 blasts

It forces opponents to spread out which is a powerful ability at times.

I've smashed so many armies apart because of it. I don't rely on it, but I enjoy its BOOM!. msn-wink.gif

Fixed that for you msn-wink.gif

I'll add another vote to the sentiment that they are a lot of fun, but not something to bank on.

I'd take the Chapter Master because their abilities are a good fit for your army first and foremost and then also get the OB as a side benefit. It isn't quite good enough in and of itself to warrant forcing a CM into a list just to get the bombardment.

• 3 weeks later...

That it is. Being able to re roll misses helps it a lot though. Attach the character to an Ultramarines Tactical squad and use the Tactical Doctrine, for example.

It can also prevent opponents clumping high value targets together. It might hit and the opponent should reduce the risk to himself by spreading out. Then you can strike with your Drop Pod attacks etc.

Deploy Servo Skulls anywhere not 6" from your opponent. Any Blast that lands within 12" of a Skull gets -1D6 to its Scatter (so 1D6 instead of 2D6 Scatter).

Deploy Servo Skulls anywhere not 6" from your opponent. Any Blast that lands within 12" of a Skull gets -1D6 to its Scatter (so 1D6 instead of 2D6 Scatter).

This is correct. Make the Inquisitor a warlord and maybe you'll get a second Bombardment ;-)

no, its not worth 40 points more then artificers for a 6+ invul that doesnt matter, or relentless when you can pay 20 points to be on a bike, the 2++ is cute but its just not reliable enough since its 1 turn and the cost is so great

Yeah it's about 30pts too expensive in my view. The game punishes Rhinos for elite units and expensive characters as they are easy to prioritise, so Iccan't see a reason to take it over Terminator armour aside from the super invulnerable save. The problem with it is it only lasts a turn is hard to outside charging a Mega Nob squad or MC.

I suppose this could be a valid strategy. Anyone have an anecdote of its use?

Archived