How many of you have tried the new Tactical Box set?

Prot

Kind of a silly question here...

But here's the situation... I was considering a new project entirely; a different Chapter (Astartes). So I went out and bought two of the newish tactical box sets.... they're fantastic.

It took me twice as long to put them together as I thought it would. I only used pieces in the sets (nothing borrowed from the bitz box). I was really impressed with the natural poses, the articulation in the wrists, and even the legs. While there's nothing incredibly different about them, they manage to fit into existing line up while adding a real polished look to tacticals.

I just kept thinking to myself how good these would look as DA even though there are obviously no robes, or pre formed shoulder pads.

I thought I'd ask you guys if you've done this for DA because for the longest time I just assumed everyone was using the Dark Vengeance set marines for their Tacticals. If you've done so, I'd love to see pics. Anyone?

I have! I also bought a DA upgrade sprue and devestator box at the same time to mix and match parts. They were *fairly* compatible (they changed which side of the chest had nubs sticking out for example), but the difference in quality and amount of flash was highly noticeable. The tactical box was hands down the most customizable and had next to no mould lines where the other two were very noticable.

Also each marine looks like he's an actual character with his own unique pose.

http://i.imgur.com/4A3enan.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VYXe1PQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/upa6K3n.jpg

Somewhat obviously the top has the highest amount of kit bashing while the bottom is mostly made out of the new box.

I've actually used three of the new Tactical boxes now for my Sword Bearers. Like yourself, I've been very impressed with the kit, which has formed the basis for a variety of squads (2 tacs, company vets and a command squad). Haven't built them straight from the box, as I've added bits from a variety of other kits, but they integrate seamlessly with the entire Marine range. If you don't mind searching there are plenty of pics in my Sword Bearers thread, but when I get back from work tonight I'll post some specific examples here as well.

EDIT Here are some of my Tac marines:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/ETLIII%20Vow2/Completed%20Vow/Better%20Pics/CIMG7026_zps99eb5013.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/ETLIII%20Vow2/Completed%20Vow/Better%20Pics/CIMG7025_zps21e2bcb7.jpg

And a Company Vet:

med_gallery_917_9755_226767.jpg

Apart from just how better defined all the details are, I think the re-designed legs are probably my favourite aspect of the new Tac kit. The greater variety and more upright poses really improve the look of the models in my opinion.

Yes, there's a noticeable difference. They're more natural looking, have better defined details (on the backpack, the heads and the recesses it's very noticeable), have a ton of bits (love the interchangeable combi-weapon), the legs and arms feel more natural... They are better overall and well worth he small price increase if you ask me. Also, since the detail and overall shapes are more defined /and a bit more angular) it's way easier to apply washes and paint to the details with better results. I had two "old" Marine squads and bought a new Tactical one a few months ago and was very impressed on all those improvements and yet, they blend in seamlessly with the rest of the Marines.

I don't have pictures as I was using one box to replace models I wasn't happy with throughout my Battle Company, but I agree that they're fantastic. Different armour marks, so many weapon choices and a number of different poses possible. They don't look so shiny that they can't fit in with the older plastics, but they do look different enough that they provide a little bit of variety (if that makes sense).

If it wasn't for the fact that they wife would be forevermore storing parts of my anatomy in a jar, I would definitely be replacing all of my Tactical Squads with these boxes, purely for the satisfaction of building them.

Retailation: those look really good. I actually like the non robed ones better just because of the flexibility in the parts, but it's a good tip that they changed the chest pieces somewhat.

Haven't gotten them painted yet, Brother Prot, but here's a squad I did mixing a bunch of kits, including the new Tactical kit: Squad Thenulaen

I dunno if I'll use them as DA but I noticed you kept the left shoulder pad bare, is the chapter transfer going on there? (I've heard some difficulties with using that.)

I think grabbing the vet sprue and sprinkling in the odd DA bit is the way to go. I would not want to mess with the aesthetic value of the new pieces too much. I finished putting together one squad as Fists, but the second one might be heavily accessorized with DA bitz and I can just blend the two squads and have a really fresh look to my DA with those 20 plastic dudesmen.

Oh, I don't use them as DA directly, my Stoneburners only use the downward pointed sword with the tip engulfed in flame as their Chapter icon. You can easily swap the sword pauldrons from the DA Vet sprue onto the shoulders of the new kit. I actually prefer free-handing icons though, you can do more with them, like variations, etc. One of the really neat things in the DA Codexes through the years is just how many variations of the DA Chapter icon you can find. These are suits of armor that have lasted milleniums, there's probably going to be some variation in markings, it gets a little boring otherwise, IMO.

That's one of the reasons I don't find the Fist/Hands Chapters or the Ultramarine Chapter (and some of their progeny) all that interesting: zero real variation in how to paint their icons, you really can't alter them any (you can give them some additions, but can't change the icon itself), whereas Chapters like the Black Templars, Blood Angels, DA, White Scars, even the Iron Snakes and some other Successor Chapters all have icons where you can play with the design a bit and still have it recognizable as belonging to that Chapter.

While I haven't gotten around to using the new tac box.  Not too long ago I finished a Company Veteran Squad using Bolt Pistols/Chainswords leftover from the vanguard box, with the bodies/torsos of the Sternguard box.  The Sternguards make excellent Sergeants whom, when I'm not fielding as Vets will most likely be my squad sarges.  The 5 of them are mixed/matched with the DA version.

Archived