imperial knight's stomp

uldrick

in my last game with on e of my friends, we decided to test a few knights. what we found....mind buggling... was that it seems that a few rules were badly choosed/worded

and by that, i mean:

-stomp and smash

are the attacks made with stomps benefit from smash? are they really str6 ap2? an he forgoes the D3 attacks to make a single one at s10 ap2?, i cant seem to fond the rule that prevent that from happening.

what made us think about that was the fact that if it doesnt affect the stomp attack, then the smashing special rules is completly irrelevant on this model as all his melee attacks ares at better AP since it's using his big melee weapon and already strike at strenght D

-move thought cover

is it just me or the ''move throught cover'' for a model that normaly moves 12'' is a bit...bad, roll 2 D6, pick highest, and see yout knight move at maximum half speed?

i cant find that rule for model moving faster than 6''/turns

so, am i mistaken or are these rules not clear?

Smash doesn't apply to Stomp actually. In the rulebook, you have a Stomp table in the Super Heavy Walker section that explains the effect of the Stomp attacks ;)

It's a bit like a D weapon, you roll on a table, on a 1, nothing happens, on a 2-5 each model suffers a S6 AP4 hit and on a 6 they are removed as a casualty.

Move through cover means you roll 3d6 rather than 2. It's all explained in the rulebook in the special rules section, although your Knight will be limited to 6" tops apparently. That's not too bad in my humble opinion : it's a massive walker, and going through a building will mean it will get obscured more than a simple Dreadnought who would just have to blast a small part of a window.

That stomp question is rather interesting...

Hmmm, it can be debated it's ap2.

hopefully, a FAQ will clarifies this, but those rules ( stomp+smash and move throught cover) are acting weird on an imperial knight, and i am surprised that these questions werent raised before

Smash only affects a model's "close combat attacks".

Stomp is not a "close combat attack"; instead, it is a "special type of attack".

It is, however, "a special type of attack that is occurs in close combat". It is also made at I1, which could be indicative that it's a "close combat attack".

Against the argument though, is the fact that the middle result for stomp has its own AP value. Every model in the game that can Stomp, also has Smash. Since they're well aware of that (right?), if they meant Stomps to be AP2 with Smash, they should have just had it as AP2 instead of 4.

Since they have two separate values, and because Stomp is not a close combat attack, I would rule that Stomps are not affected by Smash.

The "aware of the rules" argument lost water for me when they changed strikedown(it only makes those hit move through difficult terrain for a turn, nothing else anmore. So half initiative. So its just about useless in CC) and kept it on the new unique knight errant that just came out. Or how barrage got better through game mechanics and vertical hieght only exists for unit coherency. I don't think they are aware of all the rules interactions.

I would wager that it was just put on from a pre-exisitng template for big stompy things and doesn't do anything, unfortunately. Since stomp has it's own table and doesn't use the knights actual strength I would say it's not AP2. I believe the 2-5 result is supposed to be the shock-wave/upheaval of the ground around the foot and the 6 result is actually being crushed underfoot.

• 4 weeks later...

smash does not affect stomp, and you cannot swap your hit out for a s10 ap 2 one because you make d3 rolls on a table. And the most common way i see super heavy walkers played is to roll 3d6 (because move through cover) and double top result

Archived