Subjugators - One Of Everything!

Valkyrion

The time for procrastination is over. 

Sort of.

I don't know what to collect. I don't know what direction to take my hobby. The hobby part of my brain is like 'ooo, let's do a bike army, but with dreadnoughts. Loads of dreadnoughts. Like more dreadnoughts than bikes. With scouts in storms, and air support, and loads of combat squads in razorbacks. I love razorbacks, a dozen razorbacks lead by a MOTF in a Land Raider. No, a Land Raider ACHILLES, with Chronus in it and loads of SGV bursting out of an entire drop pod army, in rhinos, riding bikes. With jump packs.'

So, to curb my hobby ADD I thought I may as well collect one of everything. That is to say, for the time being at least, one of every unit entry in Codex Space Marines.

But which chapter? Oh no, there goes my brain again. I grab a bunch of old marines and spray them black. It's raining, because it's England, so I spray them in my kitchen. After passing out from the fumes I realise that my tea/coffee/sugar jars all have a nice layer of black dust on them. After passing out from the whack on the head dished out to me by the missus I finally tuck into the dozen or so primered minis.

I do a yellow one. And a blue one. A black one, purple, brown, and shades of green I didn't even know existed. I liked the brown. So, desert themed Raptors it is. Then GW discontinue the Mentors shoulder pads. I don't do transfers. One of the green dudes is looking at me. I look back. It's probably just my imagination, but I swear he gave me the thumbs up.

Green dudes it is.

But which green dudes?

Death Knights? No shoulder pads. Invaders? No shoulder pads. Sons of Medusa? Meh. Salamanders? Hmmm....I try and paint some flames on a shoulder pad. Not salamanders. Subjugators? Idiosyncratic Dornian zealots with a name suggesting pure unadulterated dominance? We have a winner.

I know technically the Fist icon is reversed, but it's near enough and it'll do for me.

Now, I'm worse at taking pictures than I am at painting, and I'm not too great at that - my hand shakes like a monkey with a tambourine - but this topic will serve as a source of motivation.

So here we go, first up with a bad picture of some SGV, the first of (hopefully) many more (they aren't based as I'm still deciding how to base them...)

http://i61.tinypic.com/2akiqa1.jpg

For a tambourine monkey, those are awfully well painted.  Quite the fun monologue there, too :lol:

I've never heard of these guys, but they certainly do sound Dornian.  The yellow-green color scheme is pretty eye catching, too, sorta like Mantis Warriors but without all the kung fu.  Getting a color scheme that bright on a black basecoat must've been interesting.

Now drill your damn barrels :P

Drill barrels....I know, I know! I could lie and say I don't have a drill, but the truth is I do have a drill but am too lazy to find the bits to stick in it!

I'll dig it out at the weekend...

Moot green, the lightest of the greens I think, goes on surprisingly well over black, certainly better than warpstone green does, so it's simply a case of two 'wet' brushes over black followed by a Nuln Oil wash and then a Biel Tan wash once the first wash has dried. That's it; done.

I agree about the yellow, it is very mantis warrior. I might try red on the VGV but it might be a little christmassy....I didn't want red purity seals and red tabards. Red  on green is eye catching enough in spots and I thought the tabards might be overkill. Maybe bone? I have trouble with bone though...

Anyway, cheers for the comments. It's only taken me (almost) five years to finally post a picture on here!

I managed to pick up half a land raider on ebay for about £10 (no sponsons or hatches or anything) which will be this weeks project. I'm gonna do squad - vehicle - character in that order to try and keep it interesting. The last thing I want is to have half a dozen tanks to paint, or 40 infantry models.

The hobby ADD side of my brain is already nudging me, saying 'do the same with Chaos, do the same with Chaos!' but I'm ignoring it. 

For now.

A completed Land Raider (minus FW doors I'm waiting for)

I picked this up cheap on ebay minus the cupolas and heavy bolters that I had to rummage around for. I noticed the sponsons were missing the top sensor bit, but they had already been assembled upside down so the spares I have wouldn't fit. I've also now realised I've forgotted to add smoke launchers...

http://i59.tinypic.com/2i8k8i0.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/xnt0r6.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/igx69w.jpg

Next up; Techmarine!

Archived