ICON - 1850 - Nationally Ranked Tournament

Morticon

Hey guys, 

so tomorrow myself and 7 other mates take a 26hour train journey up-country (for the "lols" - as opposed to the plane) to participate in a very well known (locally) 40k tourney at the ICON gaming/role-playing event.  Its the last ever 6th ed tourney and the BA will be out in a show of force!!

I've been practising for the last 6 weeks tweeking the list to what I'm comfortable with and finally settled on something a little risky, but never-the-less fun.   I'm wanting to keep it a surprise for now (since those Northerners have their spies everywhere).

Its also a ranked tourney, which means i'm hoping to get my name back to the #1 spot in the country.  Nigel (aka: DirtyRat) and Ryno (aka: DecoyOps) are also heading up.  Check out Decoy's GKs if you guys get the chance.  

I will keep you posted if possible and, of course, batreps will follow!!! 

Stay tuned!!! 

For what its worth, i've played 12 games so far with my list (or small variations on it) and have come out with:

1 draw vs.  SM - chaptac UM.

5 Losses vs. 2x Orks, 1x GK, 1x DA, 1x Sisters

and

6 Wins vs. 2xDA, Crons, Tau..and i forget the others O_o

I'm not too fussed about the GK loss and the Ork losses.  The second was a scratched game on account of opponents list being over points.  Both times though, the losses were slight, and could have easily been changed.  His new list however...diff story.

The GK game saw me with the worst dice ive ever had in my life - and even then, i almost took him. So, again, not toooo fussed.  So, not a sterling record, but considering the situation, I'm comfortable! 

I've been practising for the last 6 weeks tweeking the list to what I'm comfortable with and finally settled on something a little risky, but never-the-less fun.   I'm wanting to keep it a surprise for now (since those Northerners have their spies everywhere).

Anyone fancy having a guess as to his list?

I reckon it's something like this:

Mephiston

Damocles

Legion of the Damned

Fragioso in Pod

RAS in Lasplas

RAS in Lasplas

RAS in Assback

7 VVs

2 Attack Bikes

2 Attack Bikes

Fire Raptor

Stormraven

Ahoy guys!!

I'm almost tempted to see more guesses at the list!!

Sadly no fw, stronghold or escalation allowed in this one.

My list is:

Mephiston

WS chap master biker with bling

1x fragioso

5x tacs- las/plas raz

5x asm - flmr- las/plas raz

5x asm - flmr- las/plas raz

5x asm - melta- drop pod

2x 2 attk biks- 2mm

2x ravens

Competition is VERY strong. Solid gamers and no ones messing around.

I have 3wins on game one! All incredible games. 2 games tomorrow.

First vs daemons (who pipped nigel 5-4 in round three!) If it wasn't for that, I wlda played nige!

Nice one! smile.png What place did you take?

Jolemai nailed it :P Well, some of it.

You guys will have to wait for the batreps.

In the meanwhile, the list I played game one:

GK:

Corteaz

Techmarine with grenades

Inquisitor with grenades

vindicare

6x Assassins, Priest

5x Jokaero, maybe an acolyte or two

Chimera

6x Assassins

Land Raider

2x 3man Acolytes in Razors

Dreadknight - psilencer, heavy psycannon

Storm Raven - psybolt

MISSION- Pitched Battle - 4 objectives

No Additional Special Rules (other than standard)

He got first turn.

My opponent won first turn, and set up what appeared to be a fire-base and a counter assault unit on his Skyshield.

His inquisitor with Liber Heresius made the Land Raider scouting with the one killy squad and and the raven was carrying the other one. Basically two very hardcore fighty units that I would need to deal with at range or not at all. Those grenades would be way too deadly otherwise.

I deployed to avoid as much incoming fire as I could, keeping the Master out of shot from the Vindicare to avoid the shieldbreaker rounds. But, infiltrate places last, so he was able to get a bead on me irrespective.

His psychic powers (prescience and perfect timing) meant that rerolls with the Joakaero's lascannons and ignore cover would be scary. In the first turn, the landraider started flanking on the right - its because of that, that I had kept off 1 squad of MM attack bikers, and also a walking squad of marines. The other squad being in a Raven.

I got lucky with some of my saves, and managed to prevent major damage from almost everything, except those twinlinked, ignore cover jokaero lascannons which wound up taking First Blood on a Razorback. The shieldbreaker Vindy hit and wounded, but i was lucky enough to LoS the shot to a biker.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6413_zpsb39d6706.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6414_zps87d9e545.jpg

In my turn, I brought down the dread behind the raider. Aside from that, I played very conservatively. I needed to wait for the landraider to make a further move, or get my bikers or Ravens in before I launched any major offensive, and luckily there wasn't enough fire pressure from him and enough cover for me to weather the storm until then. The dread was successful only in getting a hull point off the raider, but where I lucked out was with a wound from the Orbital Bombardment which wounded (and killed) the Vindicare. Cheeky shot, for sure!

In his turn two, his raven stayed off, (thanks to my warlord trait i think) but his razor squad came on and took one of the top objectives in his deployment. His raider inched forward more towards Meph and the Master. The knight walked down and into the terrain to get a little closer.

I took some more random shots, but again, nothing major although, i did lose another razor- and the dready survived incoming Las shots.

In my turn two, 1 raven came on, as did the pod squad. I really needed the MM attack bikers, but alas they werent interested. I faced the raven off against the DK, hoping to drill it some. I marched the dread up towards his objective where the pod had come down to try take on the razorsquad that had arrived. Mephy and the Master repositioned, but still stood out of combat. I needed them to be sure of what they charged and when they charged or else I would lose. I was also terrified of the grenade squads dry.png

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6416_zps9040f5be.jpg

The melta pod squad failed to do anything of substance (stunned, or shaken i think?), and the dready just ran closer - unable to get in range for anything.

I took another HP off the raider, but nothing really else. I think I did 1 wound to the DK. Nothing else.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6417_zps359d0d60.jpg

Turn 3 saw his raven come on and face off on the flank where they needed support. He also decided it was time to charge and get out of the raider. He made quick work of the dread with a MM from the raven, and the Raider squad took out the MM attack bikers with ease. The squad on the right was whittled down to 2 men. I took random hits here and there otherwise - biggest luck of the turn was him having 5 rerolled lascannon shots at my raven, which missed!!

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6419_zps4a945199.jpg

In my turn 3, my bikers stay off, as does my raven - my 5mens came on, though and I load them up in the only functional razor.

Mephy and the Captain position themselves to shoot and charge (if necessary) the assassin squad. I move my raven to intercept his. The raider is still alive. I stun his raven, and force jink saves. The Assassin squad is taken out by the combined arms of what I have available and the charge by Meph and the Master. I consolidate into cover again, away from those lascannons. My 2 man squad eventually charged and took out the last HP from the Razorsquad.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6420_zpsbe2b8419.jpg

His turn four saw his DK sensing the urgency and move foward into the fray. His other Razor squad ramped off the skyshield and made its way to the more central objective. His raven passed the psychic test and was mobile again, making a bead towards my main forces. He also shot off the scoring unit i had on the far left, meaning i would need to move my remaining 3 tactical marines there in order to secure an objective. I only had one more viable scoring unit on the ground,as i knew the 2 man squad up top wasn't going to survive.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6418_zpsd9d00da3.jpg

I took random hits here and there, but otherwise nothing much to report- the landraider was becoming a pain.

With my reserves finally arriving, i launched a full offensive. Mephy went out to engage and take care of the troops in the razor, while the Master moved out to engage the DK. My raven moved to intercept his, my 2 man squad moved to kill his 3man acolytes and the MM bikers tried to take out that raider. I repositioned my other raven so that the men inside could support the 2man, and the raven itself could target the enemy razor squad.

The turn was successful and the raven was downed as were the 3man acolytes. The raider was only immobed, but the other razor squad was also blown up and then forced into a break. I got the tactical squad (3men remaining) behind as much cover as possible.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6421_zps6e7ba46e.jpg

Turn 5 was looking promising, but still tricky. He ramped his chimera down, and split off Corteas to make separated shots from the jokaero. That move and the subsequent shooting saw me lose the 5man, but the 2man stayed strong. I also lost mephy (i think?) (2 wounds previously from shooting and failed checks, and maybe even a DT or plasma gun fail in overwatch! I cant remember exactly now). I also lost a tac marine, but luckily the rest were hid from sight and i passed morale.

In my turn, the 1 raven focussed on the now lone Warlord. I went into clean up mode and did exactly that.

The game ended with me claiming the top right objective, the bottom right, and the far left, with the central one being uncontested.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6422_zps03d230f5.jpghttp://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/ICON%20-%202014%20-%20WH40k%20-%201850/IMG_6423_zpsc10ee4ed.jpg

Wow... that deployment! This game could have gone very badly right from the start for that GK player! 

Do you know what I'm getting at? ;) Hindsight is 20/20 of course but it's something I really noticed looking at the first pictures! 

I'll give you a hint. A skyshield landing pad is about 3" high, ancient fighty coffin with giant flechette cannon is just below 3" tall ;)  His best counter, the dreadknight, is definitely taller than 3"!

I also saw that you dropped the dread behind the LR, any special reason? I've done this a few times out of habit but in general it's much better to drop in front. He's got a killy unit inside that he wants to push forward but isn't interested in fighting with the dread.

AV is same all around on a LR and from the looks of it you could have dropped the pod in front for a cover from the raider weapons and used that hill to avoid the enemies on the sky shield. 

Pod is also a 5" movement blocker since the hull is 3" wide and he has to stay 1" away when moving. 

Archived