Jump Packs, Assault, intervening model and difficult terrain

GreyCrow

Just 2 quick questions !

If a Jump Unit decides to use its jump pack in the assault phase, the Skyborne section says that it moves freely over models and terrain.

Does that mean that :

1) They ignore the -2" penalty for charging through difficult terrain ? Although they would take a dangerous terrain test if they landed inside difficult terrain

2) They can charge over intervening models of another unit ?

Thanks !

I'm confused by the -2 as well, since it's listed in the reference table. Jump units using jump packs assaulting through difficult terrain can reroll the dice, but still subtract -2. It doesn't specify if this only affects the jumpers if they start/end on difficult terrain, or having difficult terrain in the middle (even if they don't touch it) already means -2. By RAW, I think you get -2 either way. By intent, I'd say you only get it if you start/end on it.

As for assaulting over other units, no rule says otherwise.

With my BA I rarely take advantage of the pack during the assault phase, but for a RG player I understand how this can be important :D

I would say that:

1. No, seeing as they are charging through the cover and not necessarily over it
  2. Yes, but they would still need to engage the nearest model, etc

I would say that:

1. No, seeing as they are charging through the cover and not necessarily over it
  2. Yes, but they would still need to engage the nearest model, etc

That's the confusion... the Skyborne rule says :

"When using its jump pack (whether moving, charging or Falling Back, as we'll discuss in a moment), a model can move over all other models and all terrain freely"

Then they specify that if you go from or into difficult terrain, you have to take a dangerous terrain test.

They would be able to jump over other units, but they would also be moving over difficult terrain, and not through it. At least that's my understanding, but nothing in the rulebook is very clear about that. The Charge through Difficult Terrain specifically says "through" not "over" like the skyborne rule says.

Very unclear that is... And yeah, for Raven Guard lists, it can be very useful, because that makes jump infantry totally worth it !

I think a good litmus test is "Do assault grenades matter here?" In other words, is the unit you are assaulting in the terrain? For instance, an Aegis Defence line wouldn't matter, since you can clear over it, but a unit in ruins would give you the -2

Archived