Battle report: footslogging DW. part 2!

Part 1: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/293871-battle-report-the-return-of-footslogging-dw/ for those that missed it.

Part 2!

Again Chaos as opponent. A re match but my opponent used a differnet list with some proxies.

My List:

Belial - SB, SoS

Librarian: TDA lvl2 . Telekinesis! (more on that later)

5 DWK

2x 5 DWT: AC, 1 TH&SS

2x 5 DWT: Cyclone

2x 3 bikes with 2 meltas, 1 AB w/MM

Chaos:

Chaos Lord, MOK, AXe of blind fury, aura

sorceror, MoN,lvl2

4 terminators: reaper AC, MOT

9 Khorne berzerkers, rhino. AC w/ PF

10 CSM, rhino. AC w/PF

2x10 cultists

2x2 oblits w/ MOT

10 havocs: 4 AC

helldrake with baleflamer

hellbrute

Mission 6, but we rolled for deploy, we got opposite side.

My opponents sets up first and he was already sitting on objectives so he got 3 on turn 1 with minimal movement, execpt for hellbrute on a flank and rhinis coming straight at me.. I out of sight of almost everything so he only got a psyker power for -1 strenght.

My turn begins and I was already losing by 3. I decide to deesptrike right in the middle, next to cultists guardian an objective I had to take twice! Belial and libbie open up on the cultists after my 2 awesome telekineses psyker power (shockwave and psychic maelstrom) fail.  I still manage to kill a few cultists but they pass Ld check. at the end of the turn I manage 2 obj.

Turn 2 rolls in with an heldrake...

rhinomounted squads disembark, and he opens up, killing a couple of DWT and a DWK.. Librarian suffers a wound. His oblits charge the DWK hoping that I would save smite for later and trusting their 4++ inv. I decide to smite away and swat them like flies... First blood!

My turn comes in and I get an AB that moves towards havocs. Belial splits and goes for havocs, DWK go for dismounted CSM, Libbie goes for cultists holding obj I need. Mthe libbie shows off the shockwavemkilling 1 havoc, 5 cultists from one squad, 2 from another, 1 hull point from each rhino and 1 CSM And I forgot to use preferred enemy. ;) termies shot and finish rhino and kill a models here and there. DWK assault CSM killing the whole lot, belial and AB kill 5 havocs, libbie finishes one cultists squad, a squad of DWT assault Chaos lord and zerkers in hope to tarpit but die in the process and some DWT assault and kill hellbrute. All this action netted me 5 objectives!!!

Turn 3.

Helldrake goes for the libbie and kills it with flamer. Chaos lord and zerkers assault the DWK. Incredibly they can't kill the DWK and suffer 2 casualties. Chaos termies and sorcer go for the  DWT that killed the helbrute and manage an assault.. with SS DWT surviving. Opponent manages 2 more objectives, but loses havocs to belial and AB.

My turn rolls in and I got the rest of reserves which take out a HP of the heldrake. 1 DWT squad assault zerkers. The CSM lord kills the DWK champion but the zerkers get all killed in return. The SS termie stil resists the CSM termies alone, killing one in return.

I manage 2 more objectives. My AB kills the 2 cultist squad but suffers a wound from overwatch.

Turn 4  the heldrake flames the AB , rhino goes for obj (I forgot it was still alive) and the valiant terminator finally falls. The Chaos lord seeing himself surrounded by so many Inner circle members cowers in fear and makes no wounds dying from overdose of fists and maces. Still oponnent fulfills 1 more objective.

I just shuffle stuff around  kill the pesky rhino and 2 oblits, also netting 2 objectives.

Turn 5 my opponent just moves termies while heldrake flies off table. I move to try and get bead on the termies  in alter turns.. but game is over. Total 13 to 9.

This one was closer!!!

Observations:

I feel my opponent had a tougher list this time, still I had resilience enough and mobility to capture objectives and avoiding some conflicts.

The telekinesis powers were a nice surprise, I feel they complement the DS DWK squad but I need another go at them.

Replacing 2 cyclones for 2 AC's didn't impact much . I felt more confident having more infantry shots. The DWK really need a buff in numbersbut I am at a loss where to get points for a couple more DWK's.

Nice report. Playing boldly and positively saves the day :tu:. By the way - unless I missed it - what did you put into reserves / deepstrike first turn?

Cheers

I

I put the RW squads in reserve and the DWK+Libby+Belial used DS on turn 1. I do this for several reasons: I keep the bikes out of harm's way until I have clear objectives and threats to take out. The DWK DS in on turn one so I can get an objectve and distract opponent from the rest of the termies.. so far it worked.

Nice report and I like the thought that's gone into your deployment. I really must try out a similar list myself (the only variation for me is that I don't quite have enough melta bikers yet - need to build some more first!). But a nice report and good to see tat 5 DWK are good enough.

I like your list.....

Your opponent's list is a bit better. But what I would recommend for him:

- Sorc with Mon? Why? If you really want to make a MoN character, give him a DP, MoN, wings, armour: You now have a 2+ Jinking (while gliding) Monstrous Creature that can tear apart anything.

- Sorc with only 2 WC's? Okay, but at least take Spell familiar to almost guarantee everything goes off (it's the best piece of psyker wargear in the codex)

- Fists on AC's are REALLY difficult to get mileage out of. (forced to challenge/accept often means they're dead before swinging). Save a ton of points, take them off.

- Deep strike Oblits. These guys are ace, and cannot get tied in CC.

- Termicide: With only 4 models, I would never go AC. Get them combi plasma and enjoy deep strike + 6-8 plasma shots on the way in.

- Chaos lord. That lord is VERY close to just taking Khârn. Khârn is beast mode and confers 2+ deny the witch to his squad.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry I had to get that out of my system. lol

I apologize, but his list is still playing very sub-optimal. I realize you guys are having fun games, and that's all that counts at the end of the day. I should just shut my mouth but if he is wondering where to improve.... there's room for him. (If he's happy, just ignore this. )

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting points on the AC vs. Cyclone. I bounce between them myself. I really like the AC in infantry heavy games, and always change it after I get whooped by IG parking lot. lol

I don't know how you get more Termies in that list. It's pretty tight. I like this list a lot better than your last one though. How were the bikes?

Prot, I will convey your thoughts to my friend he's still novice in Chaos and I'mstill novice in Chaos.. I try my best to help him (that's why his list was better this time) and I will convey yout thoughs to him on army and tactics. I'm sure they will be apreciated. HE did however take spell familiar on the Chaos Sorceror and he managed to get off every psyker power he wanted. Turns out that most of the times he only had enough dice to cast one power reliable even counting with the familiar re-rolls.

As for my part:

Bikes did they're job. smile.png Three (2 bike squads and 1 AB) only came in turn 3 ...(I think I have to check on reserve rolls for this kind of odd squads DA have ) when I already did a severe blow to my opponents army so they didn't have much to do. They took a hull point out of the Heldrake and help me fulfill some obectives. The AB bikes also helped me. One of them charged the Havoc squad together with posing as a overwatch distraction and helping tanking some hits (because we all know how fickle is 2+ save when we need it). Another bravely shot and charegd fight cultists, wiping them out and helping me claim an objective. For me, so far, bikes never disapointed, they always do something useful and are worth their points. Still, I was tempted to remove 1 bike squad with AB to fit in 2 Typhoon speeders. I don0t know if it will work, but I want to give it a try.

AC vs Cyclones.. eternal debate. One thing is for sure Plasma cannon won't be an option. msn-wink.gif I think I'll keep the AC's for the time being, but I do need to play against other armies to know for sure.

Funny that my plan to only have a TH&SS worked, and I'm tempted to remove them all. The DWK create such a distraction that most of the AP2 is headed their way!!

My next list:

Belial

Librarian TDA, lvl2, force stave with Lion's roar (a member of this forum pointed out that the Lion's roar is not one use only and FAQ doesn't say otherwise)

5 DWK

2x 5 DWT with cyclone

2x 5 DWT with AC's

3 bikes (2 meltas), AB w/MM

2x Typhoon, HB, cyclone.

I loose 2 TH&SS, 2 meltas and 1 MM but I gain 2 cyclones, 2 HB's 2 Storm bolters and one mini plasma cannon.tongue.png

It's hard to believe that it's only 1500 pts. (I'm on my phone so I can't double check). I say this because you have so many terminators while having a nice mix of good support.

I really like this list. Might be the only belial list I can conceive of using on 7th ed with maelstrom. It's amazing how many termies you can get by forgetting lamdraiders and the air game

do you prefer sos on belial or is it because of the model?

It's 1850 pts actually. :)

About Belial, I admit with this setup TH/SS would be better because of the 3++ and the AP2 that the DWK lack most of the time, but I fielded a TH Belial for so many years that I want to use SoS Belial for a change. Plus his 5+ precision shot sometimes shines and kills a character.

I like this list a lot. I am tweaking it to see if I can fit my Black Knights in.

If I'm willing to go with 3 x 5 DWT (as my only troops), I can fit in 5 Black Knights with Grenade, and remove on Typhoon., throw in 5 tacticals with a Plasma.

That's the trade off. I don't know if it is a good trade off but I'm bored of my Az-zeke Bomb lists even though they have been very successful.

I have a game lined up this week (don't know against who yet) but I'm itching to get some Belial action. The only thing I'm doing different with the DWT squads is keep on Hammer/Shield per unit, and if I'm playing anti AP 2, he stays in fronts and tanks for the squad (it works every once in a while.)

Here's a conundrum; I have committed to playing Imperial Fists. Friends think my IF's look way better than my DA (which between you and me did crush me a bit).

But the ironic thing is that it is through playing IF's (the Space Marine codex generally speaking) that I re-discovered the asset of some of the Dark Angel stuff that so many people are quick to discard and write off!

The perfect example in your list:

1. Even be able to Deep Strike in turn 1

2. Ensure all termies DO arrive on turn 1, or turn 2

3. Twin-linked on Deep Strike

4 (with Belial) No deviation

5. Split Fire

6. (with Belial/Az) Troops

Play 'regular cheap' Terminators for a while. See how much those 5 things mean to you. lol

My problem is (and I've said this a million times) the other codexes have gone beyond reasonable in the abundance of AP2/AP3 weaponry available. Thus making it crucial to mix in proper support.

I have found it so easy to become enamored with Deathwing (even Ravenwing too) and get caught up in getting as many termies as possible, leaving yourself very vulnerable to a few metas.

But your list removes my issues with pure Deathwing, and the unit I love to hate: Landraiders. They just don't work in my area (my last IF game, a pile of crappy Orks came out of a wagon and I took 7 pens in one turn on it! I give up using LR's.)

Anyway, your list inspired me to try this out. I probably won't batrep it because I have zero confidence in my ability to play this list. Plus my opponents take my DA very seriously now since my Az-bomb stuff has really gotten to them. And of course I'm supposed to be playing my new IF's. lol

I won't even take regular Terminators from Space Marines. I'm too spoiled by this, even at the price.

Even you you don't battle report, send me a PM then. ;)

And for your woes with LR's vs orks: same thing happened to me. One woud think their lack of ranged S9/s10 would make it safe for LR's but actually it's not true.

That's what motivated me to ressurect the footslogging terminators.

This is actually a really inspiring thread. I've not had a game since 6th ed came out and I have felt that I needed to get lots of new toys into a list, but actually, this is an achievable list, which I can pretty much already achieve with some minor tweaking, so I may give a similar list a whirl and let you know how it goes.

Should probably buy the new rulebook first though...

I am thinking of running a variant of your list tonight. (it's either this or Chaos. :) )

- Libby w/Lion's Roar (cool wargear I've never used.)

- Belial

- 5x DWT: 1 H/S, 1 Cyclone

- 5x DWT: 1 H/S,  1 Cyclone

- 5x DWT: 1 H/S, 1 Assault Cannon

- 5 x DW Knights

- 5 Black Knights, Grenade (this is 210 points that I am not sure of, but I love these stupid bikes. lol )

- 5 RW Bike Attack Squad: 3 bikes (2 melta), MM Attack Bike,  (155)

- Typhoon

- Tacticals 5 marines 90pts.Plasma gun. Melta bombs.

This is 1850 exactly and it is obviously based off of Lucifer's and is very new to me.

Sounds good!

The tactical squad permit some agressiveness conquering objectives and supporting the DWK in case of need. The RWBK will also play a good part on it, they can soften up stuff to DWK to assault.

Don't forget taht the Lion's roar is not"one shot "only so you can use it a lot. What will you choose for psyker table? Telekinesis is nice

because of:

Primaris beam weapon.

power one is interesting because of D& ap and 2d6 strenght

power two is very nice to cast on an enemy shooty squad that targets the DWK.

power 3 is a very cool 2d6 shots nova

power 4 can make the DWK redeploy to cap an ojective.

power 5is cool to have to cast on friendlies (RWBK specially)

power 6 is S10 AP1 large blast love.. nuff said!

I'm pretty much sold on the telekinesis for a DS librarian. ;)

best of luck. Give some feedback later. :D

Hmm, well for psychic powers  this list isn't suited for Divination really. However in the past I've used Telepathy and hoped for Invis and Shrouded (I was giving Azrael's squad a 2+ cover with it in ruins on an objective one game... that was sick combined with his feel no pain.

But I'm going to try Telekenisis.

primaris is good anti horde. (Not sure what "strikedown" is.)

Power 1 seems...okay. Power 5 could be handy. But 6 is incredible... I"ll never get it off though. lol

I'll keep the DWK's on their own. I think Belial and the Libby will team up with a 5 man DWT squad.

Archived