That new SW flyer!

knife&fork

Who's getting one? 

I need one or two of those baby-caestuses badly.

Actually I like this one best of the normal GW space marine flyers! It's a bit on the small side but looks a lot more like I had hoped the storm raven would look like. Not as versatile as the storm raven but much better weapon options. My only concern is the lack of turret mounted weapons. 

I personally like the stormraven, and love the stormtalon, both models look a lot better than the wolf flyers. At the same time, The transport one kind of fits the boarding torpedo theme quite nicely, and it's growing on me. The one with the big ray of doom looks quite awful. They're almost the same, but somehow they are very different. I think my brain justifies the brick with the transport capacity, and the assault ramp. But when you take that away, the brick doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm not sure I'll be getting one. I kind of want to, but at the same time I already have a raven and I don't play games big enough to include both. Then again, I do want to play my Sons Of Thunder with the wolf dex, and I don't want to relly on allies to bring the flyer fun in, so I'll probably end up getting a stormfang. But for now I'll wait till the dex is out to decide if I really want to give it a go.

Just curious; how would this fit into a Blood Angels army?  Will you ally it in or will it be a proxy?

I'll be running it with a SW detachment. I have some 'knights of blood' BA successors that can double for any allied marines. Just need to get rid of that wolf iconography. 

I want Thunderwolf cavalry, so for me it'll have to be allies :)

Being battle brothers, the DC can embark in the ram, so it fulfills a similar role to the Raven, with a different weapon loadout. Don't know which one I like more, but 2 twinlinked multi-meltas do sound nice, and a TL F6 FP3 Blast too :) (not to mention the TL LC)

It would all depend on the slots each fill in the FOC, so need to see the codex first. Unbound is not hot in my group, battle-forged is the safe way to go. If both stormfang and thunderwolf are fast attack, and there's no way to make thunderwolves troops (as seen in one of them crazy rumours), I'd have to make the wolves my main detachment :O

I'd never include the stormfang to proxy a stormraven. I like the raven model so much more :)

I'd have to make the wolves my main detachment ohmy.png

I'd never include the stormfang to proxy a stormraven. I like the raven model so much more smile.png

That's not how detachments work in 7th. A battleforged list can contain multiple 'normal' detachments, they are called combined arms detachments now.

The difference is that you would have to pick 1 HQ and 2 troops minimum, just like main detachments worked in 6th. Pay that HQ and troop tax and you are free to max out any slot.

Thanks Knife, you're right I could take 2 combined arms detachments, a wolf one and a BA one, it's just I keep thinking in terms of primary and allied :)...That would be legal too, wouldn't it?...Combined arms wolves with allied BAs? (or vice-versa)? I know troops are very important and all, but the other slots are just more fun ;)

Thanks Knife, you're right I could take 2 combined arms detachments, a wolf one and a BA one, it's just I keep thinking in terms of primary and allied smile.png...That would be legal too, wouldn't it?...Combined arms wolves with allied BAs? (or vice-versa)? I know troops are very important and all, but the other slots are just more fun msn-wink.gif

That's fine, but don't we BA have a ton of fun and spammable things as well? :)

This thing may be ugly, but it's still only half as ugly as a caestus tongue.png

Them be fighting words! :P

Honestly... People complained about the storm raven and LIKE the SW flyer monstrosity?!

How can you compare the silly thunderhawk shortbus to this thing? :P

Also this thing, stolen off the internets;

http://i.imgur.com/mE5DnSW.jpg

How can you compare the silly thunderhawk shortbus to this thing? tongue.png

To be fair. Stormraven can be converted to look half decent. This thing on the other hand literally looks like a dogs head. mellow.png I mean they are saying this thing is a flyer. The least they could do is to put some wings on it instead of dog ears. Shame because I kinda got excited when I heard the news. Oh well.

Haha yeah, as far as ugly things are concerned, this baby really takes the cake. Our Storm Raven is a Kate Upton compared to that... thing. But in a way the Stormfang is so ugly, you kind of start to love it. Like a typical Nicholas Cage flick. And unlike us, the Wolves aren't really known for their aesthetic sense, so it kind of fits eh?

Regarding its fire arc, the guns mounted on both sides of the cockpit can only fire at ground targets that are really far away, or on the top of a building, otherwise they'd go through the hull. Also, when you fire the TLLC, how do you decide what it can see?...What if, for whatever reason, the target can be seen by one but not by the other?...or what if one is hitting side armor and the other one is hitting rear armor? (same thing could happen with the raven's turret TL guns)

The turret cannon will have a similar problem with the hull and the wings.

Fire arcs for flyers are poorly thought / defined, but in this case, the flyer has been designed so that shooting right in front is fine, anything else will see you argue with your opponent. The only guns that can consistently be used against ground targets are the sponsons.

Archived