am I crazy or does gw just hate our masters and interrogator

aura_enchanted

I mean with the New ork codex fear and pinning are your primary weapons of war. And with the changes in 7th edition with sniper and barrage weapons not having pinning we can only generate it magically or by destroying troop transports (pinning thst is) if he's taken no transports then there goes that avenue.

It seems gw is bent on shoving us into a magic phase if we want to stand a chance against orks (or stacking fear everywhere, I find that a bit hurtful. I'm all for the use of psykers don't get me wrong but this really takes away from our tactics against the orks.

Orks used to be party codex. Theyd show up, everyone would chill out and the game would be a game again and it would be fun. Nobody ragged on anyone for taking less than optimal lists with questionable units, People wouldn't rule lawyer. Now they've taken away one of our most important defining characteristics. Now it's pointless to take the other hq's as you can simply toss telepathy at them.

I feel a bit cheated. I used to play with my ork buddy and use it as a chance to take my company masters and interrogators out for a spin. Now it feels so pointless.

Was there a constructive comment in there somewhere?

Would you simply run another HQ alongside a Librarian?

Perhaps you could have an attitude discussion with your gaming group, maybe they aren't the "fun folks" you want to play with any more?

Ah dude orks just got a healthy dose of much needed respectability. You can still do goofy things with them but now they actually have a great chance to win the game too. They are the newest codex, ergo they get new toys and builds that people want to try out. They cant be swept anymore, they have some long range anti tank, they have psuedo fleet, and they have super cheap troops. They have languished a long time they got a well deserved upgrade. Honestly I don't really see what your post has to do with your thread title our stuff is just fine, the sky is not falling. 

If you bring melee oriented HQ'S against Orks you're going to have a bad time, mkay. Company masters across the board don't have much love and our Chaplain is kind of out of place mechanically. Fluff wise they are both fine. If you have a friend that plays fluffy lists, I would suggest getting a few games in with them. Otherwise Librarians and named HQ's are probably the way to go.

Sorry but I don't think there is a reason to complain about GW pidgeon-holing us.

We are nomore and no less than any other chapter out there so there is no GW hate.

Furthermore you say and I quote:

I mean with the New ork codex fear and pinning are your primary weapons of war.

Asmodai causes fear.

Porta rack causes fear.

Perfidious relic of the unforgiven causes fear.

Then you have low Iiniative orks:

Mace of redemption causes blnd.

rift cannon causes blind.

conversion field causes blind

So you have Characters, vehicles and equipment that can exploit ork weakness wothout being forced to use a Librarian to win games (And I doubt the Librarian alone make the game an auto win). I'm not familiar with  the SM codex but I would bet they don't have that much as we do.

Our beloved Interrogator Chaplain Asomdai causes Fear

A Company Master can take a Perfidious Relic of the Unforgiven which causes Fear

A Porta Rack causes Fear and preferred enemy upon the bearer killing a character in combat

Our Dark Talon can drop large blasts which Blind our enemy or drastically debuff their melee skill via bombs

The Conversion Field will Blind a unit upon a failed I test.

The Mace of Redemption can Blind a whole unit with a failed I test.

We have grenades and bombs which lower initiative.

Orks typically have an initiative of 2. 

Given all that I do not think GW is crazy nor that our other HQ selections have no role to play in combating Orks should you equip them to do so.

Damn Lucifer you beat me to the post button :)

Yep. Orks can get worked over rather well (it could be done before too, as I can attest to having done so many times), as they now make use of this this new 40K rule called "Morale". laugh.png

Seriously, Gretchin untis are Ld 7 (at least as long as the Runtherders are alive), and Meganobz units are Ld 7. And the basic unit leader upgrades do NOT provide a Ld bonus to any unit (only the named characters/most HQs do). You are going to see Orks run away. A lot. And, as has already been mentioned, the DA have tons of stuff to mess with Orks, namely many things that take horrendous advantage of Ork's low Initiative and Leadership. I probalby wouldn't run any of the avoe mentioned units if playing a friend of mine who runs Orks, as it would be much too easy to table him. It just wouldn't be a challenge, no matter how well he played or how lucky he got. The odds would be stacked too greatly against him for him to have a chance of winning.

EDIT: And one more thing. We might see more Meganobz now that they have a plastic kit (even if they are overly expensive). Scary unit? Normally yes, but not for Dark Angels. A unit of Black Knights will kill them in one shooting phase using rad shells and Instant Death causing twin-linked plasma talons (freakin' brutal! laugh.png). And don't get me started on how Deathwing Knights are pretty much tailor-made to own Orks every day of the week. tongue.png

Added on to all of the other comments above, we also have the Standard of Devastation and the Monster Slayer of Caliban.

The first is of course a banner that turns our bolters into Salvo 2/4 weapons. We are PERFECTLY suited to killing Orks and potentially forcing those oh so dangerous Morale checks on them.

The second, while not being particularly popular, is a Power Sword that, gives a 33.3% chance of killing those pesky multi-wound models outright.

Seems to me that we're better qualified than almost any other chapter when it comes to dealing with Orks.

Edit: Just realised this post may not seem relevant to the thread but the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't seem to me like GW hate us. We're actually pretty well-rounded.

Archived