"Should" Successor Chapters take Darkshrouds?

Epimetheus13

Sammael-clones on jetbikes and LS Vengeances in Successor chapters can be explained away by "Standard Construction Templates" - but Darkshrouds are unique. In fact, even the Dark Angels can only field up to 10 of them (an exceedingly rare event.)

I field a Successors army (Guardians of the Covenant) and like to keep things fluffy....although 'legally' there's nothing stopping me fielding a Darkshroud, I'd rather have a good fluff reason.

What are folks' thoughts? For people running Successors, have you modelled it differently or come up with any 'headcanon' of your own?

Caliban was a big planet, and those ten statues weren't the only parts to be exposed to warp energy; it wouldn't be inconceivable for one or even all of the successor chapters to visit to the ruins of Caliban and collect little irradiated bits of home to use in their darkshrouds, especially after seeing what the parent chapter did with the original ten.

I had the same issue as I was going to do my own successor and wanted to be fluffy. I agree that it's likely there were more than 10 statues but the codex makes them sound pretty unique. I was thinking of painting a squad of bikes and the darkshroud as ravenwing instead and assume they're "on loan" from the dark angels for a few campaigns if I wanted to use it.

Sammael-clones on jetbikes and LS Vengeances in Successor chapters can be explained away by "Standard Construction Templates" - but Darkshrouds are unique. In fact, even the Dark Angels can only field up to 10 of them (an exceedingly rare event.)

I field a Successors army (Guardians of the Covenant) and like to keep things fluffy....although 'legally' there's nothing stopping me fielding a Darkshroud, I'd rather have a good fluff reason.

What are folks' thoughts? For people running Successors, have you modelled it differently or come up with any 'headcanon' of your own?

"Of all the archaic relics deployed on the fiekld of battle by the Unforgiven, the Darkshroud is perhaps the strangest."

There's your fluff reason. *ALL* of the Unforgiven use them. Who knows where the "Ten Brothers of the Order" are at any given time...

Okay, Azrael probably knows, and perhaps Ezekiel too due to their "arcane nature", but probably not anyone else. So, use tham as you wish, whatever Successor Chapter you play. cool.png

Actually I'd say that RW Company Masters in Successive chapters shouldn't be riding a jetbike, after all, Corvex is the last jetbike in the Imperium.  If successor company masters are scooting around on jetbikes I'd say that the scriptures are wrong!

Archived