Hello from a new member.

Pigshead

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster, and I've spent the last few hours slyly reading here at work, and felt I had a few things to contribute to the discussions going on here, but first of all I decided I should introduce myself. So here I am:

I'm a thirty something long time 40k fan, although I've taken a 20 year break from the actual tabletop hobby, keeping my interest solely to the novels, video games and suchlike over the past two decades. Then last year, after a chance encounter and discussion with an old friend, I got back into 40k as it should be. I bought dark vengeance, and began sliding down a slippery slope of cash haemorrhaging and time sinks until I find myself here, 15 months later.

But it's been a productive year or so, I am now the owner of approximately 7000 points of Dark Angels (2k DW, 2k RW, 3k GW), all of which are painted to a, ahem, wide variety of standards.

So I thought I would sign up and join in. Looking forward to chatting with you guys about all things Dark Angely!

Welcome to the Rock. I'm not sure how much of your time you've gotten to play but remember the Unforgiven are not to be taken lightly. By this I mean I would expect a steep learning curve. Most New DA players I've met end up losing a lot at the beginning. Was the same for me. The Deathwing elite style army makes any losses taken rough and Ravenwing make you learn movement. Then finally standard Greenwing makes you learn how to win without all the awesome toys the regular Marines get. But I will say if you can stick with it, I'm sure you can, then you end up learning the fundamentals of the game much better. This of course is only my own opinion.

DoC

Welcome to the Rock. I'm not sure how much of your time you've gotten to play but remember the Unforgiven are not to be taken lightly. By this I mean I would expect a steep learning curve. Most New DA players I've met end up losing a lot at the beginning. Was the same for me. The Deathwing elite style army makes any losses taken rough and Ravenwing make you learn movement. Then finally standard Greenwing makes you learn how to win without all the awesome toys the regular Marines get. But I will say if you can stick with it, I'm sure you can, then you end up learning the fundamentals of the game much better. This of course is only my own opinion.

DoC

Yup, I've kind of noticed the curve. I'm lucky in that my little gaming group of 5 guys are quite forgiving, and they eased off the cheese at first, and as my knowledge of the rules and their armies increased they slowly ramped things up. Plus one of the guys in that group is Unforgiven too! He has been a huge help.

At the end of 6th I reached a stage where I was probably winning half my games. It helps that I generally know what my opponents will take, as they all have more or less fixed armies that tend to only change one or two units, whilst I have the benefit of having essentially three different armies that have a lot of interchangeability. 

Not had too many 7th Edition games yet, the first was a hilarious game where I teamed up with some Iron Hands against a combo of Orcs, Demons and CSM. I took ravenwing and basically spent the entire game turbo boosting between objectives and only managed to kill a handful of models but essentially won the game through objectives, whilst the enemy slowly whittled me down to nothing and got frustrated at the Iron Hands tanks sitting at the back and repairing every little bit of damage they took. Don't think that was very enjoyable for the enemy...

When I play on my own I tend to make fluffy lists, but the Iron Hands player (who is my regular team mate and also my Dark Angels Mentor) is a very demanding and determined player, and he brings out the cheese in me. He taught me how to bring down a Stormraven with Black Knights...

7000 points in just a year?! E Tenebrae Lux is going to be a cakewalk with you around! msn-wink.gif

Welcome to the Unforgiven brother.

Haha, yeah, but notice how I said "painted to a wide variety of standards". I literally finished getting the last of my guys to a basic tabletop standard yesterday (My TH/SS Belial) and some have had a lot more love and care put into them. I'll post a pic sometime of my Dark Vengeance tactical squad next to my Drop Pod suicide command squad (sometimes I do crazy things to take my opponent by surprise, it doesn't always work out so well) so you can see what I mean.

Pigshead, as long as you love your models as though they really were your battle-brothers, you'll be just fine in my eyes, regardless of painting skill biggrin.png

I've been in the hobby for about 17 years (yikes) and I've still only recently discovered the arts of ink washes and highlighting. I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd love to see your work. There's no judgement here, unless you turn traitor, then you're for it devil.gif

Always good to see another member of the "Big Army Club" join us on the forums.  I need to take new pictures, but my Deathwing sports around 20K points, with most of that painted.  I've got a couple of other things yet to go.

Washes are great, I'm still learning some of that stuff myself.  I don't highlight as my hand shakes when I paint, so oh well.  Anything painted with effort is greater than a uniform sprue gray or primer white/black army IMO.

Welcome to the Forum.  It's a good thing.

Paul 

Thanks for the welcome guys. I've just spent a couple of hours photgraphing my army, only to discover I can't find the cable to connect to my PC. Which is somewhat annoying. 

Man even those "questionable" levels of painting work I'd still say are pretty good.

Very respectable force you have there.  Can't wait to hear some after action reports and your exploits in the areas of hunting fallen.

That's some good work in my humble opinion. I mean, that cat looks so lifelike! msn-wink.gif

Seriously though, those are some really nice models. I'd be proud to own models painted to that standard.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm taking a bit of a break from my Dark Angels to paint up a Realm of Battle, a small allied marine list (just an excuse to paint a Stormraven) and some squats that have been hiding in the attic at my parents for about twenty years. I've even developed a back story for them. I'll probably post pics and what have you as that all develops.

Whilst all that is going on, I'll be getting involved in a couple of narrative campaigns, one involving the altar of war missions vs some nurgle marines, and another me and three other guys are developing ourselves, involving eldar, necrons, demons and, of course, Dark Angles.

I have a lot of free time. My strange work pattern gives me ten days off every five weeks. That plus a very understand wife to be and a lack of children means I can literally spend all day painting sometimes.

Sounds like a not bad setup.  Something you might consider is filling in your profile on the forum with your vitals.  I can tell you that it's actually gotten members in touch with me from a ways away.  

I've played a couple games with a local DA player from a city about an hour from here, and one of the members in the Military got in touch with me when he found out he'd be coming here for school.  Both have been really awesome guys.  

I too have spent more than my fair share of time painting.  Right now I'm beginning a massive build cycle so that I have enough stuff to paint over the winter.  

I started my Deathwing a few years ago, back under the 5th edition rules and 4th edition codex.  I made my kit bashed Belial as part of the right of passage on this forum, and it's been a great ride.  Lots of good people here, lots of good advice to be had.  

Leave, leave now! You're making me feel despondent about the sheer amount of models I have unpainted. I consider your painting to be quite nice, and especially impressive given the short (to me) time frame in which you accomplished it all.

And once again my painting inadequacies are sharply revealed................hangs head in shame and takes paint brush (sponge) and models to cell 42.......The Chaplains will be angry with me........again.

Save me a seat.

Archived