Planning to build Celestial Lions Chapter Maste Ekene Dubaku

Ever since I discovered the Celestial Lions, I been planning to build myself a small army ofthis chapter. I really love their color scheme and all their fluff, how they come to the defense of the weak and dared criticize the actions of the Inquisition - and the sad fate that followed the chapter afterwards. A truly honorable chapter.

SInce I really like the fluff, I want to be as true as possible to the Chapter Master, Ekene Dubaku, when I build him for my army. His appearance is fairly detailed described at their wiki page.

Here I have an rendation I made of how I plan to build the Chapter Master, I took various photos of bits and combined and then painted over in a look I wanted

http://i.imgur.com/7HxKkR2.jpg?1

"High Marshal Helbrecht, the Chapter Master of the Black Templars present on Armageddon, forced Dubaku to take the oath of Chapter Master to lead the remnant of his Lions and granted him an ancient suit of Power Armour dating back to the Great Crusade which still bore the original heraldry of the Imperial Fists Legion. "

"Dubaku now bore a bionic leg and a noticeable limp, his physiology not entirely adjusted to the augmetic replacement yet. The armour he wore was gold war-plate of an ancient Imperial Fists champion, granted as a gift from the Eternal Crusader's Halls of Memory. His cloak was that of Helbrecht's own Sword Brethren, red on black, elegantly cast over one shoulder. It was not known if this was the very same cloak Helbrecht had granted to Dubaku when he forced him to take the oath of lordship over his depleted Chapter. At his hip, bound by chains of black iron, was the flayed, polished skull of the greenskin warlord they had killed together."

The Power Armour I plan to build of several different pieces, all based on the Mk III Iron Armour. The base I want to be the Legion Praetor from Forgeworld, and then saw him in two and give him the laurel-torso to the furthest right from the Imperial Fist Legion upgrade pack since the armour granted to him is of an ancient Imperial Fist Champion pre-heresy. The head I want to be the laureled one from the Imperial Fist Mk III Head Upgrade pack. And since he is supposed to have one bionic arm I already have bought a bionic arm from the Space Marine Character Conversion pack. The question is, do I need to have the bionic leg showing? Or could the bionic leg be interred in the armour? That would save time and money.

I will use most of the praetor parts, like shoulderpads and backpack, but switch the non-bionic arm and buy an Mk III arm as bits and I also have an ork skull I plan to hang at the belt. Then I will aslo put on a cloak hanging over one shoulder made from green stuff.

For his wargear, I plan to run him as a Chapter Master, backed up by a honour guard, in the Armour Indomitus, wielding the Primarch's Wrath and a Relic Blade. and I have the Sanguinary Guard sword I want for the Relic Blade, but need to buy the Phobos Pattern Bolter to represent the Primarch's Wrath. The Armour Indomitus gives him Relentless so it can use the Primarch's Wrath to the fullest.This would make him cost 235 points.

I have also thought about the possibilities to magnetize his arms so I can give him other equipment to play around with, like the Shield Eternal and a Thunder Hammer, and other fun joyous things Space Marines use. There's also a possibility I could magnetize his head, so I can also wield him as helmet-less when desired. But then I don't know which head to use for that, maybe the Praetor Head since I already got the figure? But suggestions are welcomed!

Another question I have is that I am wodnering if it is ok to put him on a terminator base? For epicness sake, but I don't know how legal that is. If it is not, I could always have him on a regular base magnetized to a termi-base which I remove when I will play.

I hope I put this in the right section, otherwise you can move it.

I would very much appriciate the input you guys have on my plans for this Chapter Master. smile.png

Envious of both your PS skills and the potential the finished model has, super cool, really looking forward to seeing this model realised....

Cheers,

Jono

Thank you, Grotsmasha! All one got to do is practice and practice and you'll get better and better. 

I brainstormed some more, and came up with a better pose, more actiony as if he was in the middle of the battle. Some things like the environment, what he will stand on and what details are needed on the base and on him are still undecided. So suggestions and tips are welcomed! :)

http://i.imgur.com/8lTSw4X.jpg

I think that the ork skull (in the first picture, I though that it was just a huge ork jaw, which would be unique) on his hip adds enough without him standing on a dead orc. I say go with something more subtle, like a simple terrain feature. People mostly add things on top of the base, but carving a crack into to make the earth look dry is also an option.

I really like those concept you've made, but I´m not so sure about the new pose. I´d stick with the first one, it makes him look a lot more imposing and it think it just looks awkward combining the "resting my sword on my shoulder like a badass" with the "shooting at foul zenos" stance.

I really like those concept you've made, but I´m not so sure about the new pose. I´d stick with the first one, it makes him look a lot more imposing and it think it just looks awkward combining the "resting my sword on my shoulder like a badass" with the "shooting at foul zenos" stance.

I'm inclined to agree with Twisty on this one. :) The whole idea sounds awesome though, I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce. B)

I think that the ork skull (in the first picture, I though that it was just a huge ork jaw, which would be unique) on his hip adds enough without him standing on a dead orc. I say go with something more subtle, like a simple terrain feature. People mostly add things on top of the base, but carving a crack into to make the earth look dry is also an option.

Yeah, the skull on his hip is enough now when you put it that way, having him stand on a dead or now feels like it's too much. A simple terrain feature with some tuft of yellow dried grass (I think I want my army stationed or attacking in a reddish desert-wasteland). Maybe I could add some empty bolter-shells on the ground aswell?

And what you said about an ork jaw on his hip, I might use that idea for a honor guard. smile.png

If you make the model as you've doodled, you are onto a winner

Thanks! I hope I am not too ambitious and can pull it off. smile.png It's been a while (years) since I painted, which is partly because my paints dried up a lot. But on the bright side I been researching painting and techniques a lot so I feel I have much greater knowledge now, and I think I might buy some Vallejo colors, especially for the gold.

Lets get Busy!!! Chop Chop !!!

Hehe yes!!

After some reconsideration, I think you are right. The original first-post-pose is as you said more imposing, like he is surveying the battlefield for his next tactical move.

I'm inclined to agree with Twisty on this one. smile.png The whole idea sounds awesome though, I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce. cool.png

I agree with both of you, and thanks! msn-wink.gif

Cool pictures. I'll look forward to you getting this guy together.

Me too, oh so much. Don't know exactly when I can buy the parts from Forgeworld, I would save a lot of money if I could buy the torso and helmet I wanted as bits.

Looking forward to this model.

Thanks!

Some serious potential here. Looking forward to the model.

Thanks man!

You might look into the Scouts plastic kit for some cool basing materials. They have an ork skull that you might like.

Ah yes! Smart idea, thanks!

• 1 month later...

Fantastic stuff. I really like the paintings. Just chopped a Praetor in half myself (keeping the top half rather than the bottom) did you ever get carving?

Thank you, ninja! No I haven't gotten carving yet, I found some bionic legs I thought fitted better for him, as well as another arm to hold the bolter which had a cloak thrown over it. I am much happier with these parts, and I save money on not buying the Praetor to cut up. Now I only miss the torso and the head I want., which I also need to get from ebay.

These images shows which the parts are:

Bionic leg on the left guy:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/Events/preview-uk-2013/ihsquad3.jpg

The cloak-covered arm/shoulderpad with the bolter:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MK-IV-Standard-Bearer.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I love them too(!)

Keeping my eyes peeled - more updates please(!) ohmy.png

Thank you! Although I fear it might take a while, the torso and head I want isn't out on ebay very often, and when they are they get instantly bought. I just got to bide my time till then. :P

Archived