Are the Dark Angels fun? Successor questions..

Merellin

So.. I'm realy thinking of starting a Dark Angels successor chapter amr (Guardians of the Covenant) because I like how Dark Angels can run a regular marine army with a bit of everything, Or a Terminator army with more then one unit, Or a biker/speeder army with a few diferent units. Seems to be a lot of options and much fun, But I decided to ask the people who play them, Do you find them fun to play? And for the people who play against them, Are they fun to face?

Also, I want Guardians of the Covenant cus I like their looks (Silver armour, Black shoulderpads, Red robes) Would it be possible to put the entire army, Or most of it atleast, In robes? Or is there some fluff on who wears robes?

The Guardians of the Covenant are almost always robed, in all ranks.  I run them, and I love the way they look.

The only ones you might have difficulty with putting in robes would be Terminators, but you can probably find good tabards for them to at least give them a semi-robed look.

Nah, Use the Deathwing Knights bodies, With the regular terminator weapons. Terminators in robes.. =D And all robed army is awesome. I think the hardest ones will be the bikers to put in robes.. since you onl get 1 robe guy in the box..

If you like terminators or bikes play DA, if you like artillery, tacticals, and interesting chapter traits run C:SM.  But there's nothing stopping you from painting them one thing and running them as either

What makes Dark Angels tacticals worse then vanilla marine tacticals? They have the same statline, The same base equipment and the same point cost. Seems like the only thing Vanilla marines got over them is Chapter Tactics, Centurions and Thunderfire Cannons. (And the anti-air tanks..) Dark Angels seem like a good codex overall that offers the ability to play a good variety of lists without crippling yourself.

After reading the Deathwing rules.. I so wanna make a Deathwing army.. Maybe with some Ravenwing for fast support..

What makes Dark Angels tacticals worse then vanilla marine tacticals? They have the same statline, The same base equipment and the same point cost. Seems like the only thing Vanilla marines got over them is Chapter Tactics, Centurions and Thunderfire Cannons. (And the anti-air tanks..) Dark Angels seem like a good codex overall that offers the ability to play a good variety of lists without crippling yourself.

After reading the Deathwing rules.. I so wanna make a Deathwing army.. Maybe with some Ravenwing for fast support..

Chapter tactics is exactly what makes them better, among some other things.  But yes we do have a variety of lists.  The crippling yourself part is still up for debate as evidenced by Brother Prot's thread here.  Probably a good post to read for some more insight into the codex.

DA have their chapter tactic that is Grim resolve For most of the Chapter with Inner Circle For DW and IC and Scout and Hit and Run For RW...

The only problem is that the main Chapter tactic (Grim Resolve) has an advantage (Stubborn) balanced by a drawback (not being able to voluntary Fall back) while all Chapter tactics of C:SM have advantages only (For example Bolter drill For IF/CF doesn't have a drawback)... In addiction pur Scouts don't have grim resolve (i don't understand why)...

The other problems DA have is that all the typical units of the codex (the ones belonging to DW and RW) are a bit overcosted making harder to put all you want in a list and that some units/equipments are bad designed (flyers, LSV and the Blade of Caliban mainly)...

But DA still are a decent codex with a great emphasis on synergy between the various units that pass each other bonuses and tricks...

If some units/rules were better and some costs were lower I can assume we would have a top tier army...

So YES DA are a fun army to play cause you can experiment various approaches to the battle...

Merellin,

I got into DA for the specific reason you stated. I liked one of the Successors (Disciples of course) and they have the option of all three "wings" and all of them are fairly playable to even awesome. Our Deathwing are probably the most viable all Termi Army out there without allies and Ravenwing rock the bikes pretty well with a few disadvantages. Greenwing I think we lose out the most on not having all the Grav weapons and the Thunderfire Cannon/Sternguard options.

However I've stated it a few times and have heard it from others, I believe playing Dark Angels makes you a better overall General for game tactics. Not saying other armies aren't hard to play but for a Space Marine army Dark Angels lack a lot of the "auto win" toys so you have to learn how to play each unit. You are still in space marine stats of course but it does add a degree of difficulty when playing all Deathwing (Learning Elite army tactics) Ravenwing (having fast hard hitters with little staying power) and Greenwing (standard marine play). You probably wont win a lot to begin with, or you might be the Patton of 40k reincarnated who knows, but your learning curve will be pretty high. I've played codex marines and honestly I'm now just collecting them because I love Crimson Fists but I love playing my DA.

Bottom line..............rules come and go but fluff and theme live forever! So go with what you think is cool. Fun will more than likely depend on who you play against and with but you get a lot of options with DA that doesn't seem to be overly cheesy.

Hope it helps,

DoC

As long as you have a Champion from each to enact the Duel! I'm holding off on building my Space Wolves until the new codex drops.

one of my first games against wolves in 3rd edition: ragnar blackmane vs da scouts both sides hitting on 3+. chased ragnar all the way across the board and off the table. the look on my opponents face was priceless.

A warning about Terminators.

1) They are expensive (duh Komrk, I'm not an idiot)

2) More expensive means less models (Thanks Captain obvious)

3) Weight of fire will drop you hard

4) Smalls Squads die fast, but big squads are hard to Deep Strike

5) Deep Strike will clump your models but foot slogging is slow and so are Landraiders

6) Spreading your Terminators after Deep Strike will leave them too thin and easy to pick off

7) Make sacrifices to the dice gods because 2 tac squads, an assault squad, and a Stormraven can kill off two squads of 5 terminators and 1 with a TDA Libby in two turns 70% of the time (The only AP2 weapons I have in those are a combi-plas on each Tac Sgt and the multi melta on the front of the Stormraven)

Archived