Starting a small Army from DV set

I'm a SW player mainly, but I'd love to collect more models, and I figured it may be fun to start a small Dark Angels force with the models I currently have. Any recommendations on armies (no more than 1850 pts worth) and models that can go along with what I already have from DV? Something with bikes and termites I'm guessing, small ravening + deathwing force worth it?

With dw + anything your going to push the 2000pts mark at some point simply because deathwing units are so bloody expensive (points wise). We aren't like you fancy 33ppm wgt space wolves :(

I would probably get a ravenwing command squad and buy azreal, I would probably also buy some additional bikes.

Eventually your going to want a land raider

Land speeders and deathwing knights are never a bad idea as is expanding the dakka termies dv has to a full 10 man team.

Units that you can experiment with are stuff like dreads and the land speeder vengeance (and by proxy the darkshroud). Flyers are also a fun experiment unit though their a lot less useful than other flyers in other armies.

I think I'd start by upgrading the ravenwing side and then build up the deathwing second. This way your not blowing whole chunks of your army points cap on terminators and struggling to make clutch plays in lower point games while waiting to hit the higher point matches.

The main reason I capped it at1850 is I didn't realize that DAs got pricey quickly. Expanding into 2000-2500 isn't bad, I was concerned about shelling out a lot of cash, but since I have a good start, it shouldn't be bad. I'll need to pick up the codex and see what the HQs have to offer, and then decide on HS options. How are DWK in land raiders? What I posted unit wise is what I'm planning on running as a list.

So far what I'm thinking is

1x DWCS

1x DWK

2x DWS

1x RWK

1x RWS + Attack Bike

1x RWS (4 bike)

land raiders are awesome for us ever since the 7th edition faq's. tech marine + power field generator is pretty much an auto include if you taking terminators with a land raider (or a librarian if you want to use an hq slot). azreal is pretty much going to be your hq choice since he makes both ravenwing attack bikes and normal terminaotrs (and their land raiders) troops choices. a secondary option is belial but he only makes terminators troops. sammael in this case would be useless.

deathwing knights are much better than assault terminators for cracking MC's, teq's, and infantry and do so so against regular men

i cant say im a faw of the DWCS simply because the RWCS is so much more useful. its mobile, its quick, and its black knights. cant go wrong with free tl plasmas. but regardless of what u pick you need to take an hq in terminator armor/on a bike in order to take the corresponding command squad. so for the dwcs thats belial, int chap, company master (captain), or a libby. meanwhile for the RWCS its chap, int chap, sammy, libby, comp master.

power field generators are the best thing since sliced bread (sliced bread lovers are offended!) i give them to any HQ that can take one (except for comp masters)

You think the whirlwind would be better than devastators?

whirly is better than ML or PC devestators for anti infantry or anti TEQ. you take ML devestators typically for anti air, or jump right to las for improved anti-tank. if you can find the points the vindicator is better than all of the above (str 10 ap2 oh yeah!) but its also more armor reliance. and theres such a thing as "too much of a good thing"

Well, the Whirlwind is no anti-tank weapon, but it is great for picking on units like Firewarriors, Gaunts, Orks, etc. It can be used to soften up a large unit or to finish off a weakened unit. I always find that my enemies need several of my units to really wipe them out. The Whirlwind can reach out and touch most anywhere on the board.

I love my dual Vindis for my SWs they haven't had much action since I changed to an all Pod list. I would like to try a completely different strategy and battle doctrine/army approach with the DAs than I do with the SWs. Is the aegis defense line with quad gun te standard answer for anti flyer? It won't be so much of an issue when it comes to the termies... Bikes will be vulnerable to the flaming mechanical hell turkey should I come across another one.

What land raider do you recommend for the DWKs? And would they count as troops as well with Az?

Does collecting DAs cause me to be a traitor to the SWs =p I always thought itd be fun to run em as allies and after the game is done (on a win) have the two champions duel it out per fluff... And keep tabs on which chapter kills the most enemies dead on the table top. Nothing like good rivalry ;)

I'd say the best option is to make an army list inn the army list section, with what you have and what you plan so we can help you hammer out the army and point you in a direction. Also get a DA Codex if you haven't already. :)

Also, when making said list, don't forget that the Company Master from DV can be Azrael, as he is modelled with the right equipment (power sword, that winged helm, and the combi-plasma).

Archived