Ashilla Sorsollun, et cetera. A Night Lords Project.

Hellath

Hola all!

Yes, yet another Night Lord army project. I have lurked this forum for years (literally) and only recently decided to actively participate, which can be a little intimidating considering the awesome Night Lord armies that can be found here. 

The army will be a Horus Heresy era Night Lords force. I, as so many other NL players I guess, have been influenced by Aaron Dembski-Bowden’s most excellent novels (I count them among my favorite sci-fi works), and the great effort Forgeworld is doing bringing the Horus Heresy to the tabletop battlefields.  

I am a very slow painter and a terrible photographer, but I will try to keep updated this topic with new pictures of my progress as often as I can. So far, I have not a clear idea of what units I will include in my army (any input offered by experienced NL players will be highly appreciated) but I have already purchased a Legion Praetor in Terminator armour and a squad of Cataphractii Terminators to act as his bodyguards. Progress so far: 

IMG 20130807 014944

As you can see, he already has his trophy of judgement, and will be getting a lightning claw and fusion combi-weapon soon.

Any constructive criticism will be very valuable for me. Also, if you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask!

Cheers.

The Praetor is finished! 

Night Lords Praetor

Yes, terrible picture. I will try to take a better one this evening.

I know that technically lightning claws would burn the blood from the blades due to the energy field, but I couldn't help myself. 

Any comments are always welcome! 

Gracias.

Thanks for the kind words!

Slightly better pics. Unfortunately, I won't be able to have access to a good camera until the weekend.

Praetor side

Praetor Back

nice beginnings! smile.png Is that a Sons of Horus helmet? If so, are your Night Lords Loyal?

It was meant to be a Salamanders helmet XD. They are as traitorous as any Night Lord could be. However, I want to theme my army around the Istvaan V massacre, and I want to feature helmets from all the involved legions as base decoration.

Hola, 
Just a quick update showing a picture of my amazing Pac-Man mug. Oh, and a WIP of my Cataphractii Terminator sargeant...

Night Lords Cataphractii Sargeant WIP

Comments and criticism are always welcome!

Cheers.

Hail Brother! Slight criticism on your models. The overall pose of Praetor is cool, but the position of the head (great choice on the head byt he way) is a bit wrong. I think the head should face the direction of the bolter. It is not a necessity but will make the model a bit more realistic.

As for painting – I quite like the quality. Three things I would suggest though. Try to highlight your blue and bronze a bit more, add some iconic NL lightning(if you do not like them it is fine) and the leather straps on the shoulders look a bit “unfinished” in that color. I would suggest to paint them the same way you painted the apron.   

From what I can tell, the paint job looks stellar. Difficult to tell from the size and lighting, but good job anyway.

If I may put in my two cents here, I must confess that I feel the posing of the model is detracting from the stellar paint job. It may just be me, but the torso and legs from the Praetor model have a particular sense of flow and weight to it but its sort of directed solely towards the model's left. The shifting of the model's focus (aka line of sight) and the posing of the arms I think is crippling that sense of flow and makes the rest of the model come across as rather static and detracts from the composition overall, especially with such a dynamic and action-oriented face that you used for it.

Hope this helps in any way.

Thank you all for the kind comments! I am glad you are overall liking them smile.png

@Brother Kiros: I totally agree the mini needs more lightning bolts! At the moment, it only has one running down the left leg (it's barely visible in the pics). About highlights, it might be my awful skills as a photographer, but the blue is highlighted up to Vallejo Silver Grey (an almost white, silvery color) and the bronze up to silver (Vallejo liquid gold range, that makes for a very bright silver) I glazed down the colors after final highlights, so maybe I will have to work out the last layer of highlights again. The shoulder pad pteruges definitely need more work. Thanks!

@noctus cornix: Yes, I must admit I am not 100% happy with the pose. It seems to be a bit off (the model is designed to be looking in another direction, I guess). However, everything is thoroughly superglued, and I fear the model will fall apart if I try to pull the pieces in order to reposition them. Ah, well. Thanks for the feedback!

@Flint13 and @Darth Mustard: Gracias! biggrin.png

The Atramentar sargeant is nearly finished. He just needs some lightning bolts. As you can see, I am going for the weathered look, with lots of chips and scratches on the armor plates and dust on the feet and legs. I am also waiting for Forgeworld etched brass and decals for the Night Lords to come out for the Legion markings.
I hope you enjoy the (not too good) pictures!

Atramentar Sargeant Front

Atramentar Sargeant Side

Atramentar Sargeant Back

EDIT: The Emperor's Children helmet was a last minute addition, paying homage to Flint13's beautiful III Legion minis. After all, taking helmets as trophies is a mark of respect for the Night Lords! :p. Thanks for the advice, señorita!

Progress! I have managed to paint another Cataphractii during the weekend. 

Cataphractii

As you can see, I continue to include helmets from other Legions involved in the Isvannt V affair. The Sons of Horus helmet will be used in the next Terminator base. But I am running out of spare helmets, though. 

I hope you like them. Comments are always welcome!

Cheers.

Looking great! I like how weathered they look, like a pic capture of them just stepping back on to their transport to return to orbit from the killing fields.

Bonus points for referring to Istvaan as an "affair."

Abaddon: "How went the slaughter of Istvaan V, my lord?"

Horus: "Ah, it was quite an affair. Hot, sweaty, lasted days. Most atrocious."

Looking great! I like how weathered they look, like a pic capture of them just stepping back on to their transport to return to orbit from the killing fields.

Bonus points for referring to Istvaan as an "affair."

Abaddon: "How went the slaughter of Istvaan V, my lord?"

Horus: "Ah, it was quite an affair. Hot, sweaty, lasted days. Most atrocious."

Thanks! Heh, I was undecided between "affair" and "fiasco", but then again, it was only a fiasco for the X, the XVIII and XIX...

And that conversation between Horus and Abaddon is entirely likely to have happened!

Yes, I clearly need to paint more lightning bolts! Actually, I did in the latest two Cataphractii, but then I went a little over-excited with the weathering and the bolts ended up being obscured. Ah, excuses...

I am waiting for a big 20 men tactical squad to arrive. I will make sure they are properly covered in lightning bolts!

Thanks for the kind words!

Quick update: I was curious about painting the Tartaros pattern Terminator Armor, so I painted my second Atramentar squad Sargent.
I really like painting this armor, even though it's plain and somehow undetailed compared to Cataphractii. I really like it, and will definitely add a second Tartaros Atramentar squad to the army in the future (as I will eventually get Sevatar and Lord Curze, I think it will be fitting)

Here's a pic, with his other Terminator Sargent buddy.

Atramentar Sargeants

I know: lightning bolts! I swear I painted them, but I went too carried away with battle damage and they disappeared under all those scratches. I need to find balance for including both features in the miniatures.

I have also broken my own Istvaan V theme including an Imperial Fist helmet. Oh, well...

I hope you like it. As always, C&C is highly appreciated.

Looking great buddy! Even if the weathering got a little carried away, they just look battle worn.

Isn't Tartaros armor fun? I love how much more nimble and fast the suits look compared to the Cataphractii.

Keep up the awesome work. I really want to see the rest of both squads finished. Terminators hold a special place in my black little heart.

Looking great buddy! Even if the weathering got a little carried away, they just look battle worn.

Isn't Tartaros armor fun? I love how much more nimble and fast the suits look compared to the Cataphractii.

Keep up the awesome work. I really want to see the rest of both squads finished. Terminators hold a special place in my black little heart.

Thanks! That's very encouraging :). 

I am loving Tartaros pattern! I would need at leat two more 5 men squads. They look mean and are quick and easy to paint. 

I knocked off another little Atramentar guy yesterday. Hope you like it!

Tartaros Atramentar

In insight, I reckon the stone he's standing over is tad too big, but what's done is done, I guess...
EDIT: The lightning and my camera are giving a strange orange glow to the miniatures, specially for the metallics (they don't have it in real life).

Archived