Feedback on Unit Ideas

Rodiger

I would like some feedback on a couple of units I’ve come up with for Dark Angels. Firstly I don’t play too often, about once every six weeks, I’ve played around 5 games and I play against a friend who plays Chaos Space Marines.

I usually spend more time painting this hobby than playing so I usually buy models I’d rather paint than are actually any good in an army. I don’t own any Land Raiders for instance, and probably won’t any time soon, I have a limited budget for 40k (the missus has radically different ideas about what we should spend our money on) and there are other models I like more for the price. These units are ones I have models to field or at least proxy i.e. an Interrogator Chaplain acting as a Techmarine with 5 Cultists as his servitors.

Unit Idea 1

We have been playing Maelstrom of War recently (2500points) and the idea behind this unit is that as of the ever changing objectives, you need a unit that is flexible enough to attack anything on the board when needed.

1 Venerable Dreadnaught, Twin Linked Lascannon and Missile Launcher. Points 160

1 Venerable Dreadnaught, Two Twin Linked Auto Cannons. Points 145

1 Techmarine, with Servo Harness, Power Field Generator and 5 Servitors.  Points 155

Total cost 460 points

The Dreadnaught with the Lascannon and Missile Launcher is there to shoot more heavy armoured things. The BS of 5, Twin Linked and Preferred Enemy pretty much means a guaranteed hit. The Auto Cannon Dreadnought is more with infantry in mind, again the BS 5, Twin Linked and Preferred Enemy makes them pretty much guaranteed hits too. The range of both means they can shoot anything on the board, and as they are not technically the same unit they can shoot at independent targets.  The Techmarine sits between them, so they both get the invulnerable save from the Power Field Generator, and he can easily repair any damage they receive, as he has 5 servitors. These act as another shield for him too. The unit is placed in the middle of your deployment for maximum range.

I have tried this one twice, both times it has destroyed a Defiler, it has immobilized three Maulerfiends which means they are as good as dead and done other damage to troops. I think overall it has destroyed more points than it has cost. The first time the unit failed as the Techmarine died. I stupidly decided to try and roll the save instead of sacrifice a Servitor and rolled a 1 when I needed a 2 to live.  The next time one Dreadnaught had an explode result but the other was still intact when the game ended.

Unit Idea 2

I have been really enjoying the addition of the Psychic Phase so I like to take Librarians with me. For the cost, Ezekiel is great, but he dies a little too easily for my liking. I have been thinking of how to make him last a little longer. There are a couple of ways to do this, but the one I’m going with is to pair him with Azrael. This benefits both of them as Ezekiel gets an Invulnerable of 4+ and Azrael gets a WS of 7. I would then put them in a Command Squad with an Apothecary so Ezekiel gets Feel No Pain and Azrael gets a better Feel No Pain. The Command Squad would be kitted out with Storm Bolters, Power Swords and a Rhino. I’d have liked a Razorback but I have too many models. The whole unit gets an Invulnerable of 4+, Feel No Pain, and +1 WS (even Ezekiel apparently).

Azrael. Save 2/4/4 Points 215

Ezekiel. Save 2/4/4 Points 145

Command Squad, Apothecary, 5 Power Swords, 4 Storm Bolters, Melta Bombs. Rhino. Save3/4/4 Points 242

Total 602 Points

I haven’t tried this one yet. It looks like an expensive unit by itself, but I take Azrael and Ezekiel anyway, so it would be an extra 242.

What do you think of these units? As I said I’m not an experienced player so any feedback would be appreciated. 

For unit 1, I would go for a third Dreadnought. If two are hard to chew, three are even harder. You'll probably be using 2 CAD's so you can occupy the Elite slots with three Dreads. Plasma Cannon could be an option for this third dreadnought. The advantage is taht 3 will provide a wall of steel so it'll be hard to target the techmarine behind.

As for unit 2, It is tough but it can't still go toe to toe with the toughest units. I would probably cut down on power swords and replace some for power axe for extra strenght and one powerfist. The rhino is an idea, but it will be very hard to pull a charge out of a rhino. The drop pod is an option because even though they can't charge.. at least they get to their dstination faster. Also consider replacing storm bolters for combi plasma/melta. They will hurt a lot more than storm bolters.

Archived