Flesh Tearers Fluff

Cpt. Lacerus

Hail, Brothers

So, I bought Flesh of Cretacia when it first became available awhile back and just re-read it. My feelings are overall conflicted about the chapter, so I wanted to try to find some more info on them and try to get inside their heads a little more. So far I've read Flesh of Cretacia, Gaius Point, the info on them in the BA codex, the info on them in the FFG Deathwatch Successor book and I think that's about it. I believe I've heard of a few more shorts out there about them. I remember a member on this forum saying something about Gabriel Seth's thoughts on the BA Sanguinary Guard. What was his opinion and where might I find it? I'll even take honorable mentions of them or small cameos like of Seth in Helsreach.

Thanks for your time, Brothers.

Oh wow, holy crap haha. Guess I forgot to mention I only grab the 40k books I find on the shelves of my local Barnes&Noble and what not. I've never bought an eBook thingy because technology scares me, but that's quite a large amount of info I'm missing out on and I'm a terrible fluff addict. What did you think of what you have read?

Hail, Brothers

So, I bought Flesh of Cretacia when it first became available awhile back and just re-read it. My feelings are overall conflicted about the chapter, so I wanted to try to find some more info on them and try to get inside their heads a little more. So far I've read Flesh of Cretacia, Gaius Point, the info on them in the BA codex, the info on them in the FFG Deathwatch Successor book and I think that's about it. I believe I've heard of a few more shorts out there about them. I remember a member on this forum saying something about Gabriel Seth's thoughts on the BA Sanguinary Guard. What was his opinion and where might I find it? I'll even take honorable mentions of them or small cameos like of Seth in Helsreach.

Thanks for your time, Brothers.

All links as per what marine posted are pretty much it, FFG The Second Founding has the most info but i find some of it off...

As for Gabriel Seth, in the 'Blood In The Machine' audio drama the scene is depicted on the battlefield when a line of Flesh Tearers are halting an ork advance on Hive Volanus to allow the steel legion guardsmen to regroup. Amidst the bloody battle that ensues a stormraven arrives with a squad of Sanguinary Guard to deliver a message from Captain Tycho asking Seth to pull back and withdraw.

Its more Seths view of the Sanguinary Guards 'unblemished battleplate' that annoys him, seeing them as little more than messenger boys who won't get their hands dirty and refers to them as 'cherubs' (in some religions viewed as 'lesser' angels) and muses on their beauty thinking "beauty on the outside does not remove the beast within" and hates that they hide their rage behind mask of Gold, believing them to be 'untrue' so to speak, to themselves and by extension the nature of Sanguinius blood line, a view he shares with Nassir Amit (The first 'Flesh Tearer') in Fear to Tread.

My favouring quote about the Flesh Teares is found in 'Flesh of Cretacia' and is exactly how I personally view the Flesh Tearers chapter:

"We are our fathers second sons, and we are all the fiercer for it. His pain burns sun-hot in our veins, undiluted by old honour or tithe. We are him at his purest, his most wrathful. We took our rage and tried to blunt it on the stars themselves, waging a crusade as bloody and vicious as any that had gone before. We bled the galaxy without mercy. We bled ourselves without respite, battling almost unto extinction. But still we were not cleansed, out actions not out own. Still, the Thirst endured." 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the bit of threadomancy, but in Blood in the Machine, Seth's disregard for Sanguinary Guard made it seem like his own chapter didn't have a cadre of them. I thought all Blood Angel successor chapters maintained the SG in their ranks? 

According to the fluff in the Codex, yes (this allows you to used the same rules and models from Codex: Blood Angels despite the Flesh Tearers fluff of being further down the path of the gene-flaw).

However that doesnt mean Seth has to like the idea of the Sanguinary Guard or what they represent. The Flesh Tearers dont hide their Rage like other sons of Sanguinius, they embrace it, plain for the rest of the galaxy to see. "Hiding it under a mask of gold and brass" as viewed by Seth is disrespectful to the memory of their Primarch and the "Gifts" his gene-seed bestows.

Sorry for the bit of threadomancy, but in Blood in the Machine, Seth's disregard for Sanguinary Guard made it seem like his own chapter didn't have a cadre of them. I thought all Blood Angel successor chapters maintained the SG in their ranks? 

According to the fluff in the Codex, yes (this allows you to used the same rules and models from Codex: Blood Angels despite the Flesh Tearers fluff of being further down the path of the gene-flaw).

However that doesnt mean Seth has to like the idea of the Sanguinary Guard or what they represent. The Flesh Tearers dont hide their Rage like other sons of Sanguinius, they embrace it, plain for the rest of the galaxy to see. "Hiding it under a mask of gold and brass" as viewed by Seth is disrespectful to the memory of their Primarch and the "Gifts" his gene-seed bestows.

The more the Flesh Tearer fluff gets fleshed out, the more I hate it.  They all come across as complete children in all of their novels lately, and that comment just makes Seth sound like an idiot.  The Sanguinary Guard "hid under a mask of gold and brass" by Sanguinius' design, and someone like him should know that.  Somewhere along the line the authors decided that they were going to depict the Flesh Tearers' embracing their underlying rage the same way one would depict a rebelling teenager, and I don't like it.

The more the Flesh Tearer fluff gets fleshed out, the more I hate it.  They all come across as complete children in all of their novels lately, and that comment just makes Seth sound like an idiot.  The Sanguinary Guard "hid under a mask of gold and brass" by Sanguinius' design, and someone like him should know that.  Somewhere along the line the authors decided that they were going to depict the Flesh Tearers' embracing their underlying rage the same way one would depict a rebelling teenager, and I don't like it.

Thats all well and good, but you can choose to ignore it. 

I must admit it would be very difficult to portray a chapter that is all but consumed with rage on paper without it sounding like "teenage temper tantrum" but when you have an entire lineage of chapters that all have the same flaw, it becomes very hard very quickly to separate each one. 

The Flesh Tearers rage is what defines them, they are the Imperiums darkest shadow, chained monsters that can never be controlled, only unleashed. 10,000 years of bloody savagery and carnage, bleeding the galaxy as they bleed themselves, to absolve themselves of guilt and conquer the thirst. Yet the thirst and the rage endure. That is the epic tragedy that is the Flesh Tearers

We are Vengeance

We are Fury

We are Wrath

To each their own I guess, so far the only really outrageous thing iv read in the Flesh Tearer stories was in Torturers Thirst when Appollos runs through a void shield, into zero-g, on an asteroid, without his armour, to avoid an explosion... so theres that.

My only hope is that they get a supplement for the upcoming 7th edition Codex... and with that I also hope they dont completely screw with the fluff *fingers crossed*

So is it safe to assume that the Flesh Tearers do have a contingent of Sanguinary Guard, they just don't wear the the masks or are armored in gold? 

So is it safe to assume that the Flesh Tearers do have a contingent of Sanguinary Guard, they just don't wear the the masks or are armored in gold? 

Quite possible, even though we havent seen any official depiction of them in the codex or the lore.

The rules are there for them to be fielded on the tabletop, but no real follow up to confirm if they actually have any.

I always assumed there weren't enough  Flesh Tearers to field something like the sanguinary guard. I always figured most likely they'd be the same guys that would be fielded as Seth's honor guard if necessary - the best and most savage fighters in the FT's.  Also the Flesh Tearers don't really do the ostentatious, its all militaristic - if a brick kills, there's no reason to make it a gilded brick.. 

I think the biggest thing about the FT's is that they're very... unsettling. They're supposed to embody the Rebelliousness of Sanguinus, and more-so defined by their flaw.. They're a chapter being destroyed by themselves..

I'm not overly fond of Flesh of Cretacia either - but some of Smilies stories are very good, or at least entertaining enough for me. 

Archived