dreadnought or deathwing

ZONKEY

Depends  on what you want to acomplish. If you're looking for a cheap vehicle killer then go venerable dread with MM (Venerable because of BS5), If you want to kill infantry then a DW is better but DS is riskier. If you want an allrounder, then Termies are better as well.

Depends on opponent of course, but I'd pick Deathwing in most cases. But of course, this is reflected in the points values... you can actually send 2 podded dreads in for the cost of a DW squad with some goodies.

Against most opponents a dread will be glanced to death in pretty short order, while the DW will have their 2+ save plus 3/5++. And you can pick exactly when they arrive. And they aren't tarpitted as easily.

Two Mortis Dreads; weapons of your choice for the targets at hand, both in Lucius Drop pods. You land out of melta range but behind the enemies vital point and watch the enemy try to kill two 12/12/12 5+ Pods whilst shooting out of the smoking remains, they then have to start shooting the Dreads MUAHAHAHAHA!!!.

All this whilst the rest of your DW charge up the guts in their 14/14/14 Venerable 4++ super scoring transports.

I LOVE FW!!!

Cues more evil laughing......MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I would go double LC Mortis dreads but a MM and CCW for later rounds would work OK. DW really can't bring enough AT fire power in the shooting phase and D-Sing them and shooting leaves them VERY open to subsequent destruction by plasma equivalents.

Mortis dreads might even survive long enough to shoot a flyer down :wacko:

Big fan of Dreads myself, Ven with MM and HFlamers.  But then I use them in conjunction with my Deathwing for Target saturation.  Give them a Big Nasty to worry about thus allowing the DW to go about their business relatively unmolested.  :)

don't have the dex to check - do dreads get Deathwing assault/twin linking when they arrive via drop pod? I don't think they do from memory

DW with this should be more survivable and scoring with azrael/belial. granted you are getting what you pay for here. adding split fire in means that the heavy weapon can go for armour whilst the storm bolters can take on a more manageable unit they can hurt.

dreads are cheaper so make for a better suicide unit. if they do get DW assault then that may change them significantly. BS5, twin linked MM or assault cannon would be pure filth. adding a missile launcher instead of CCW just to be sure.

am actually quite tempted now to do a couple of assault cannon/Missile launcher drop pod dreads regardless of the DWA rule. they'd be a pretty un-ignorable threat if landed right. able to reach out and touch back armour with ML's as tanks advance on your other units and able to mow down local targets with AC/frag or Krak. glass hammer unit though so would have to be timed right and positioned well to get the best use of cover (from drop pod as well as terrain) for any survivability.

Out of interest - where are the rules saying Contemptors can take pods?  I dont seem to find it in any literature I have or BattleScribe... I have always assumed they had to footslog - be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction :)

IA2 (2nd Ed); Buy it, you'll be glad you did, it's great!!!

page 160 Lucius Pods allow all types of dread from the dexes to use them

pages 178-179 Contemptor and Mortis Contemptor Dreads may take a Lucius as a dedicated transport.

Clear as mud

IA2 (2nd Ed); Buy it, you'll be glad you did, it's great!!!

page 160 Lucius Pods allow all types of dread from the dexes to use them

pages 178-179 Contemptor and Mortis Contemptor Dreads may take a Lucius as a dedicated transport.

Clear as mud

Nice one Stobz; Hadnt looked at that entry for a long time - just needed pointing in the right direction!!  Muchas Grassy-ass

• 2 weeks later...

lhg033,

Negative on the DW Assault for the Dreads my friend. I know it is for tank killing but has anyone tried out a case for an Assault Cannon Dread with Heavy Flamer Drop Pod in and teleport in some Termi's with an Assault squad as well? I used it once and it demolished three tanks but I haven't played in 5th edition and am wondering the viability. I know Melta is the way to go however I want it to be able to do more than give a BS5 single multi melta shot on a unit of infantry is kind of sad. I would have melta elsewhere in the list for the things that must die. Just wondering what your all thoughts on this are.

P.S. Sorry if this is too much of a thread hijack?

DoC

To be honest, I haven't tried that combo. I do use an AssCan dread with a storm bolter though, but it generally footslogs in front of the mortis AC dread. To be honest you can't knock an AssCan on any platform IMO and the Flamer acts as a good anti-charge deterrent and horde killer. And any extra tele homers or locator beacons in a DW army is a boon.

Archived