Brazen Claws - A Grimdark Tale - Feel No Pain

Candleshoes

ahh you beat me to it, I had been making the same kind of dread for some weeks now (contemptor legs / normal top half)  where are the knee pads from by the way?

IamJack got it, they were bits from the Death Company/Furioso kit, and the waistplate is one of the greaves from the venerable kit, cut down.

Some good news on the raw parts front, I won three auctions which netted me 1 Death Guard Contemptor Dread (minus hands) and 10 Iron Hands HH Mark III models, with all their bionic glory. Estimated time of arrival: Halloween =(

Been looking at doing a prototype scout, but I like the look of them a little more armoured in the feet and knees, just seems to give them more weight and reflect that feel no pain special rule.

Really fast and easy conversion with no headaches, is to pair the scout legs up with the old tactical marine legs, that are moulded in the same pose, so replacing one, instantly has a destination and slot for the other, and doesn't look out of place. The scale difference as well is pretty noticeable and fits with the smaller version of their astartes brethren.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/photo5_zps15f4049b.jpg

Thank you for posting your Viper-pattern conversion. Really very inspiring, and it makes me want to create my own. I'm also intrigued how you've switched from Blood Angels to Iron Hands - two Chapters that seem as though they'd be polar opposites, but you are doing good work with your DIY.

The work on your scout is interesting too. It puts me in mind of these scouts by Sebastian Stuart (1, 2.)

I hope to see more from you as you continue your work!

- Mol.

Thanks Forgeman & Mol, really appreciate your comments, both of your work is so detailed and extensive, it means a lot.

I have a small update, but wanted to post this up before it goes directly into the paintshop, as this is the next model to be up on the block to be finished.

Played two games last week and I must have forgotten 90% of my 6+ Feel No Pain saves --- my opponent was an eternal reminder and kept on bugging me to take them, he finally straight up said "The next models you make, every single one of them needs a reflection of FNP so that you will remember to take the saves in game"

I don't feel so bad, as he was notorious for forgetting his own Salamander chapter tactics, which I had to remind him about!

Had a few people ask about what a Brazen Claw would look like painted up in the cerulean and crimson scheme, very tempted to give that tastey quartered scheme a shot and run with it.

We'll see, but the next update should be this fella with paint and some story.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/photo6_zpscbb8a59c.jpg

I can relate to feeling somewhat directionless -- there are obviously some pros and cons to taking a GW Chapter as opposed to making your own DIY.

The Brazen Claws are interesting - they'll always make me think of SCC's work. Having an officially recognised Chapter allows you to move on with a sense of direction and identity, and gives your force a sense of legitimacy. It allows you to focus on modelling, and other people are likely to recognise them. It does also mean, however, that you're at the mercy of any retcons GW decide to come up with. (Destroying their homeworld was a pretty big one!)

A DIY can be a more rewarding route, but it is also frustrating and lonely. Very few DIY Chapters are ever taken up by other people. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I often feel a name and a symbol can be the last parts of a Chapter. Think about their beliefs, their identity, their way of doing war. If they are Iron Hands successors - what differentiates them from their parents? Are they completely the same, only with a different paint scheme? Have they got some fundamentally different relationship with the Adeptus Mechanicus? Do they fight in a particular way? Are they organised differently? Have they adapted to fight a particular foe?

Perhaps a DIY Chapter is a way of making your own mark in the shared canvas that is the 40k universe. Allowing you your own creation, rather than asking you to colour within the lines. And perhaps your own will never be as neat and complete as the original, but you can sit back and say that it is yours.

Love the battle damage.

I think you have made a good start with the diy chapter. As you have started detailing the building of the chapter from its birth, you can really build some character are you go along.

Being an Iron Hand successor, remember the split could come from mechanichum dogma difference, or disputes between Forge World.

Also, one of the things to consider with the Brazen Claws, is that there origins have been placed in the heresy, with Clan Morragul, whose symbol is the same talon, and I think their battle barge is named the Brazen Claw as well. So it might mean Forge World have plans to expand on this. Or the link may just end there. But at the least the Clan Leader has background in Massacre, and is a special character.

Nice battle damage. Used something like a brass rod and guitar wire?

Interesting scout you made. Can't wait to see that guy progress.

My brother in law is an electrical engineer, and he gave me a bag of wires, and other circuity bits and bobs to use, but your right, I think there was also a guitar wire in there.

I can relate to feeling somewhat directionless -- there are obviously some pros and cons to taking a GW Chapter as opposed to making your own DIY.

The Brazen Claws are interesting - they'll always make me think of SCC's work. Having an officially recognised Chapter allows you to move on with a sense of direction and identity, and gives your force a sense of legitimacy. It allows you to focus on modelling, and other people are likely to recognise them. It does also mean, however, that you're at the mercy of any retcons GW decide to come up with. (Destroying their homeworld was a pretty big one!)

A DIY can be a more rewarding route, but it is also frustrating and lonely. Very few DIY Chapters are ever taken up by other people. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I often feel a name and a symbol can be the last parts of a Chapter. Think about their beliefs, their identity, their way of doing war. If they are Iron Hands successors - what differentiates them from their parents? Are they completely the same, only with a different paint scheme? Have they got some fundamentally different relationship with the Adeptus Mechanicus? Do they fight in a particular way? Are they organised differently? Have they adapted to fight a particular foe?

Perhaps a DIY Chapter is a way of making your own mark in the shared canvas that is the 40k universe. Allowing you your own creation, rather than asking you to colour within the lines. And perhaps your own will never be as neat and complete as the original, but you can sit back and say that it is yours.

Thanks Mol, and very true words. I suppose one of the biggest barriers is the beginning for a DIY, as most of that structure exists in an official Chapter, but on the flip side, every step of progress for the DIY is a step in making it a stronger idea you can get behind.

I start painting after this post, we’ll see where the brush gods take me.

Love the battle damage.

I think you have made a good start with the diy chapter. As you have started detailing the building of the chapter from its birth, you can really build some character are you go along.

Being an Iron Hand successor, remember the split could come from mechanichum dogma difference, or disputes between Forge World.

Also, one of the things to consider with the Brazen Claws, is that there origins have been placed in the heresy, with Clan Morragul, whose symbol is the same talon, and I think their battle barge is named the Brazen Claw as well. So it might mean Forge World have plans to expand on this. Or the link may just end there. But at the least the Clan Leader has background in Massacre, and is a special character.

I never thought of that Demon. It’s that element again that could be a real diving board for creating, but at the same time, there is that heavy allure of creating something yourself.

Thanks again for the comments everyone, they really are helping guide the direction of the project.

PS) They say the greatest weapon of a hunter is patience. My patience has paid off and allowed me to quickly buyout on Ebay 2 boxes of Medusan Immortals.

Tear them apart for bits to sprinkle everywhere (ex: hand boarding shields to Gorgon terminators for stormshields), or make them into an actual unit like sternguard?

Just another thought, the founding date of your chapter will really add to the nature.

For example, a second founding chapter, like the Brazen Claws, will have been born during the scouring. I would say the general mood of the imperium would have been one of mourning but also one of optimism. The traitors were being thrown back, a tough and bloody task, but one made easier by the weakness of the xeno races allowing man to focus on one enemy. Also a lot of the new chapters would have links back to the great crusade and heresy, with their own heroes and traditions already in place.

However, I think a late founding chapter is more grimdark. The Imperium is failing, and while its survived a thousand storms, they keep coming. And not one at once, while the imperium could throw back the traitors, or the Tau, or the Orks, they cant face all these enemies at once.

So your chapter is born to fight to keep the Imperium alive. Its all failing apart, cracks are widening, your chapter is one of many lights in an increasing darkness. Tbe Iron Hands geeneseed is pure, bit this geeneseed is 10k years old, how has it degraded. Will they be ready to face the storm.

Sorry if I am throwing stuff at you that you have already thought about, but i am really into what your doing here so just trying to spark some thoughts.

I have rejoined the ranks of the Xth, and am going to create my own clan, and try and go in depth into Medusa, and the inner workings of the clan that feeds the Legion. So if you want any ideas from the past, especially if you go 2nd founding, I am happy to share :)

Completely agree about the setting and environment being a lynchpin and canvass for the chapter's nature.

One of the biggest draws to the Brazen Claws, say over a DIY, was the fact that they have taken their lumps, retain the horrid and pscychological outlook at the Imperium from their experience as part of the Heresy and Scouring, and right when they need to be their strongest to defend humanity at the end times, their own homeworld undoes itself. It fails and breaks on the anvil. The Claws own world, the solid foundation that should be absolute, turns out to have been brittle. Even though demons is the weapon of choice for that death as per the lore, it always seemed more sad that if the corruption and floodgate reveal/open came from within their world's populace - ala Lovecraft, rather than demons just showing up and invading. Follow that up with a failed and bitter crusade that see's over half the chapter die, turn traitor, or flee their duty and oaths to their chapter master... and end it all with the choice to admit defeat and abandon the crusade and the shame that would bring to a son of Ferrus... it makes for some grimdark story telling, especially when this all happens shortly before Abaddon arrives with his crusade, and they realize they not only are a fraction of what they once were, but they need to rebuild to be strong.

On the DIY side, you have the freedom and flexibility to run with the Clan mentality in a chapter, you can avoid a lot of the codex straight laced regimen and stick to a lot of the older Iron Hand (and pre heresy) clan fluff and organization, naming conventions, and allotments and make it yours. Your right in that the idea that a chapter created at one of the last foundings, with no hope or future ahead, and one of the few dying lights at the fall. But as always, for this to be strong enough to finnish, that creativity engine can never falter, which to me is just terrifying!

Well I think that creativity is already flowing, what you have already done is amazing. One of the best things is that each model is full of character, maybe let your models direct you. Come times I sit down to build with no plans and see what happens. Sit down, start to work on a squad, use your instinct, and as they come together, allow them to tell you their story, and work this into the chapter history - marine A has a bionic because he lost his arm fighting orks in the battle of whatever, marine B served with the deathwatch for a while after shaming the chapter during the something campaign. Like I said your growing this from the start, keep it fluid. You build a scout marine, write how he is the first successful neophyte, so you build a devastator, background wise it's the same guy, etc etc.

I certain ally like your take on the destruction of a planet, coming from within, not just a bunch of daemons saying 'let's holiday on that planet', but it could also happen to a DIY chapter. The planet could be nearing the Eye of Terror, the 13th crusade kicks off, the chapter

, who have just reaching battle readiness, planet erupts in madness and violence as local beliefs turn to chaos worship. The chapter tries desperately to cleanse the heretic, but it's to late and a full daemon incursion starts. Forced to withdraw, the chapter becomes fleet based, and on a penitence crusade.

Just some thoughts, there is so much you could do, don't be afraid the creativity will run out, that's what we on the forum are for, to provide a spark when your not sure what to do.

I think it says awesome things about your work that most of the conversions are pretty mild and subtle. But the resounding response seems to be "wow! that's how it *should* look."

The dread and gun cutter especially! It's impressive to see that there is a really neat model under all that goofy wolf ornimentation.

Keep up the awesome work buddy!

@Demon

I took your advice and am sitting down to paint with no plans and seeing where it will take me. It feels a lot more freeing than not painting and only worrying about planning.

@ Flint

Thanks, the hope is to have everything altered in some way, big or small. The bag of old watch bitz that is currently in the mail should go a long way in making some models unique, or in the case of the dread, creating some nice patterns on all those flat plates.

As the title implies, I love beat up and gritty models, and the below is the haul I walked away with to help achieve some of that wear and tear. I may or may not have bought the wash on name alone... don't judge me.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/photo11_zps87679841.jpg

I also mixed up a flock concoction, including regular static green grass, salt and pepper grass, burnt grass, dead grass, ash waste grey dust, a bit of snow flock and some other bits. It turned into a unique mix that should work nicely between the solid snow and grime bases.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/photo21_zps8977f166.jpg

It's good to know I'm not the only one who is interested in seeing how these pigments work - have had limited use and results with similar stuff in the past. The pigments should be fun to use, though I will be testing them on a few already painted non project related marines and posting up results. I hear having Q-Tips handy for wiping off is important.

On the painting front, base colours and a wash on my Feel No Pain marine and am seeing where things take me. While painting, decided to try the turquoise in the quarter Brazen Claw scheme, and am interested to see where it will go, once highlights, details and the weathering get added. Photo was taken when the wash is still drying, so things may look a little shiny or pooled, but it will even out - hope to have more up soon.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/photo7_zps56c0232a.jpg

Thanks Incinerator, its been fun looking at the take other people have on them, their schemes and general feel.

Made some progress on just the red and blue armour.

- Photos aren't great, will take good scenic ones when it it finished - but you can tell there has been some definite grunging on those bright colours. The weathering powders worked great - put them on dry, then painted over top of them Vallejo Pigment Binder which dries matte. Couldn't be more pleased - also, "Baby Poop" makes its appearance on the base. Freehand chapter and squad markings under the severe weathering. I admit, the busted down, crusade weary feel is growing on me.

Still deciding on the following:

- Black bolter casings, or Iron Hands white casings?

- Gloss varnish the murky green sludge base to make it look like he is in liquid murk/swamp/sewage?

- Snow or no snow? It is such a dark model, something says add colour, but it might be better to leave it dark?

- Static Grass mixture or no? If I gloss the mud, is the flock to bright for the model?

- White/silver eye lenses - do they work?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/photo12_zps66c25243.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/photo22_zps1d2ae09b.jpg

Id say black casing, sewage gloss,would be awesome, white or silver eyes would look super unique, and you should *definitely* add some snow. I'm a big fan of your work so far!

Archived