what custom dreadnought would the dark angels get

ZONKEY

Yep robes and churches. Just kit bash some dark shourd bitz on a standard and dread green stuff a hood. ;)

Whatever happens save your pennies, by the time a new da book comes around expect a dread to cost more than a landraider.

Id be happy if they just faq'd in ironclads.

I would like to see more of an emphasis on our ancient tech...perhaps some form of volkite weaponry. it's old, nobody in 40k has it yet, and it makes people explode with enough force to cause secondary wounds....pure win. It would also compliment our apparent plasma fetish, and continue the trend of us still having stores of heresy era technology. Lots of plasma weapons, a warp cannon on our dark talon, and deathray shooting dreadnoughts...While it lacks the lethality of grav weapons, or perhaps the helfrost cannon, it would fit our character well enough.

Failing that, make the venerable rule also buff the armor value of our dreadnoughts to ironclad levels. Even if it raised the cost of the upgrade, i'd still pay it.

With a Mortis dreadnought, DW dreadnought , FW contemptor and Chaplain dreadnoughts, IMHO the last thing we needis a "special" dreadnought because they aren't so special anymore. I'd rather they focus their creatives juices into something else. ;)

Generally I agree with this, but for the sake of plzying along.....when we did a codex rewrite project here a few years ago, there were a few ideas there I would have liked to have seen...

- An Int-Chap Dread

- Plasma Talon batteries on vehicles and dreads (ala Hurrican bolters, but 4 plasma guns instead of 6 bolters)

- Love the black knights but would have liked to have seen the PG on the Attack Bikes. Give us two versions, a bolter/HB version and a PG/MM version.

A dedicated weaponry for the DW dreads would be nice...

Now the DW only have DWTS/DWCS/DWK VenDread and DW LR... Compared to RW that has BK RWCS RWAS RWSS DT NJF LSV DS, DW got the short straw in terms of units...

So i hope they will expand a bit the DW side of the army... if you notice in the SW codex the Hellfrost weapons are exclusive to the Ven dreads and not to the regular ones (that still use the standard dread model) so if we will get some new shiny toy for our dreads will be for the DW dreads with a dedicated model...

But i dont hold my breath cause i guess that our 7th edition codex will be just a copy and paste of this one with maybe just the AA tanks inside (but i guess SW didnt had access to them so i doubt we will)...

The 'special' dread to me is the Iron Clad and we don't get it. Otherwise I try not to take one unless it would be for... 99 points which isn't going to happen.... they are a super cool model, with a great background and just don't compete on the field. Venerable only helps for BS really because it's a game of glances now.

So you'd have to totally make something up like the BA dread...I call it the blender dread but I can't remember what it's called. At least it has uses as it can chew through hordes like a knife through butter. I'd love it if we got a shooty variant.

If we ever got one, it would be over-costed and with incredibly dull near useless rules like most of the rest of the codex : p

but whining aside - I think an Int-Chap Dread would be pretty epic, maybe giving zealot/hatred in a bubble around it. But in the end, like Prot says - dreads have fallen by the wayside much like termies really. Ironclad is the only one that actually got tougher as its immune to the small arms fire/grenades that generally take out the AV12 dreads, and with the change to the damage results table it is less likely to be blown up. Of course we don't get the ironclad, but I guess we could always ally it in. (I got one for that purpose but have yet to find a place for it)

I thought of a Ravenwing dread on a wheeled chassis (but will most likely have those emperor-awful taurox treads). Even in a Mortis or non-Mortis role, it would look good. Perhaps a Vengeance Dread with dual plasma cannon goodness.

I definitely love the idea of an Int. Chaplain-Dread, I don't even care if it's that good as long as it's playable.. Int. Chaplain dread would just be awesome. From a fluff point of view it makes sense too I guess, Int. Chaplains are amongst the ones that know the most about the Hunt.. seems like valuable knowledge to keep around msn-wink.gif

And I've seen it mentioned before, it is probably wishful thinking, but a buff to the venerable upgrade would be great as an alternative, AV13 so that it's a proper option again for CC.

Librarian dread would be very cool too, but I guess that'll remain a BA privilege.

Lastly, I would also love a Dreadnought Character like Bjorn etc, just the idea of such an old and badass character is great.. and with our supposedly super-awesome armory it wouldn't be that hard to imagine.

I saw some awesome ideas in this thread, plasma talon arms, chaplain dread, ancient tech.

I'd be happy if the only difference was visual, as some said, a giant cathedral attached to it... or robes... though that last one is likely something that sounds good but would likely not translate well, or have us grimace at the sight of it.

I saw some awesome ideas in this thread, plasma talon arms, chaplain dread, ancient tech.

I'd be happy if the only difference was visual, as some said, a giant cathedral attached to it... or robes... though that last one is likely something that sounds good but would likely not translate well, or have us grimace at the sight of it.

what about a dread with a plasma lance. He stabs you and then floods you with plasma. This weapon would be ap1 but has +1 on the pen table in his first round of cc.

With the changes to drop pods coming in our next codex (their becoming assault vehicles like the space wolves pods do). That could be very very powerful.

1st turn instagib of a leman russ or a wave serpent? Yes please!

I think he is looking at the open-topped aspect, which all drop pods have by the way. Including ours - However, the reason we cannot assault out of the pods, even with open-topped is because you cannot assault the turn you arrived via deepstrike, whether the transport is open-topped or not. So, as far as I'm aware the wolves cannot assault from their drop pods either.

And if you don't play forgeworld then you don't have access to any of them.

While the Mortis is fairly uncontroversial I've not jumped on the FW bandwagon due to escalation issues and the fact that I don't play Apoc or escalation type games.

There are some Apoc games run at the club and a few guys are into their big toys but on the whole most stick to a nice simple one codex army 

At the moment I've not even had to play an Imperial Knight there are a couple kicking round the club though most of us view them as a bit OP for standard pickup games not that I'd turn the match up down.

So yes we could do with a few things that are available through FW that would slot into the "reasonable for 1500-1800 point games" class but are not in the current codex not that this will happen as GW appear to be currently obsessed with us all making our games bigger and grander as the new matrix auto includes Lords of War.

I'm not having a go at GW they make fantastic models and the new stuff has been awesome + the rule changes to capturing controlling points is really long overdue but as game designers saying anything goes makes life hard work at times.

And if you don't play forgeworld then you don't have access to any of them.

While the Mortis is fairly uncontroversial I've not jumped on the FW bandwagon due to escalation issues and the fact that I don't play Apoc or escalation type games.

There are some Apoc games run at the club and a few guys are into their big toys but on the whole most stick to a nice simple one codex army

At the moment I've not even had to play an Imperial Knight there are a couple kicking round the club though most of us view them as a bit OP for standard pickup games not that I'd turn the match up down.

So yes we could do with a few things that are available through FW that would slot into the "reasonable for 1500-1800 point games" class but are not in the current codex not that this will happen as GW appear to be currently obsessed with us all making our games bigger and grander as the new matrix auto includes Lords of War.

I'm not having a go at GW they make fantastic models and the new stuff has been awesome + the rule changes to capturing controlling points is really long overdue but as game designers saying anything goes makes life hard work at times.

why would they view knights as op? They hardly are that and as a standalone army they aren't that impressive. Mean they do have gerantius but he's expensive, and they have the vanguard but it promotes turtle play in an army that can't turtle.

Imperial knights are the polar opposite of op almost. They struggle to do well and the right opponent eats them alive.

why would they view knights as op? They hardly are that and as a standalone army they aren't that impressive. Mean they do have gerantius but he's expensive, and they have the vanguard but it promotes turtle play in an army that can't turtle.

Imperial knights are the polar opposite of op almost. They struggle to do well and the right opponent eats them alive.

The vast majority of players at the club have extensions of starter sets so your typical Ultra player will have a couple of Tac squads a Terminator squad then a few vehicles or a Dark Vengance set + a few additions and they would simply blow away these type of forces.

We've a few who are keen Apoc players with some big toys and a small group who like doing the competitions so for most a 350 point mini titan is a bit op.

I am just collecting 40k models now as I believe the game for me is loosing the elements that made it fun, like I feel flyers and apocalypse models are mandatory rather than a nice forgeworld extra (just my opinion)

A death wing knight version would have been cool but I see they've got a space puppy type out with a shield and hammer so that's gone

With regard to the attack bikes I've found it strange they've not added other heavy weapons?

Frater - you organise the games how you want, if its at a club most people are pretty understanding the shops are a bit different tho but most experienced gamers would tailor to make sure it was a decent game

We collectively discussed this thread topic while hashing out potential unique dreadnought types for the DA back in the DA development forum prior to the codex release.  Now that the codex has been out for a while, I could change my opions from all of that which was previously discussed to something else; something entirely new even.

And it revolves around an entirely new feature introduced in this codex.  The astute reader will have already figured out what I am eluding to, those being the Ravenwing Dark Talon, Ravenwing Darkshroud, and Ravenwing Knights, and the effects that they have introduced into the DA arsenal.  I think that a Dreadnought based somewhat on what these untis (and their in-game effects) represent would be pretty dang awesome.

But I don't mean a Ravenwing Dreadnought. What I mean is a dreadnought aimed at debilitaiting enemies; notably Fallen enemies or those thought to perhaps have knowledeg of the Fallen.  In essence, this would be a Deathwing counterpart to the aforementioned spcecialized Ravenwing untis.  Visually I see the gothic architecture of the Darkshround/ Dark Talon on a dreadnought chassis.  The weapons could be some standard dreadnought shooty weapons, but perhaps also include a rift cannon option (or some other weapon altogether, like a "Firestorm Plasma Blaster": 2 x twin-linked plasm guns).  Also, the powerfist's built-in weapon options could include not only the standard stormbolter and heavy flamer options, but also a grendade launcher option replete with all of the special ammo.  Rather than any sort of Shrouding effect (though I wouldn'r rule it out), I would be inclined to have this type of Deathwing Dreadnought give off some sort of Leadership penalizing aura, or perhaps just have it cause fear.  This is obviously a Deathwing Vehicle, and so it would be Venerable.

Barring that, heck, I wouldn't mind just seeing a new Dreadnought model kit that actually has ALL of the weapon options in it.  That alone would result in people fielding Dreandoughts more.

I played a 750pt game last night, my MVP by far was Chaplain Lucifer in his Mk iv Dread body.

He deployed deep into enemy territory in a Lucius drop pod, shot his multi melta at the filthy Tau transport vehicle containing the elusive Ethereal and squad, the filthy xenos managed to jink away to safety and the army fired no less than 15 S7 shots and of their own in an attempt to thwart Lucifers plans.

The holy pod survived the onslaught and the next round Lucifer left the protection of the pod to advance on the transport (the firewarriors had got out and left the filthy Ethereal inside), this time there was no escape from the rage of the mighty Lucifer; he exploded the transport, heavy flamed the vehicle and debussed squad to kill all but 3 FWs then charged the lonely Ethereal and delivered the Emperors Justice with one fell swing of his mighty chainfist.

Due to my tactical objectives, the Ethereal giving up a free vp and him being the warlord Chaplain Lucifer earned 6 VPs to ensure eventual victory for the DA 12/10.

We need a Dread that causes fear to enemies within 6" too, that would have been awesome to scare some other units off :devil:

Archived