HQ for Narritive campaign

Drahazar

Ok so we are doing a campaign we are given 150 free points to make our own character. We may not take relics. We gain XP through wins and possiblely a draw on a 4+.

We start with kill team then go to 500pnt and it will increase by 500 every 3 weeks.

We can get injured as well.

My question is really what do we have as a build that's good. Oh no special characters.

I was thinking interrogator Chaplin. This gives me time to build up my dark angel force. I have two dark vengeance sets one with the special interrogator. And ten Vet guys with magnetized plasma and bolt pistols and two venerable dreads. I am more concerned with my HQ and what more experienced people think I sould do.

Who are you playing against? If it's a narrative campaign, I'd choose based on who it would make sense to be there, not what would be most powerful.

Could any of your opponents conceivably be harbouring a Fallen Angel? If not, an ordinary Chaplain or a Company Master would be more appropriate.

Is the idea to use the 150 points just for the HQ, as in the HQ simply needs to be as strong as possible? Or do you get to spend whatever you have left on other units?

It also depends on what you intend to add to your army later on, as in that sense personally I feel that a librarian is always a safe bet.. Prescience makes everything better. For those veterans your mentioned, or if you want to add devastators etc. If it's really just about a single HQ, librarian might not be the strongest HQ but he's definitely the best support HQ if you plan ahead for the rest of your army. I pretty much always use my librarian in the backfield (with devastators), so I guess if you have to use the 150pts just give him terminator armor and Force Mastery level 2. I can also recommend an infravisor for when you start playing regular rules (so with nightfighting), for 5 points infravisor is great. (Alternatively you could take a PFG, but I don't know how much you plan on ending up in melee)

If it's more about HQ power, again it very much depends with what kind of squad you plan to deploy him. In your case I would definitely consider using black knights (or RW command squad), expensive but can deal with pretty much anything, so that would bring you to an Int. Chaplain on a bike perhaps with melta bombs or so.

Alternatively, it's a shame you can't get a MoR, but a Company Master in Artificer armor, PF and perhaps a Jump Pack works good too. Admittedly I use him with MoR and it's a beast then. Unwieldy is annoying, but Str 8 gives you a tool for when you face armor and Str 8 / AP 2 is always good I guess.

I just started a Narrative campaign too! My character comes in at 185 points, Interrogator Chaplain Theodosius. The following is a copy paste from our page:

Interrogator Chaplain Theodosius

WS   BS    S      T     W       I        A       Ld       Sv
  5      5      4     4      3       5        3       10        3+

Weapons:Bolt Pistol, Mace of Redemption

WARGEAR: Space Marine Bike, Power Armor, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Rosarius, Displacer field

Warlord Trait: Rapid Manoeuvre

Special Rules: Independent Character, Inner Circle (Fearless), Zealot,  Master of the Black Knights: Black Knights are 0-2 Troop choices in any army that includes Theodosius.

Cost: 185 ; XP: 100; Level 0

Heraphon Abilities:

Brand new guy, I think think Interrogator Chaplains are pretty good and flexible ICs, I can't wait to get him some XP in my first campaign game.

Looks good Deafbeats!

The MoR solves what I dislike about using a chaplain, the Crozius's AP4, so should be a great like this. I've never used a Displacer Field before, but I guess 3++ is always good too have.

I'm expecting updates now on his performance msn-wink.gif

Yep correct, that makes a big difference (atleast for me personally). Int. Chaplain is still good, but I used him a few times without the MoR and the AP4 of the Crozius just doesn't cut it for me. For me personally it's mainly because I face Black Templars and Blood Angels regularly, so the AP3 is pretty vital then.

On the other hand, if you plan on going for black knights then the Int. Chaplain is an obvious choice as the Company Master can't take a bike unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have Assault Marines I would think they would do well in a small size game with an Int Chappy. Small squad but lots of mobility as well as plenty of hand to hand and there shouldn't be enough shooting to completely wipe them immediately. I know I'm odd but a personal favorite and always performs well for me is the Chappy Assault squad combo.

DoC

Archived