Trying to make Grey Knights and DW workable

Bunter

I recently came into possession of a fairly sizable group of Grey Knights and on a purely aesthetic level think a force based around the Deathwing and Grey Knight terminators would be a cool thing to see on the field. I also however thing that such a force would get wiped off the board pretty sharpish against most opponents.

Can anyone think of army list or strategy that might make them semi playable together?

(quick, someone get the lid on that can before all the worms escape...) biggrin.png

It completely depends on who you are playing and what army they bring to the table.

I've allied GKs and DAs before now, but it was GK termies and Greenwing. In theory, you have a force that can take everything on. Heavy armour, hordes, heavy infantry, light vehicles.....there's wargear available for both armies that can take it all on. Ok, I didn't mention flyers there.......and I'm not going to! cool.png. Yet.

The problem is model count. A deathwing termie squad is going to set you back, what, 240 - 250 points per 5 minis? As for Grey Knights, 200 points for a stock squad sounds good but by the time you've purchased psybolt ammo and a few other 'essentials' you're soon up to the same level.

As 1850 seems to be the new 'standard' for games, what can you get for that? Belial is a must (Azzy is going to be too expensive) and, knowing how potent the psychic phase is these days, go for a GK Libby. Spend 10 points on the Libby (lets just say psybolt ammo and a helbard) and there goes 350 points.

So, in your 1850 list, you have 32 minis. That's an average cost of 57.81 points per model.

Now, this has assumed you want maximum troops on the ground. BUT, the chances are, anyone you go up against will have units that can out pace you. Yes, you can deep strike and tie some of the guys up in combat, but that will only get you so far. You have 6 units.....you can almost guarantee that whoever you're facing will have more!

So, how to you move around after your initial assault? You have 2 options as far as I see it. You need to drop 1 terminator squad and take a Land Raider or a Storm Raven. This will then give you some mobility, anti-flyer (Raven) and some much needed anti-armour.

That's my input on this. Basically, it can work, but it isn't an easy list to play by any means. Anything packing AP2 is going to ruin your day as will a fast moving army that can just use cover / jink to avoid you and pick up objectives as the game goes by.

Having said that, I'd love to play / go up against something like this! smile.png

as an alternative to the the GK libby is an inquisitor if you're looking for extra pyschic dice he can then take 10pts a piece pyskers adding more dice to the pool. 

Kitting the inquisitor out to be a daemon killing machine is easy enough as well when you take the grimore of true names 

I manged to insta kill a greater daemon who was -5 ld,ws and int, Not that it matter as he was reduced to int 1 anyhow by this point and his invul save was only 6+ due to the pyschic phase inv cripple I had given him

With a nemesis weapon, failing a wound save forces a leadership check  or insta kill the -5 really comes into play

Archived