best blood angels novels to read

ZONKEY

Good afternoon,

I was just wondering if any of you knew which are the best blood angels novels to read, I am just about to start fear to tread, but sanguinius is one of my favourite primarchs and I just wondered over than the wiki are there any good novels?

If you can get a hold of it still, the book of blood from BL's print on demand was really good.  It has the old blood quest graphic novels in there, some good short stories, even one by the best author to cover the BA and their successors, ADB.  Swallows is great when he write about anything other than BA, when he does BA it is not good.  Basically they are all gullible, lots of in fighting, Mephiston wipes out basically a company of BA on his own, no one listens to Dante, just basically a whole lot of fail.  Its like he writes about the BA without taking into account any of the specialty organs the Emperor gifted them with, complete disregard for their subliminal training, and they all have basically no experience in combat.  I would lvoe to see ADB get the BA, but GW is not likely to hand them over, which means when the Nids and Chaos hit hard at Baal, expect us to not have a home world any more.

You could always pick up the Flesh Tearers books by Andy Similie (sp?). I would love for GW to give him the BA to write.

There are a few short stories by him, Beneath the Flesh is the best one IMO.  Flesh of Cretacia did not sit well with me at all.

The closest thing to a good Blood Angels read are actually novels / short stories about the Blood Drinkers by Guy Haley.

Right of Holos is a short story where the Blood Drinkers break a stalemate on a world besieged by gene-stealers

Death of Integrity is a novel about the Nova Marines but has some awesome Blood Drinkers thrown in there for good measure.

I highly recommend both as Guy really brings out the Blood Drinkers nobility, beauty and arrogance. Not to mention the ever present undercurrent of danger that they radiate.

Though not Blood Angels, A-DB's At Gaius Point was one of my favorite black library stories with the Flesh Tearers. It was one of the only works to get across the sadness that lays ultimately at the end of service for a son of Sanguinius - be it caused by hereditary madness, or by another's hand. It also showed just how tragic the living and un-afflicted are, holding fast to what they themselves see as their duty to mankind, their chapter, and ultimately, their father.

Just heartbreaking. Its a story that pays great heed to the weight of their lineage... and that weight is always present.

James swallow has written a lot of fluff for them, I just found it difficult to get into his books, I wonder if any book relics will make it into the codex, sanguinius is my favourite primarch and I looking forward to him fighting Horus though I hope he put up a bit of a fight before he scars the souls of the blood angels

The closest thing to a good Blood Angels read are actually novels / short stories about the Blood Drinkers by Guy Haley.

Right of Holos is a short story where the Blood Drinkers break a stalemate on a world besieged by gene-stealers

Death of Integrity is a novel about the Nova Marines but has some awesome Blood Drinkers thrown in there for good measure.

I highly recommend both as Guy really brings out the Blood Drinkers nobility, beauty and arrogance. Not to mention the ever present undercurrent of danger that they radiate.

I agree with Red Thirst, which is a weird statement. But I guess it works out because we are talking about the Blood Drinkers) msn-wink.gif

I've heard Swallow are helping with the fluff in the new codex

Can you imagine...wouldn't surprise me if he gets red, rage, black and thirst all mixed up so that we have a death company afflicted by the black thirst, a chapter special rule for the red rage and a new unit called blood brothers who have overcome the former to stay in a permanent state of thirstyredblackrageee

The second omnibus...that whole part in the submarine thing...err..

Ironically I do think he did a good job with 'Fear to Tread'. You'll never please everybody anyway, but I can tolerate the whole thing with possessed concrete coming to life because there is so much awesome stuff in the novel, true depictions of pride, loyalty, honour and tragedy. There are some great characters in there, actually sergeant cassiel is one of my favourites, showing the sort of quiet no-nonsense, switched-on determination that lies at the heart of the blood angels. Novenus and of course Meros are my other favourites.

I'm still baffled why Sanguinius is depicted with dark hair in 'Horus Rising' and with blond hair pretty much everywhere else.

I've heard Swallow are helping with the fluff in the new codex

Can you imagine...wouldn't surprise me if he gets red, rage, black and thirst all mixed up so that we have a death company afflicted by the black thirst, a chapter special rule for the red rage and a new unit called blood brothers who have overcome the former to stay in a permanent state of thirstyredblackrageee

The second omnibus...that whole part in the submarine thing...err..

Ironically I do think he did a good job with 'Fear to Tread'. You'll never please everybody anyway, but I can tolerate the whole thing with possessed concrete coming to life because there is so much awesome stuff in the novel, true depictions of pride, loyalty, honour and tragedy. There are some great characters in there, actually sergeant cassiel is one of my favourites, showing the sort of quiet no-nonsense, switched-on determination that lies at the heart of the blood angels. Novenus and of course Meros are my other favourites.

I'm still baffled why Sanguinius is depicted with dark hair in 'Horus Rising' and with blond hair pretty much everywhere else.

I think the black hair came about from Dan's interpretation of Sanguinius being "the most like our Father" (Horus words) to also include his appearance, the Emperor (beloved by all) always being depicted with black hair. However it is easy to gloss over as he only mentions it once and every other time hes described as having blond hair, so I just like to think it was a little error, no harm done.

Isn't that in Fear to Tread, where he has a tear drop tattoed onto his face?

Never really liked this idea to be honest, it screams 'hardcore prisoner', not angelic demi-god haha

I would lvoe to see ADB get the BA, but GW is not likely to hand them over, which means when the Nids and Chaos hit hard at Baal, expect us to not have a home world any more.

I think it's professional courtesy more than anything. One author has made a career from writing BA books, it would be rude to then jump in and write 'better' BA books. Fear to Tread was a good read. The BA Swallow first 2 books were good, I've heard the second omnibus gets weird.

Archived