The Legion for you... Community Assistance Thread

Hyaenidae

"My brothers, there comes a time when even the scholar must choose to cross the Rubicon. Our father made his choice when he defied the Edict of Nikaea. We, his sons, must now make that same choice. Let us meet these savages of the VIth and prove that even a scholar can match a warrior's fury when the time calls."

- Final words of Vaertha Aris, Pyrae, Hortator of the 27th Company, XVth Legion Astartes.

Anyway, I thought I'd bring a little more about my World Eaters here... I know, I know, I should start a thread, but these are coming out in small snippits and I want to at least have my Army ready for assembly first.

--

Lanterns. Both a blessing and a curse within the company. Marines assigned to these specialized support roles are armed with powerful plasma, flame and Volkinite weaponry. Often they find their way into the teaching of the Forge Lord, or "Lightsmith" of the Company. If they survive. Most marines are organized into support squads, and their eagerness with such close ranged weaponry combined with their trademark rage often means a high attrition rate. Support Squads are thus often known as "Lantern Squads" within the Company if not "Suicide Squads". It's rarer still to see a Terminator Lantern... or at least it was until the Heresy. After the Heresy, anyone who fell too far into the rage beyond what even Lanterns would tolerate were to become Red Butchers if they survived.

Before this the most dangerous of Lantern Squads would become the Destroyers of the company, known as Black Lanterns for their constantly burnt black armor. 

So I've been settled on White Scars for awhile, however I am curious if anyone knows where I might procure some proper close combat weapons? Daos and Tulwar/Cavalry Sabers, for there will be no straight, double-edged blades in my army! Despite the fact that Kor'sarro Khan has one! The glaives I already have an idea for, I just have not been able to find an appropriate bit on any of the 3rd party sites I've been to. Have found an awesome replacement for a Heavy Bolter + Suspensor Web, should I get a Seeker Squad.

If I'm unable to find bits, I would like to maybe make an Alpha Legion Squad just for fun. A Headhunter squad that actually takes the heads, a Huntmaster with more axes than seems reasonable.

@Aalz I don't know much about 3rd parties but buying some forge world charnabal Sabres may be your best bet, you could find some individually on eBay or you could buy the upgrade kits from forge world if you like the other contents.

I've been life's punching bag for the last several months.

I have been looking to the Horus Heresy as a way to escape; reading novels, buying FW models, planning to build a legion(s), etc. To date, I have been unsuccessful in the building & painting area. I'm never able to find the time.

My frequently visited plans are:

1. Dark Angels & Night Lords (via Savage Weapons & Prince of Crows, & Unremembered Empire)

--- get to have DA for the Thramas Crusade & Battle of Caliban

2. Imperial Fists & Iron Warriors (via The Crimson Fist)

--- get to use Zone Mortalis with Captain Amandus Tyr vs Perturabo aboard the Iron Blood

--- get to use Taking the Contrador mssion with Captain Polux vs Captain Erasmus Golg aboard the Contrador

3. Grey Legions during the Unification Wars before the Great Crusade.

--- bonus is I can use stormcloud grey with non-legion specific markings, bitz, etc

--- drawback is I have to use stormcloud grey?  

4. Legion II or XI: one of the "Forgotten & Purged"

--- bonus is I can do whatever I like for a colour scheme and fluff (well, almost...)

--- drawback is they weren't active during Horus Heresy (at least not officially as all records were destroyed)

Help....

Here is what I have to work with....

THE HORUS HERESY BOOK ONE - BETRAYAL
THE HORUS HERESY BOOK TWO - MASSACRE
THE HORUS HERESY BOOK THREE - EXTERMINATION
HH LEGIONES ASTARTES: ISSTVAN CAMPAIGN LEGIONS
HH LEGIONES ASTARTES: CRUSADE ARMY LIST
THE HORUS HERESY BOOK FOUR - CONQUEST SPEC ED

IMPERIAL FISTS LEGION UPGRADE SET - TORSOS (30)
IMPERIAL FISTS MK III HEAD UPGRADE (50)

4 LEGION PRAETORS

15 CATAPHRACTII PATTERN TERMINATORS
CATAPHRACTII POWER FIST SET (2)
CATAPHRACTII POWER AXE SET (2)
CATAPHRACTII SPECIAL WEAPONS SET (2)

MKII COMMAND SET
20 LEGION MKII TACTICAL SPACE MARINES
SPACE MARINE BOLTER - PHOBOS PATTERN (30)
PHOBOS PATTERN BOLT PISTOLS AND PACKS (40)
10 LEGION MK II TACTICAL SUPPORT SPACE MARINES
LEGION ROTOR CANNONS (10)
LEGION FLAMERS (10)
LEGION MELTA GUNS (10)
LEGION PLASMA GUNS (10)
VOLKITE CALIVERS (10)

LEGION MK II COMMAND UPGRADE
20 LEGION MKII ASSAULT SPACE MARINES
10 LEGION MK II DESPOILERS

LEGION MkIII COMMAND UPGRADE
40 LEGION MKIII BREACHER SIEGE SPACE MARINES

LEGION SEEKER BOLTERS (10)

LEGION MK II COMMAND UPGRADE
10 LEGION MKII CRUSADE ARMOUR SPACE MARINES
LEGION HEAVY BOLTERS (5)
LEGION MISSILE LAUNCHERs (5)
LEGION MULTI MELTAS (5)
LEGION PLASMA CANNONS (5)
LEGION LASCANNONS (5)

1 TITAN TECH PRIEST
9 MECHANICUM THALLAX

That's.... what you have to look at?!?!? blink.png Jeez, dude, you got one heck of a bits box, lol. Personally, I like option 3.

3. Grey Legions during the Unification Wars before the Great Crusade.

--- bonus is I can use stormcloud grey with non-legion specific markings, bitz, etc

--- drawback is I have to use stormcloud grey?

The Unification Wars were a breeding ground for unique honours, as the horrors and tyrants of Old Night were faced down by the first Legionnaires. Quite a few Legions picked up unique names and heraldry during these struggles, from the Luna Wolves and their white and black plate, to the VII Legion and their Roma battle honours with the single yellow arm, the Imperial Heralds with their unique Legion symbol and mission, and on and on. We haven't even chipped the surface of the Unification Wars, and there is a lot of room to make your own unique story from the ashes of blasted Terra. I say, go for it, and go crazy.

So after Iron Warriors, I plan to do some Loyalist.

I have narrowed the list down to the following Legion.

Iron Hands

Salamanders

Space Wolves

Blood Angels

Raven Guards

From story and fluff wise,I have been reading Vulkan Lives,Scorched Earth,Ravenlord (which is very very interesting IMO,Raven Guard playing Seal team 9 across the sector),Howl of the Heartworld (from Death and Defiance,where the Space Wolves names sounds like Indian names),and Riven (Zombie Iron Hands FTW!)

Basicly I haven't even tried playing 30k since all my models are still in painting and assembly stage,as for the tactics I'm currently building Iron Warriors. 

So any tips here? To be honest I like all the fluff so it doesn't really matter. I'm the type of dude if the story is interesting then I'll play it so my love for a legion is volitile at best.

Well, after much deliberation, soul searching, and research. I am finally settled on a Legion.

1010110001001010001000 the flesh is weak......surrender your flesh to the purity of hatred........00001011101001010100001111

Well my decision to use the binary was inspired by the whole machine spirit/omnissian/resistance is futile borg thing the iron hands have going.

I had a very rare hobby moment when I looked, really looked at an army I never paid any attention to. It made me angry to feel so dumb about writing them off because of a non flashy scheme. When I dug into them, the iron hands/iron tenth/storm walkers etc. just clicked for me. And, if wanted, I could use the third legio as allies to make the betrayal even worse. I am not one of those guys who chooses based on the primarch, but Manus is pretty boss. I might even do some unification wars/iron tenth era. I think grey legionaires that are starting to incorporate more and more metal into their heraldry might be a solid hobby project.

I also was kicking down a joint legion task force from the unification era. That seem the best rout to go for adding all that I want.

But no hobby ADD, I am sticking the Iron Hands for now. I'll branch out later, maybe after about 3,000 points, ill add some admech or something with a little color.

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I'm looking for some advice on which legion and type of force to build.

First, I don't play much, but I'm loving the W40k universe and especially the Horus Heresy. While I don't play, I'm still trying to collect legal (and correct) force to play for the eventuality of a game. :)

I have a big force of Blood Angels, I will slowly port them to 30K. I have around 30 assault marines, 15 tactical, a squad of plasma support, lascanon support and some other units.

I have a small ally force of Imperial Fist, 10 tacticals, 10 breachers, 5 crusaders.

I like to see my different armies as fighting together or against each other. Build a story. BA + IF that's like the last defender of Terra. :)

I have already done some test miniatures for several legions (I have almost one of each). I'm also looking at some background and finally I have narrowed my choice to three legions.

1) Sons of Horus

They killed Sanguinius. A big eye as a symbol (Sauron ?). The bad guys of the bad guys. I love the style of reavers units and actually I already have the officer and flag bearer set.

They would probably be the core of my traitor force. I'm inspired by a patrolling or pillaging group. One big transport like a Land Raider, some reavers. Mostly MK IV.

2) Deathguard

I love the deathguard color since a deathguard showcase on BoLS (before FW released HH).

One of the FW artwork is even more inspiring. So clearly I would like an ally force of deathguards.

Maybe a destroyer squad and a moritat to go with them.

3) Iron Warriors

Kyr Vahlen. :D Awesome artwork, ennemy of the Imperial Fist.

Kyr Vahlen is a Warsmith, I probably need some vehicles to go along.

So I have quite a good idea of which legion I would like. But I don't know which theme could I use for each of them My loyalists are heavy on infantry and that's something I would like to change. I would like to start low on points. I have seen some interesting army at 1000pts. But the only thing I could think of for each of this army is a contemptor and some tactical marines. Ideally I would also be able to oppose each of these traitor forces against each others (Istvaan, ...).

So how could I build themed starting forces for Sons of Horus, Deathguard, Iron Warriors (Blood Angels and Imperial Fist if you have some inspiration left :)) that could more or less be fighting against each other?

Go full hog with the Blood Angels and Imperial Fists.

You want armies that fight each other? This is the Horus Heresy. The lines of loyalty are not exactly clear. Hell, you don't even have to Chaos-ify them, if you don't want to.

Maybe an Imperial Fists Company, forged in the pacification of a world that resisted compliance, sowing seeds of doubt and treachery that they would stoically resist for decades. Until the agents of the Warmaster find within them kindred spirits. The fortress reveals a chink in its armor.

Or a Blood Angels taskforce, long separated from the rest of the Legion, suffer nonetheless as the tragedy at Signus finds them far away in the void. Not everyone finds the Flaw so easily controlled. Some can't even understand why you would want to.

What matters more to the Imperial Fists and Blood Angels than brotherhood? The men who stand firm upon the walls together as one, and those who find support in their shared affliction, adding their roars of hatred into one manic voice of defiance against the fates.

They are noble. They are awe-inspiring. They are terrifying.

They are beautiful.

And they are tearing each other apart.

Go full hog with the Blood Angels and Imperial Fists.

You want armies that fight each other? This is the Horus Heresy. The lines of loyalty are not exactly clear. Hell, you don't even have to Chaos-ify them, if you don't want to.

Maybe an Imperial Fists Company, forged in the pacification of a world that resisted compliance, sowing seeds of doubt and treachery that they would stoically resist for decades. Until the agents of the Warmaster find within them kindred spirits. The fortress reveals a chink in its armor.

Or a Blood Angels taskforce, long separated from the rest of the Legion, suffer nonetheless as the tragedy at Signus finds them far away in the void. Not everyone finds the Flaw so easily controlled. Some can't even understand why you would want to.

What matters more to the Imperial Fists and Blood Angels than brotherhood? The men who stand firm upon the walls together as one, and those who find support in their shared affliction, adding their roars of hatred into one manic voice of defiance against the fates.

They are noble. They are awe-inspiring. They are terrifying.

They are beautiful.

And they are tearing each other apart.

Hoh-lee-crap! Please write my fluff! Seriously, my nerd-nads dropped a little lower!

I am not really looking for an advice on which legion to choose but rather what type of small scale forces (1000-1500 pts) could I build for each of these legion. With the constraints that they must provide interesting match between them and have some fluff around them.

Maybe it would have been best placed in the army list sub forum with some propositions attached? Should I create a topic there?

Also I'm more in the vision that traitor legions are split between a more or less majority of traitor following their primarch and the rest loyal to the emperor (or at least waging war alone). While loyalist legions don't have any reasons to chose between the Emperor and their Primarch since they are fighting together.

Seeing as my local GW is going to embark upon the roads of the Heresy, and I chose Sons of Horus/Luna Wolves, after reading the first and third heresy books, I am super excited to start building them. 

I have two forces in mind, one the "evil" Sons of Horus and one the "good" Luna Wolves, both having Horus in them. The forces are going to be built to between 2000-3000 points, so I can work with a lot.

Thanks

Hello,

so as the work on my Word Bearer Army comes to an end im looking for a small Theme Based side project. I have 4 Legions in mind but only one could it be.

Night Lords around Sevatar, Orbital Assault, Terror Squads and TDAs.

A infiltrating Alpha Legion Force.

A Siege Theme with Iron warriors.

Or at least Abbadons 1st Company with Justarin, Reaver and Contemptors.

Fisrt of all, Painting, Modelling and Style are my focus for this, with 10.000 Points Word Bearer i have enough choices for Playable strong Armys.

Now i ask you all for help by finding my desicion.

thanks

Gizur - Iron Warriors all the way

On the plausibility meter, how would you guys and gals rate this?

"Due to a curious mixture of his heritage and the gene seed of his primarch, veteran brother ****, a member of the XVIII legion since its inception, noticed that his skin didn't darken like his other Terran brothers, but remained its original tone upon his arrival at Nocturne"

Naturally this has nothing to do with me being unable to paint the coal black complexion and having some spare Blood Angel heads, nothing at all...

Honest

Well, it seems I've done it again. Went and changed focus with my force.........I am so lame.

It seems it took me a while to settle on the 10th. That has not changed.

But, I just read about how the Ferrus/Fulgrim bromance started. I gotta say it seemed to click. The idea of polar opposites forging bonds of brotherhood that is later shattered by betrayal. Wow. I'm in, like all the way in. So with that, I it looks likes I'm painting purple and black.

@Furioso Sounds good to me, go with whatever feels right, plus from my own experience painting volumes of black gets very tiresome.

(EDIT) @Gizur I'd choose based upon the character of the legions and their personalities, but if you need some help deciding here is a website that lists all the primarchs (based of the tarot cards) and their relationships with each other so it might help you to decide what allies to choose.

http://menducia.atspace.com/primarchs/V.html

Thanks for the link.

But when I try to look for some fluffy Allies for my WB the ttroubles will grow.

I don't like Magnus and his attitud. What makes it worse the TS are red again, after 10.000 points WB the last Color I would like to paint is red.

And after reading Angel Exterminatus I see that Perturabo doesn't like Lorgar or his legion at all.

With this in mind the only fluffy legion choice would be the WE but I can't never match the quality standards Poom has risen and unfortunately I don't have a cool concept for a theme.

So I'm standing at the start again.

Archived