Cypher...?

Triple_double_U

Hope this is the right power armoured chapter's page to post this in... or is it...?

So I'm using Imperial Guard in an upcoming campaign, the basic plan for them is to be sent to the region on a mission, without realising they are being manipulated by Cypher into achieving something for him.

But I'm getting a little stuck on what Cypher would want...

Would he be flitting round the galaxy collecting a certain item or piece of information?

What sort of contact would the imperial commander have with cypher/hooded figure? If an Astarte told a commander to go to that system and do this would they? or are there certain channels it has to go through?

Just looking for a bit of a brainstorm.

Back in the Eye of Terror Codex, Cypher could lead IG in battle as well as Chaos Space Marines.

In the grand scale of 40k fluff, few people would have seen a space marine let alone know more than a few chapters. Cypher could easily take command of a garrison or regiment as a Dark Angel and lead them to battle and even to victory. The guard would think they are following a Son of the Emperor and would only question him in the most obvious of circumstances. The only fluff I have read where a human has command over an Astartes is Malcador and then to a lesser degree the Lords of Terra. In all other cases, a Space Marine Captain or higher will take over command of any battlefield.

As we don't really know what cyphers aims and objectives are or even what side he is truly on then it's pretty much a blank canvass. Fallen Angels have been found running whole systems so I cant imagine cypher would struggle to dupe a few guardsmen into helping him complete his objective.

Hope this is the right power armoured chapter's page to post this in... or is it...?

So I'm using Imperial Guard in an upcoming campaign, the basic plan for them is to be sent to the region on a mission, without realising they are being manipulated by Cypher into achieving something for him.

But I'm getting a little stuck on what Cypher would want...

Would he be flitting round the galaxy collecting a certain item or piece of information?

What sort of contact would the imperial commander have with cypher/hooded figure? If an Astarte told a commander to go to that system and do this would they? or are there certain channels it has to go through?

Just looking for a bit of a brainstorm.

one way would be to have him encounter them on route to another battlefield and inform them they are being redirected elsewheres. Or he could spark an imperial guard army to go rogue so cipher may work unhindered. Gathering some font of ancient knowledge, or a powerful New tool.

Its reapply unclear what cipher is after.

Don't forget for all intents and purposes Cypher should appear to a human as a standard Astartes, granted he is alone and probably looks a bit different than what they see normally, but who are they to judge the Angels of Death.  After all, Angels of Darkness features Astelan basically controlling an Imperial Government by extension of the Governor. 

So as Luci said, his guile should be enough to convince an Imperial Officer of whatever he needs them to do.

The latest information on Cypher (his dataslate and, to a much lesser extent, the novel Master of Sanctity) suggests that his goal is to set up encounters between the Unforgiven chapters and their Fallen cousins. With that in mind here are a few questions to help the brainstorming.

• Are there any Dark Angel or Chaos space marine forces in the campaign?
  • Is Cypher just part of the narrative for your army or will you include him in your force on the tabletop?
  • Do you have to use the same army list in each game?

Here's what I would try to do in your position. Take as much or as little from this as you want. Cypher gathers some Fallen Angels, telling them he has a cunning plan to strike a blow against the Imperium. This plan is a lie. Cypher and his new friends then present themselves to an Imperial Guard general as loyalist space marines saying they need his assistance on a mission of great importance. This mission is also a lie. The Dark Angels can be relied on to take the bait and show up to capture the Fallen, giving a narrative hook for another player (or players) in the campaign. When you face them on the battlefield there's an opportunity to use the Altar of War scenarios from Cypher's dataslate, and you get to field Cypher and his attendant chosen Chaos space marines. In other games you're working towards whatever the central campaign goal is and could bring Cypher and the Fallen along for the battle if you wish. The key element is that nobody knows what Cypher's real agenda is so you don't need to be specific about why he's manipulating your commander. His mere presence is certain to stir up trouble.

The latest information on Cypher (his dataslate and, to a much lesser extent, the novel Master of Sanctity) suggests that his goal is to set up encounters between the Unforgiven chapters and their Fallen cousins. With that in mind here are a few questions to help the brainstorming.

• Are there any Dark Angel or Chaos space marine forces in the campaign?
  • Is Cypher just part of the narrative for your army or will you include him in your force on the tabletop?
  • Do you have to use the same army list in each game?

Here's what I would try to do in your position. Take as much or as little from this as you want. Cypher gathers some Fallen Angels, telling them he has a cunning plan to strike a blow against the Imperium. This plan is a lie. Cypher and his new friends then present themselves to an Imperial Guard general as loyalist space marines saying they need his assistance on a mission of great importance. This mission is also a lie. The Dark Angels can be relied on to take the bait and show up to capture the Fallen, giving a narrative hook for another player (or players) in the campaign. When you face them on the battlefield there's an opportunity to use the Altar of War scenarios from Cypher's dataslate, and you get to field Cypher and his attendant chosen Chaos space marines. In other games you're working towards whatever the central campaign goal is and could bring Cypher and the Fallen along for the battle if you wish. The key element is that nobody knows what Cypher's real agenda is so you don't need to be specific about why he's manipulating your commander. His mere presence is certain to stir up trouble.

could it be that cipher is actually loyal and wants to see his brother's brought to justice? Using the lions sword as bait to lure his loyal brothers?

There's a couple quotes in Cypher's dataslate that implies he wants to see the Fallen and the Unforgiven both brought to "justice", but Cypher is unlikely to see either the Dark Angels or the Imperium as 'good guys' to administer that justice:

Quote 1:

"You do not know me Master Beligor, but I'm afraid I know you only too well. You are lucky we are so different - for I do not equate justice with torture. I assure you, my judgement will be swift."

- Cypher's last words before executing the then Master Interrogator-Chaplain Beligor

"Flame, hammer and blood - so is meteoric iron worked, so were the Heavenfall Blades tempered. So too shall I test the Unforgiven."

- Cypher

Archived