Codex release timing

Solly

Greetings brothers,

has anyone else felt this or is it only me?

in the last 3 (i think) months GW has released codex: orks, space wolves and now grey knights. if this trend continues, fingers crossed, that equates to 1/month.

done a quick count this morning and i think there are only 12 codex's? feel free to correct this.

does this mean that a new DA codex will arrive sometime early next year....

in the good old days (a few years back) i seem to remember that GW used to release codex's about 1 every 6 months, though it may just have seemed that way.

we can only hope....

One of the rumours was that they're pushing to get the remaining older codices done either "soon" or by end of year (can't quite recall atm) and that following them they'd relax the schedule a bit.  I think that once we see the last 3(?) codices we'll see more of a focus on Fantasy since they've apparently got a new edition in the pipeline for that ruleset

a new edition of whfb is on the horizon? fantastic! first id heard of it.

in relation to the codex, if the whole "older codex's" thing is correct shouldnt that make us MORE likely to recieve a new codex? iirc our codex was either the first (or one of) for this edition of 40K, making it one of the oldest. wouldnt that result in our's being re-newed quiet soon?

fingers crossed...

Talking to a redshift, he advises that once the main codexes are done, it'll be supplements for the foreseeable future. He did say this in the context of me fishing for details about a Traitor Legions supplement, so salt required perhaps, but it would make business sense.

Release another new codex so soon and I'd expect a backlash, regardless of the things IMHO may need changed my in the current codex.

Yeah I don't think we're going to see much 40K for awhile after all the hard backs are released.  WHFB has really taken a backseat, quite honestly GW I think has let it wither on the vine.  I haven't seen anyone play a Fantasy game at my shop in a few months.  I can't see us getting a new codex until the earliest 2016 and even then that's an early estimate.

I think supplements might be in our future.  We're the only Imperial army without a supplement/formation, not including BA of course -- they haven't had their chance to get one yet and most certainly will whenever the codex comes out.  Quite frankly I don't think GW cares about Dark Angels in the slightest (unless it's Cypher related).

Seeing as how varied our codex is it should be pretty easy for them to whip up some formations based on our entries.  One of the reasons I have to think they haven't bothered is that it isn't worth their time investment to churn our rules for our codex since it's not a terribly popular army and there are more popular ones that will sell better.

a new edition of whfb is on the horizon? fantastic! first id heard of it.

in relation to the codex, if the whole "older codex's" thing is correct shouldnt that make us MORE likely to recieve a new codex? iirc our codex was either the first (or one of) for this edition of 40K, making it one of the oldest. wouldnt that result in our's being re-newed quiet soon?

fingers crossed...

By "older codex" I think they are referring to all the 5th edition prints that are still out there e.g Dark Eldar, Necrons, Blood Angels, etc. DA is a 6th print and more compatible with current 7th rules than those older codex's so yeah I also highly doubt DA codex will get a new release anytime soon.

We can always hope for some positive Errata and FAQ changes in the meantime via Black Library.

I don't regard ours as old, if we got a new one you'd loose bikes & terminators as troops which would cak up our 2 main builds

Remember brothers their taking out these options from others so that's my bike army redundant with only 3 fa slots

A supplement would be nice though

would have been nice to have one but, as solrac states, i suppose ours is fairly new compared to some of the others. i wouldnt mind some supplements however what would they be able to give us that we already dont have in our codex?

an updated errta would be nice too and probably more appropriate and useful i feel.

We have had a fair bit of attention and our Codex is still current, whereas (as mentioned above) there are older armies that need attention sooner.

Picking up on Sven's point, I wouldn't expect any of the big Chapters (SW, BA and us) to get supplements unless there is some fertile ground there already. If any of those three were to get a supplement, I would think it would be the BA as you could make a nice themed army out of the Lamenters or Flesh Tearers. The DA could, but it would require some considerbale expansion of the background to give our successors the necessary flavour and differences to make them stand out. The SW could have 13th company, but I don't know if they will do that again.

We have also had an apocalypse book and we are still the 7th ed poster boys, so I can't honestly find too much to complain about in terms of attention from GW. An FAQ would be sufficient to fix some of the potential problems in the book (cough, Nephilim, cough).

Let's face it, in GW's eyes our codex is still new. Five years down the road we may get a new one.

To be fair, our Codex is only, what, 20 months old. If that. In a world of 10+ individual factions, for one of three distinct gaming systems, I reckon that's a good 12-24 months away from being genuinely "old".

I don't expect a new codex within 2/3 years...I don't expect a supplement at all, never...I think that DA will have their codex at the beginning of 8th edition to be used as test bed for codex SM...

I think you're right, and it makes me sad...

GW has announced during their last seminary that they will concentrate n the further years around campaign books and additionnal dataslates.

That way they will get rid of the traditionnal new models = new codex = every 5 years.

As I see the thing, they'll have hard cover codex ready during the next 3-4 years, that will leave them room to include progressively new units using dataslate/WD/campaign books...

Thing is, GW will get more and more aware that their old fashioned payable rules system is no longer viable. I suspect that the absence of dataslates after the end 2013 tough release is due to the fact that they got hacked really easily and it don't really bring the money back. And thing are gonna get worth with time as codex got hacked easily wether it's a ebook or ibook publication...

As a consequence, we won't see new codex (unless a new race or a new "complemental codex" like sentinels of terra or farsight enclaves), and I see a raise up in price in 2018 for the v8 because the rules of the units will be included in the box set...

well, physical copies are rather easily hacked as well, just scan the book and turn it into a pdf msn-wink.gif .

personnaly i see the increased rate of releases as a sign of desperation from gw, as they try to make as much money in as short period of time as possible, to compensate (or try to) for the decrease of sales. but thats just my opinion and i have become sort of a hater in my old age laugh.png

well, physical copies are rather easily hacked as well, just scan the book and turn it into a pdf ;)  .personnaly i see the increased rate of releases as a sign of desperation from gw, as they try to make as much money in as short period of time as possible, to compensate (or try to) for the decrease of sales. but thats just my opinion and i have become sort of a hater in my old age :lol:

Agree with everything you say here, as I've increasingly thought that the current rulebook and codex pricing strategy is a barrier to entry for new players.

If, as we are repeatedly told, GW is a models company, not a games (or indeed books) company, then surely a need to invest minimum £100+ before you've actually even bought one model is contrary to your company's purpose.

I feel it's been desperation to release what are still arguably premium production (if not necessarily content) books at premium prices, to the detriment of model sales to new players ie kids with £10 a week pocket money.

Sorry if off topic, but feel this is relevant to analysis of the release schedule.

There are dataslates in 2014...

And supplements Too...

But we are DA... No supplement and no dataslate For us... Now and ever...

CSM dataslates and supplements

Eldar dataslates and supplement

Tau dataslates and supplement

SW supplement

Orks supplement

SM dataslates and supplements

and so on...

Today DA are the ONLY codex without dataslstes or supplements excluding Militarum Tempestus that are more a supplement of AM than a Real codex...

GW may be a multinational in the stock market but its design studio is still made by fanboys...

Now consider that in design studio there IS nobody that is a DA fan so nobody Will ever Write something For DA... Just the codex that they give to somebody that must do it because the marketing told so and this leads to disasters like pur two last dexes...

Period...

I know where a bit pricey but battle after Battle shows me how valuable 1st turn DS is

And

How awesome the ravenwing knights are + you have the PFG your bff with all marines just glory in what we have smite the enemy and drink a toast to the Lion

The codex: overcosted Angels is just a fill in waiting For the Real DA book... Codex DA 1st legion by FW...

There are dataslates in 2014...

And supplements Too...

But we are DA... No supplement and no dataslate For us... Now and ever...

CSM dataslates and supplements

Eldar dataslates and supplement

Tau dataslates and supplement

SW supplement

Orks supplement

SM dataslates and supplements

and so on...

Today DA are the ONLY codex without dataslstes or supplements excluding Militarum Tempestus that are more a supplement of AM than a Real codex...

GW may be a multinational in the stock market but its design studio is still made by fanboys...

Now consider that in design studio there IS nobody that is a DA fan so nobody Will ever Write something For DA... Just the codex that they give to somebody that must do it because the marketing told so and this leads to disasters like pur two last dexes...

Period...

I kinda love the expressions you use Sheol... "disaster", "Real DA Codex = codex Legion"... If I ever look for an allegory of exageration, I will use the expression Sheolized... :D

Getting a supplement is of no point if the content doe'snt bring you anything...

Supplement Black Legion? Who needs a supplement BL when the actual codex IS black Legion? Wouldn't have been better to release a new codex chaos? Or a Gods armies book?

You talk about how bland is our codex, but as a TS player I can tell you that codex chaos is pure crap. Playing chaos is just fielding a kitted DP, 2 units of cultists, Heldrakes, maybe a squad of nurgle spawn, a squad or 2 of nurgle oblits and that's all... If you take anything out of this, your list doesnt' work!

So how will you do when you want to play berserks? Or TS? or EC? THAT is overcosted.

Look at what they've done to the SW troops choices... You think the netlists are looking like a great company? It's just thunderwolves with the minimum troops choices.

Personnally, I don't want my DA codex allowing me to play only 2x5 scouts, 2 units of assault squads and 3 LS Vengeance to be competitive. If you ask GW to do the same thing with our codex as they did with the others, that's what will happen though.

And as for FW, I've already told you : THEY DO NOT PLAYTEST THEIR MODELS. They are just sculptors and writers who realized whatever crazy ideas that passes throught their heads.

The ONLY reason it works is because ALL armies use the same army list.

But what happen when brought into 40k? Overpowered... Look at the raptor gunship, the contemptor mortis, the whirlwind scorpius... Do you think they are fair choices in the 40k balance?

And look what happen when talking about "specialized" traits or squad. A friend of mine is collecting Emperor's Children, he won't use chapter tactics because they are crap comparing to generalist ones... Wow that's what I call knowing to balance a game!

(and by the way, why make vanilla traits if ALL legio are supposed to be published? There are not mentor legion or crimson fists in 30k!!!)

So take a breath, appreciate what you have, maybe change your opponents because sure, if you play everyday with a guy fielding a Tau/ white scars alliance with an ordo xenos detachment, you won't have fun... But actually even that shows an evidence : if other codex were so good then why do you need to miw them to obtain a competitive list?

Oh and play maelstrom missions too... you'll see that what were supposed to be winner lists have hard times in this environment while our DS termis and scout bikes are really helpful...

well, physical copies are rather easily hacked as well, just scan the book and turn it into a pdf ;)  .

personnaly i see the increased rate of releases as a sign of desperation from gw, as they try to make as much money in as short period of time as possible, to compensate (or try to) for the decrease of sales. but thats just my opinion and i have become sort of a hater in my old age :lol:

This is not incompatible with what I've said.

In a year of restructuration, it's normal to focus on what bring you money... and if putting the bases of a new releases system allows you to focus on the game that represents 80% of your sales, then you'd be dumb not to do it...

I don't regard ours as old, if we got a new one you'd loose bikes & terminators as troops which would cak up our 2 main builds

Remember brothers their taking out these options from others so that's my bike army redundant with only 3 fa slots

A supplement would be nice though

We may lose them as troops but the new codex will make Formations for the Deathwing and Ravenwing with other bonuses just like they did with Space Wolves.

But yes this will not happen for a long time me thinks like everyone else has already said.

Archived