Of Marks and the Dedicated to Chaos

Angrypantz

I'm currently working on a fandex for chaos space marines in the tiny amount of free time that I have at the moment and I thoughtbo might pluck more thoughts from this esteemed subforum.

I'm trying to find the right balance between marked units and those who have become dedicated to the Gods since I have always seen the two as being very different. The problem is that we have such iconic cult units but one of them doesn't fit the pattern of a mark and a dedicated unit: Tzeeentch. I love the rubric marines but they don't strike me as the tipical dedicated of tzeentch since they are more victims of a spell designed to help them of the influence and warping nature of chaos.

Back in the old days of yore there was an option for chosen to upgrade a member of the unit to a sorcerer unless you took the mark of tzeentch in which case the entire unit could be. With the advent of brotherhood of pyskers/ sorcerers I felt there was a missed opportunity to represent those who had dedicated themselves to tzeentch and rewarded with greater psykic potential or even granting it through forced mutation.

With that in mind I have thought up a new unit and new type of dedication to help shape warbands not purely from the thousand sons. A lord that has the same potential as a grey knight grandmaster but with obvious differences. The dedication would grant the unit BoP/S and access to daemonolgy and tzeentch and maybe some other domains.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated

Angrypantz

PS I haven't had a chance to look at the new Grey Knights codex yet so going off the old 5th ed impression of grandmasters.

IMO marked should be cult. The only difference between cult and legion cult would be gear. A slanesh marked marine would be i5, to make him a NM you would buy him a sonic. A khorn csm would different from a WE, by gear by giving them actualy usable melee options[like you lose bolter but gain a chain ax, and can buy two handed glaives in special weapon slots]. Nurgle marines would be cheap t5 dudes. PMs would eb the FnP, blight grenades, poison knife etc.

Tzeench would [imo] require a change of mark[like X re-roll per squad per turn], and we may actualy see tzeench marines being used.

Veteran/chosen should be basic dudes with marks and some sort of vet skils.etc

Archived