Discovery regarding Death Company + Inquisitor

InquisitorBlack

Hey guys, I've been working really hard to optimise an armoured assault list that includes Meph + Corbs in an OS Land Raider (bought for ASM) and a squad of DC in an OS Land Raider.

After toying with different types of allies I stumbled across the modest Inquisitor. This is what he gives the DC...

Liber Heresius relic. Gives the DC Land Raider the scout rule on a leadership test at start of game. Also gives the DC the ability to have hatred on their first charge. The other abilities are split-fire, counter-attack and fear that can be used later in the game.

After upgrading to a level 1 psycher, he can give his unit hammerhand.

He can take rad grenades, reducing opposing units toughness by 1.

These abilities synergise to make a relatively small Death Company squad absolutely disgusting on their first charge.

Furious charge + Hammerhand = Strength 8 power axes and power lances, that can ID toughness 5 models. The regular death company are charging with 5 S7 attacks each, which ID toughness 4.

Combined with the ability to re-roll hits if you pass your hatred test and a free scout move, this unit is ridiculously efficient for cost.

The inquisitor comes in at 85 points, and 6 death company with 2 lances and an axe come in at 165. To summarise, for 250 points, you get:

10x S8 AP3 attacks at I5

15x S7 AP- attacks at I4

5x S8 AP2 attacks at I1

5x S5 AP3 attacks at I4

All re-rolling to hit on charge. 

I feel like this unit really balances the Mephistar really well. Conversely, if you aren't worried about Meph going down to firepower, you can throw corbs into the DC unit, as he'll get 5 S8 rending attacks on the charge, IDing T5.

Of course this assumes that we get off hammerhand and pass our tests for the Liber Heresius at L10, but I'm merely bringing attention to the capacity of this unit for cost.

Cheers

That is an interesting idea, I would really like to try that out.

Those Inquisitors are cheap enough for it.

Furious charge + Hammerhand = Strength 8 power axes and power lances, that can ID toughness 5 models. The regular death company are charging with 5 S7 attacks each, which ID toughness 4.

Uhm.. You need double the Strength of the Toughness to ID something.

So S8 can ID T4 and S7 only ID's T3.

Unless you are talking about Rad Grenades?

Edit: Hmm, Servo Skulls are interesting too.

They say you roll one less D6 for scatter when arriving by Deep Strike, combining it with Descent of Angels would mean you do not scatter at all.

Quite awesome for only 3 points.

Null Rods could make your unit immune to Psychic powers.

That seems better than the Psyker since that is too random and unreliable.

Hmm, Servo Skulls are interesting too.

They say you roll one less D6 for scatter when arriving by Deep Strike, combining it with Descent of Angels would mean you do not scatter at all.

Quite awesome for only 3 points.

Null Rods could make your unit immune to Psychic powers.

That seems better than the Psyker since that is too random and unreliable.

Servo skulls are great if you are using DoA units or Pods.

I disagree about the Null Rods. Hammerhand is what gives this unit its immense power. Having your regular DC ID T4, as well as having S8 lances and axes means you can ID big characters and threaten AV14.

But you only have a 1 in 6 chance on Hammerhand ;)

Although the other abilities might be worth it, but not for 30 points.

You can already ID characters and kill vehicles by adding a Thunder Hammer.

Same amount of points as Hammerhand, but you actually have a guarantee that you will get it!

But you only have a 1 in 6 chance on Hammerhand msn-wink.gif

Although the other abilities might be worth it, but not for 30 points.

You can already ID characters and kill vehicles by adding a Thunder Hammer.

Same amount of points as Hammerhand, but you actually have a guarantee that you will get it!

The inquisitor can take hammerhand by default, he doesn't have to roll. If you really want to kill vehicles and MCs, take a power fist in the squad. S11 + rad grenades IDs T6 monstrous creatures. These are on attacks that can't be challenged out, either.

The inquisitor can take hammerhand by default, he doesn't have to roll. If you really want to kill vehicles and MCs, take a power fist in the squad. S11 + rad grenades IDs T6 monstrous creatures. These are on attacks that can't be challenged out, either.

S10 vs T(6-1), so that could work and that is quite awesome.

But where do you find that they get it by default? Because I'm looking at the Digital Codex right now and I can only find this:

May upgrade to a Psyker (Mastery Level 1), generating powers from the Daemonology (Sanctic), Divination, Pyromancy, Telekinesis and Telepathy disciplines.

I cannot even find Hammerhand mentioned if I search the entire document.

Interesting stuff smile.png

Regarding the one less dice for scatter from servo-skulls, this wouldn't combine with DoA, which only applies to codex: BA units with JP. That would just be too awesome!

I know! But that's not what I mean.

DoA gives you D6 scatter instead of 2D6

Servo-skulls allow you to roll one D6 less, which would make you "scatter" with 0D6

Three Skulls are cheaper than a Teleport Homer and cover a gigantic area and you can place them nearly anywhere.

Edit: Oops, I thought the website would auto-merge my comments. Sorry!

S10 vs T(6-1), so that could work and that is quite awesome.

But where do you find that they get it by default? Because I'm looking at the Digital Codex right now and I can only find this:

May upgrade to a Psyker (Mastery Level 1), generating powers from the Daemonology (Sanctic), Divination, Pyromancy, Telekinesis and Telepathy disciplines.

I cannot even find Hammerhand mentioned if I search the entire document.

Did they change it? In the Codex: Inquisition document I have, it states that they can upgrade to a Level 1 Psyker, taking either Hammerhand or Psychic communion. And then it says they can swap this for powers from Divination, Pyromancy or Telekinesis.

Yes, perhaps they changed it.

I have the latest update of the eBook and I don't know how it was in the old one.

The best thing would be to look at the Valkyrie! If that is 100 points then your 'document' is out of date.

But that doesn't change the fact that an Inquisitor is still a great idea, especially with Servo-skulls.

Those 30 points you save can always be used for an additional PF/TH which is "almost" the same.

Interesting stuff smile.png

Regarding the one less dice for scatter from servo-skulls, this wouldn't combine with DoA, which only applies to codex: BA units with JP. That would just be too awesome!

I know! But that's not what I mean.

DoA gives you D6 scatter instead of 2D6

Servo-skulls allow you to roll one D6 less, which would make you "scatter" with 0D6

Three Skulls are cheaper than a Teleport Homer and cover a gigantic area and you can place them nearly anywhere.

Edit: Oops, I thought the website would auto-merge my comments. Sorry!

I get ya. Woops silly me, thinking skulls are attached to the unit. Does that -D6 bonus apply so long as you aim to deep strike within a certain range of a skull?

So for 9 points you could cover a 1400 square-inch area in which you do not scatter.

At least I don't have to take Dante any more :)

Combine that with the Legacy of Deep Striking Glory and perhaps I might even have fun again playing my Blood Angels.

If you want an Inquisitor with Rad Grenades, you need to take an Ordo Xenos one.

Nice to see that other people are looking along these lines. If it helps, I created this in the Tactica forum a little while ago to see how others are using their Inquisitors in this edition.

Whilst I have yet to kitbash an Inquisitor, here's what I am thinking of:

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

~ Power Armour

~ Rad Grenades

~ 3 x Servo Skulls

~ Psychic Mastery Level 1 (rolling on Divination)

Optional:

~ Digi Lasers, Liber Heresis

The thing is, the "base" amount is already 87 points and my concern is that it's so easy to go overspend on these.

Good shout on the Liber and Hammerhand calls :) It is a shame that they changed it to roll for Hammerhand now though (this change was made folling the old C:GK FAQ for 7th).

I've also done some thinking on it, and I will probably play it like this:

Orde Xenos Inquisitor

Bolt Pistol/Chainsword

Carapace Armour

Liber Heresius

Psychotroke Grenades

Rad Grenades

3x Servo Skulls

*No Digital Lasers, even though it's only a 5-point upgrade, it's still an upgrade I don't actually need and I want to keep it as cheap as possible.

*No Psychic Power, because I think that it's such a small chance to gain something useful and you are paying quite a lot for it.

Prescience might be useful, but Hatred can also do that and with the rest of the buffs I won't stay in combat for that long.

*Carapace Armour because he will stay behind and hide in the group, he will also refuse challenges.

*Servo Skulls for the free Deep Strike on my Jump Infantry.

*Rad Grenades because 'duh'.

*Psychotroke Grenades seem to be quite effective:

1. Nothing.

2. Really decimates any counter you might find! The only question would be: Does this set the profile-attack to 1 or the total?

Can you imagine an Ork Nob that suddenly attacks with only 1 instead of 5 attacks?

3. Prescience biggrin.png

4. 'Guaranteed' to have the enemy flee from combat, especially useful when you happen to have Fear from Liber Heresius or when you also attack that unit with Dante (Death Mask).

5. You always hit first, or at the same time with Fists/Hammers.

6. Who doesn't want a unit-wide "Mindshackle Scarab"?

I think that is a lot of value for only 15 points.

But the real questions are:

-How many Death Company? Because we don't want to overdo it, unless we charge multiple units at the same time.. Which would mean we lose both Rage and Furious Charge.

-What should their weapons be?

-How can we use this model if our Codex hits and JP's are at least 10 points cheaper?

PS. Found some more awesome things with the Skulls!

They also prevent infiltration, which can be quite nice if the new Assassins become popular.

They also reduce scatter from Blasts within 12"

But the real questions are:

-How many Death Company? Because we don't want to overdo it, unless we charge multiple units at the same time.. Which would mean we lose both Rage and Furious Charge.

-What should their weapons be?

-How can we use this model if our Codex hits and JP's are at least 10 points cheaper?

Is this in a land raider?  I'd say 10 DC, with two axes or fists. Chainsword + BP unless fist. 

I don't think you quite need 10 DC unless you are playing in the 2000 bracket, they will overkill almost anything and aren't very resilient or mobile after they disembark. Corbs is good with them, but the unit becomes even more expensive and the FnP bubble he provides is redundant, which is lost points in a small game.

I like 6-7 with a power weapon and a power fist. Power lances are great value against MEQ, especially with rad grenades. Axes also are great with rad grenades but fists might still be better as they give the unit some anti-vehicle capability. 

They are a good counter-balance to Meph, and DC have a reputation that precedes them, so they will attract a lot of attention, even in small numbers. The problem with taking a big unit is that the attention they generate will generally be warranted. Using them as a 'red herring' is a bit more deceptive, but if they still go unchecked, they will do a lot of damage.

Power Lances and Axes seem to be the best choice.

S4+FC+1 comes down to 6. With Rad-grenades that turns the enemy into T3.

And with Psychotroke and Liber Heresius (Hatred) you have multiple chances to reroll your 3+ to Hit.

You will also have a 2+ to Wound with Instant Death, on both AP3 at I4 or AP2 at I1.

Edit.

It's also possible to use the Inquisitor as our HQ.

That way we could roll on the Inquisition Tables with rerolls.

Would that be worth it?

Archived