Exorcists WIP thread

Kriegsmacht

Hi all

Decided to work on my Space Marines and finally decided on a chapter. Well at first I was reading up Red Hunters background and found them interested and started painting marines. Then I read the background for the Exorcists and thought "even better!". Lucky for me they both have red color scheme so I can continue painting my minis.

I started by using up whatever tactical squad bitz I had from my movie marine project. I also purchased over time an attack bike, company commander, and command squad. Then proceeded to start working on my company.

Just to let people know before the comments come up, this first batch of rank and file marines has some thick primer on them. I couldn't decide on the chapter I wanted for a while and unfortunately Simple Green doesn't remove Army Painter primer. This means that for a bunch of my rank and file marines the paint is gonna look a little thick then what I normal do. Since these are just the regular marines i'm not going to worry too much about it but will still try to make them look decent(the bare minis I'm posting will hopefully be painted better).

Also this is my first time with layering. I went by the Blood Angels collection in the paint section on GW site so started with a base of Mephiston Red , a wash of Carroburg Crimson, and a layer of Evil Sunz Scarlet with the next layer being Wild Riders Red. Honestly I don't know why I didn't try this sooner I guess I just felt I wasn't going to be good at it.

Couple of questions to anyone that can answer. In the BA collection the next steps after WRR layer is Kindleflame Dry paint and Bloodletter Glaze. Is the Dry paint necessary for the next highlight/layer or am I fine with leaving the minis at WRR?

Also will the glaze darken or brighten the minis? I noticed from the pictures on 40Kwiki that the forgeworld images are a dark red armor while other pics the armor is brighter. I'm fine either way just curious about what the glaze will do before I purchase it.

Ok enough blabbering here's the pics.

Company Commander Athios

Company Champion Cicero

Brother Vidius holding the company banner

Apothecary Perdico

Two marines with base paint and wash

Next two pics shows marines with Evil Sunz layer

Bought some paints and a librarian earlier today. Decided to try out the Kindleflame dry paint since that is suppose to be the next stage after the second layer. I don't really know what to say about it. If someone has tried this before and knows better than I do please tell me but I'm thinking I overdid it. My plan was to use it on the upper most areas of the armor and backpack.

Was that a good idea? did I apply too much? Will the bloodletter glaze make it look better or stand out even more?

I've been happy with the progress I was doing with the base, wash, and 2 layers but now that I tried the dry paint I'm kinda iffy on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like a good start so far! Let's see if I can be hobby helpful...

Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of the dry series. They are a bit clunky to work with, so I've just played around with a couple halfassedly myself. If we want to get a good series of blends going on, I can definitely help with that. A couple points:

1.) Glazes and washes work a little differently. A wash will darken your basecolor, and pool a bit in the recesses. They are really good for making the joins of armor stand out a bit, or darkening recesses more naturally. Try a thin strip of a brown or red wash in the crevice running around the shoulder pad (the join between the armor plate and the edging) and in a few deep recesses on the armor. 

2.) A blood letter glaze will pull the colors more closely together, and make the transitions between your layers a little smoother. What I think would work a little better though, is a halfway blend between the two to make it 3 layers. It's a little more work, but it will go a great way to easing those transitions better than a glaze. So from your washed basecoat try a layer of Evil Sunz, then quickly mix it 50/50 with Wild Rider for a broad highlight, then run a much narrower highlight of pure wild rider at the top most sections. Then if you still wanted to have an even edgier highlight, you could mix a bit of kindleflame with your Wild Rider and get the tippest toppiest bits.

Anywho, I hope that helps a bit. You're looking terrific so far, and I'm super pumped to see where these guys end up!

You can still use the blood letter glaze pretty easily over the top of everything to further ease the transitions as well if you want that extra, super-smooth step. All depends on how much work you want to put into each individual marine. 

Play around with a test marine or two, and let me know how it goes!

Here's an update on my marines. I added a 3rd one. If I'm going to do an extra layer like this I need to find an empty pot and mix a batch in it 'cause being color deficient I'm not gonna get the same color every time. laugh.png

I also painted over the kindleflame paint with wild rider red and I can see it looks better. They don't look dusty. I'll give the paint a try when I start working on bigger stuff like a dreadnaught or attack bike.

Thanks Cadleshoes there's a lot here that I've done for the first time with this chapter. The layering/glazing, blacklining(so happy to have bought micropens), and now the chapter symbol. I'm glad I started with these rank and file marines to test this all out. That way I'm hoping by the time I get to the Elites and HQ the practice will have paid off. Especially the horns I feel that's the hardest part to get down right without looking wonky.

This is the last update for this batch of marines for a little while. Chapter icons are 95% complete I just need to get a new micropen to make the lines on the horns. The pen decided to crap out on me and now it leaks ink in the cap. I think I messed it up when I didn't wait for the paint to dry before drawing the lines on the horns. Since then it wouldn't work properly and my method of trying to fix I(not well at all) made it worse.

This also means I won't be able to draw hexagrams on the armor until I get the new pen. I did edge highlighting on the black shoulder rims and on the MKIII helmet faceplates. Still need to paint the Tactical arrow on the right pad. The MKIII helm marine at bottom right has Agrellan Earth painted on the base. First time using this technical paint and wanted to see how it goes. If I like the results then the rest will get theirs painted.

Here's a group shot of the marines. Once I get the pen I'll get back to them.

In the meantime here's my next project. I mentioned once or twice elsewhere that I like Dreadnaughts so I figure for a change of pace I will paint my Exorcist Venerable Dreadnaught. biggrin.png
Oh and before those with good eyes remind me, yes I know some of the bolters need drilling. :P

Looking great so far buddy! They're really coming together.

Be sure not to toss your busted micron pen. You can totally pull its guts out and use it's ink to make an awesome wash for black lining and whatnot.

Update on the Dread and a pic each of a librarian and attack bike. Didn't realize how much details are on this Dread until I started painting. Every time I think I'm almost finished I find other things to paint. I haven't even gotten to the arms yet! laugh.png Also had a tough time trying to figure out how to highlight the panels especially the top ones. I figured i'd play it safe and layer around the four sides on each plate.

Thanks Candles and Flint for the comments. After this dread i'll go back to the marines then to either my Terminators or Company Champion.

Archived