Detachments and Declarations

Grimtooth

I have not played in any tournaments yet with 7th so I have no idea what has been trending on this subject.

When playing in a tournament, when are you declaring primary detachment and other detachments/formations?  I ask because it seems that to make a truly all comers list that benefits from maximum command benefits and/or warlord traits you could basically make a list that counters the most expected popular builds.  By building each detachment to be the strongpoint for the others weakpoint and then when you see what your opponent is bringing, you determine which detachment would be better suited to be your primary.

So once you build your detachments, can you choose before each game which will be your primary to make the most out of each?

Whichever Detachment contains your Warlord is your Primary. Period. No matter what Detachment style it is (aside from forbidden Detachments like the Allied Detachment).

If the tournament allows you to swap Warlords, and all the Detachments qualify, than yes, you can do this.

Archived