Nutty's Star Phantoms

Nutty

Greetings Brothers,

As some of you might have read here I have been toying with the idea of starting a Star Phantoms army. The Heraldry is wicked, the fluff is cool, and the chapter tactics are solid. It is however a challenging a scheme to pull of (for me atleast) so I've started this Plog in the hopes of getting some C&C on my work, and perhaps some tips to improve my painting. As well as to document my progress, and stay motivated.

Now to start of with a picture:

med_gallery_81005_9946_813605.jpg

It isn't the best quality, as I've taken it with my phone and don't own a "real" camera. But I'll snap a few pictures later today or tomorrow in the daylight, which should be a bit better.

I still need to finish the eyes and some of the purity seals, then add some freehand markings, followed by some cleanup work on the armor.

And of course the bases, but I'm not sure how I want to do those yet.

Thanks for reading,

Nutty

-edit- spelling mistake

Wow, that is a lot of white-- pretty astounded whenever someone tries to tackle a nearly all white paint scheme. 

Couple of questions for you: The star phantoms mark their company colors on the knee pads as well as the squad marking on the shoulder pads.  You have quite a few mk 6 "corvus" armors on these marines-- how are you planning to mark the company colors on those?

Also, what are your overall goals for the army? Will you be converting a captain androcles? 

Very nice work there Nutty of what is admittedly a challenging scheme... I also like the posing! :tu:

Your work seems very clean but some better (bigger) pics would help.

Keep going brother, what will be next in the pipeline?

Thanks for the kind words Brothers,

The_Chaplain: these guys are a combination of bitz and "ebay salvage", so the high ammount of corvus pattern legs is a bit of a coincidence, although I did trim the "the trim" of the shoulderpad on the missile launcher marine so he would have a full set of mkVI. I'll probably mix them in with other marines when I start filling out squads, but I'll add company markings in other places. I won't use company colours per se, but these markings in black & white:

gallery_43449_4253_3399.jpeg

I have a conversion planned for Captain Androcles that involves an old, slightly decapitated, Emperor's Champion model (don't tell the Templars) I have laying around in my bitzbox. As for the overall goals: I got a fondness for Apocalypse and a couple of buddies that feel the same. So there'll be a whole bunch of Phantoms haunting the halls of the B&C if all goes to plan.

Captain Semper: after finishing these guys, I'll do some kind of vehicle to try my hand at white on a large flat surface, and start work on my Captain Androcles Conversion.

-edit- (so as not to triple post)

As for the pics: I'll take some fresh ones in the daylight tomorrow to show the progress so far.

Some minor work on the first 5 Marines, but the picks are a bit better (I think), but my phone seems to have some trouble focusing on the white armour.

med_gallery_81005_9946_6442.jpg

med_gallery_81005_9946_1032253.jpg

med_gallery_81005_9946_1207905.jpg

med_gallery_81005_9946_199837.jpg

Still a ways to go, and I need to start thinking about what to do for bases

Try changing up the background a bit, the colours are pretty close and may be what's messing with your camera's focusing ability.

Those are some pretty nice looking models, is the white airbrushed or are you just a god with a brush?

Looking great from what I can see. Any chance of some closer pics. As articpaladin says maybe trying changing the backdrop slightly. Of also like to know how you're painting the white. I lost interest in my Phantoms and I think that was part of the problem. I couldn't find a quick easy way to paint white that have a result I liked.

A different backdrop is a good idea, so used to taking pics with a white background that it never crossed my mind... I'll see if I can dig up something darker.

As for the white:

I used valejo light grey primer (an Airbrush primer) but brushed it on in two thin layers, after that its several layers of 1:2 Ceramite White & Lahriman Medium. Shaded with thinned fenrisian grey, and the panels picked out with Shadow grey, followed by several more layers of Ceramite White.

It's still a bit patchy here and there, but some more layers will hopefully fix that. The parts I pulled from used models are a bit grainy/junky in places... But I'm not going to redo them for that, just pay a bit more attention with the next batch.

Getting an Airbrush is on my wishlist, but I kind of want a compressor to go with it.. And that makes it a bit pricy

Looks like I have a new recipe to try when I get some new models. I've had success just using thinned white on small details, but it always looks bad when used as the main colour. Thanks for the recipe, brother!

I'm quite excited to see what's coming next, I love when white is executed as greatly as you've done it.

Archived