No real Love for allies but Asassins & LOD look useful

SnakeChisler

Just got hold of these Dataslates and I'm impressed with the thoroughness in them pricey maybe but they seem the sort of allies I could learn to work with.

They don't Need HQ's and both have their own niche

I'm sure everyone has seen the stuff on the Vindicare but the Calladius looks just awesome and the Culexsus shuts down Invisibility straight off and will be a real pain to psychic deathstarts and for a bit of fun field all 4 in a formation with some added buffs

I think you're right, they're all pretty solid.  The Vindicare probably works best for us all around (he does for anyone really), and the Culexus is a great addition to any list that doesn't have a Librarian in it (mainly for the extra warpcharges/denies)

As always, I'll just pass. I'm a grumpy old fool that still doesn't get the tag along trend, specially because I'm always tight forpoints to field all the units I want, that find hard to put yet another unit in the bench while another from a strange book takes their place. That and having to buy tons of books/dataslates to be able to actually do it. So my DA fight alone.

But for those that can, have fun. This edition caters to everyone. Best one yet! Cheers!

I think actually the Culexus is the way to go for lots of all comers lists.

Even against lists that doesn't include a psyker, he still has decent stats and can take care of isolated units... He may cross the battlefield without the fear to be shoot at, and if the opponent does so, then he takes the risks of wasting a part of his firepower without result.

Vindicare is nice, for sure, thanks to the range he can prevent being shot at too, but not as much as the culexus...

Once my army is more stabilized and less psychizophrenic I will be buying a vindicare. I play a lot of armies with long range shenanigans. And being able to match or surpass their firepower even in a limited capacity is a huge advantage.

My local meta has lots of filthy space elves, fish people and other xenos.

Very few of us imperial players ( if you can believe it at our last store apocalypse game (imperialis vs greenskin) there were more sisters of battle than guardsmen!)

So having to tango with fire prisms, Leman russ, rippy's, chariots with laser cannons, and even mighty jéageru (wave serpent) is a recurring problem. It seems the only time I ever have even footing is when I'm playing against the nids or orkses. Where my only worries are monstrous creature spam and rush wagons.

I confess I haven't seen the dataslates, but neither unit really fits with the way I see the DA to be honest (okay, maybe Legion of the Damned, maybe), but I think if I were to get them I'd only use them when I was playing a scenario with an opponent rather than for pick-up games. But then I tend to prefer the narrative style of gameplay at the moment, so it is very much personal preference.

Culexus is must have vs Eldar or Grey Knights. It's also really good vs Tyranids. Vindicare is all around good vs everything. Callidus is even more useless since her departure from 3rd ed. The Eversor is crazy good against low armor units (IG, eldar, tau, etc).

In all, I don't mind using them when I need to. The formation is brutal and allows you to take 1 of each, plus and extra in the normal method and no longer requires an inquisitorial HQ unit. 5 assassins are an army on their own. Not sure why GW would allow this, especially since they are better than chapter masters at greatly reduced points. Honestly, I'd prefer DA couldn't use them bug received some other buff instead. Oh well, The Lion would have readily sacrificed non-DA forces for a greater tactical victory. So shall I.

I tend to run DA only and like Lucifer am always strapped for points but there are a couple of reasons why I've started looking at a small points option ally.

Legion of the Damned have the one thing that pesky star elves and all other skimmers can't avoid that's ignores cover, also the local meta round my way is ap2/3 heavy so saves are at a premium. I could do it with drop pod combi melta veterans but I had some spare marine sprues so I've nocked up a squad. Its a cheap way of getting marines onto the ground to mess up my opponents deployment even when they didn't succeed.

Were going to have to deal with invisibility more and more not played Demons yet in 7th but have played against Grey Knights (Pre new rules) and the amount of power dice there totting is insane

I confess I haven't seen the dataslates, but neither unit really fits with the way I see the DA to be honest (okay, maybe Legion of the Damned, maybe).

Well what you say here sounds like the DA (or others imperial forces) chose to have an assassin in their rank.

But actually they're often unaware of his presence on the battlefield. They are sent here by Terra without the opinion of the chapter.

More important : an ork player can play a vindicate... He's supposed to be here to allow orks to resist a tyranids attack so that both forces occupy themselves and leave enough time to the imperium to organize themselves...

Same thing for the LotD... The chapter doesn't ask for them to appear...

Having played against the Vindicare a number of times for those wishing to field him the general game went along the lines of kill the vindicare then start the game when he's dead normally in turn 2.

Yes he's got an invulnerable and stealth but your not going to leave your warlord in plain view or your apothecary or your Banner guy so if your looking at disruption then I guess he's viable but it does skew the games.

In fact the Legion of the Damned are probably a decent counter to him or even 1 of the other assassins the Callidus is only hitable on a 6 tin the 1st turn

Was hoping they'd put out a plastic box set for the assassins

Having played against the Vindicare a number of times for those wishing to field him the general game went along the lines of kill the vindicare then start the game when he's dead normally in turn 2.

Yes he's got an invulnerable and stealth but your not going to leave your warlord in plain view or your apothecary or your Banner guy so if your looking at disruption then I guess he's viable but it does skew the games.

In fact the Legion of the Damned are probably a decent counter to him or even 1 of the other assassins the Callidus is only hitable on a 6 tin the 1st turn

Was hoping they'd put out a plastic box set for the assassins

Dark Shroud + stealth = insane++ save.

I think he excels most against strong close combat armies where he can shoot out the squad leaders/power weapons etc. Especially if the enemy has to waste several turns firing their only long range weapons at him.

OK so I've nocked up 1 squad of LOD and thought I'd give a bit report on how they did

Squad was 1 multi melta 1 melta 1 combi melta 6 guys in total 180 points not cheap so how did they do? Surprisingly well with the re-roll on scatter you can be more aggressive with them in all 3 games they've appeared in I've lost the roll off for 1st turn a huge disadvantage with the game my opponent also having reserves. Game 1 they dropped down took out a squad of pathfinders for 1st blood then proceeded to weather an insane amount of fire before locking his warlords fire warrior squad in combat for the rest of the match. 2nd game they blew up 2 skimmer tanks both of which tried to run away 3rd match they dropped by his broadside team took the full load of interceptor fire before taking 2 out a and tar pitting what was left in combat.

I've probably been a bit lucky with this rolling but ignores cover is insanely useful when skimmers can get a 3+ jinx save or his men are on a point with the grav wave generator also that insanely op warlord straight that let's them go to ground then get back up again.

Anyway gonna build a 2nd squad and add a power axe to the Sgt as combining death wing assault with outflank ravenwing opens up a new combination for me anyways

Archived