WIP - Black Templars

Hi everyone

I just posted these in my Space Wolf army log. But though I'd get topic on go on these models as well.

I've recently been getting some Templar models painted. Mainly just get back into the habit of painting them as it has been almost ten years since I last use my Templars. But I'm aim on bring them back, as Templars where a favrout army of mine & all started when the limited ed Emperor Champion model was release during the led up off the third war of Armageddon. Since then a lot change, my skill have change from what they use to be back in 2005 & also Games Workshop release a lot of great kits for the Space Marines & in general over the few years there.

If all goes to plan, I'm hoping to get my Templar army on the go just around Christmas & will aim to get a army log on the go as they help give focuse.

But for now here a unit of them. The model loading the Bolter was the first model painted, he was painted last year but with a lot on the go, was only during Saturday that saw him finish painted.
The other three models where just painted today

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/Space%20Wolves/DSC08430_zps70f0fd43.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/Space%20Wolves/DSC08431_zps66972a2a.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/Space%20Wolves/DSC08432_zps9a18f057.jpg

Still a few parts to tidy up & finish painting. The base will be done in the next few week as I need to build a few 40k building to help base new Iron Warriors models I have planned biggrin.png
I think right now, if I can get another Battle Brother painted up I can use them in a few kill team games & just allow me to get back to useing Templars & getting use to them for the gaming side.

But though I show the models I've got painted right now. As said if all goes to plan, hope to get a army on the go by Christmas & also have the Limited Emperor Champion paint strip & ready to be re-painted.

IP

But...but...swords!

Those clunky boxes they're holding aren't swords! This is blasphemy!

teehee.gif

Pretty good I would say. Red weapons are a rare treat, but work pretty well in the right color arrangement (yes, there is more than just one with Templars!).

You are right about the model range expansion since the old days. Templars, even with our future of continued independent models snatched away from us, can at least steal from other kits pretty well. Berzerkers, Empire and Bretonnia, Gray Knights, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, even some select Wolf bits. You can use them all biggrin.png

The weird bits of battle damage around the feet seem out of place. At first I didn't see it anywhere else, but after looking closer, I think it's just a matter of crappy lighting for the pics. Battle damage on black is a nasty endeavor anyway The most glaring issue is the shoulders. It's a royal pain, a super duper mega royal pain, but you really got to try and get the black edges crisp and neat, because the white is such a sharp contrast any messy borders will stick out like sore thumbs. A few spots on the tabards could use some smoothing out, too.

Nice to see someone going the full distance and adding text and scripture. We save some time by being black, so a little extra work like that seems only proper msn-wink.gif

There is one super duper glaringly serious issue that I have to point out. There are only 4 of them. More! We must have more!!!

Nice work mate will be great to see this army progress :)

Mate you have all the best ideas, I myself am in the midst of painting up some dark angels in a pre heresy scheme and it got me thinking about black Templars and how cool they are.

I might aswell just start an iron warriors army too and just have it be done with :)

I love to see your style translate to other armies/paint schemes and the subtle use of bits that always distinguishes your work.

But I agree with firepower that swords are cool, and black Templars need swords, so I'm keen to see what you have in mind. Don't think I've ever seen you use a pair of assault marine running legs come to think of it....

Love the red tones on the Bolters, I think red is one of the colours that works very well with the Templars scheme. Something to keep in mind though (depending on how many you are planning on doing), is that it is hard to come up with many ways to differentiate them, you quickly run out of colours and combinations  while still giving a cohesive look. So resist the urge in using all of the special little bits straight off the bat, otherwise you will find yourself lacking for ideas down the track when you want a special unit like the Brethren or vets or something like that.

The added scripting is great, it is one element which I really enjoy about the Templars and allows them to show a lot of flavour, my Champions are nearly completely covered  in scripture while there are a few Brothers who have not got anything more than a single line showing their recent initiation to full Astartes.

Two pieces of advice/suggestion/ideas (take it how you will)

- Templar shoulder pads are quite plentiful and easy to get now. They add some fantastic depth to the model and have quite a large asosrtment to pick from. If you can get a bit of stockpile you can seperate some of the designs and use them to designate sergeants or more important models.

- Cloaks work quite well with speical model done in Templar theme. There are some good suppliers of cloaks which fit perfectly on the marines models, Anvil is a good one.

Look forward to seeing more!

Thanks for the comments

- Templar shoulder pads are quite plentiful and easy to get now. They add some fantastic depth to the model and have quite a large asosrtment to pick from. If you can get a bit of stockpile you can seperate some of the designs and use them to designate sergeants or more important models.

- Cloaks work quite well with speical model done in Templar theme. There are some good suppliers of cloaks which fit perfectly on the marines models, Anvil is a good one.

Look forward to seeing more!

Thanks.

Just quickly say I'm avoid the molded shoulder pads.  I'm just not keen on the plastic once release for them & the metal once seem to be a bit smaller on the Marines, while my IW once are normal?  It the same when working on my Fallen, I'm not to keen on the once in the Dark Angels kit, however the Ravenwing once from the Command box are brillaint.
However I will be looking that diffrent desgin as the mini codex when Templars got there first set of rules has some cool desgin there :D  Also Templars have a lot of great art work to take idea from :D

I'll also be looking though the Knight Templars to get idea from check the internet or Assassin's Creed, there a lot out there to research & get idea from to help toward the more elite units.

Sorry I don't buy bits out side of Games Workshop kits.  Not all to keen on buying from other company/none GW parts & I really hate waiting on order to arrive more than anything else as well.  All my armies are 100% GW/FW kits & that'll never change.

Mean nothing bad - with this being the forum.  Just not keen on third company none GW part.

But I'm also going to look that useing some of the Dark Angel range for conversion when this army start in a few month time :D

They look good. Are these 'tabarded' legs from the sternguard kit? Either way, they'll get repetitive fast if there are only two variations of them in the box...

Yes the leg & some armour plate are from the Sternguard, just bitz I had right away/left over on the spure to make up the Templars models as other parts where use else where.  So I got one more to make up the Sargent tomorrow so he can be painted on Saturday :D

There also the Vanguard kit?  That I'll be useing a lot toward future Templars when this army start around Christmas.

But...but...swords!

Those clunky boxes they're holding aren't swords!  This is blasphemy!

All chainswords are being use for my Space Wolves right now.  Don't worry there will be close combat weapons , but there also be Bolter arm models when I start my army around Christmas time & as always my army going to be tank heavy.  All come down to the models I like & the army list I write just to get my Templars on the go for gaming, then added more models to change about for future games :D 

Just find it best to get a test model painted so you can plan out how everthing going to be done for the look & style you want.  Then I'll paint the rest models in this case three models, just to see how it all goes & allow me to see how long it'll take me to paint these models time wise.

So far my Iron Warriors can take 2-4 hours to paint, possible 6 hour depend amount I'm painting.  Space Wolves, not painted any in a few years so new once have taken me two day to get painted.

While the Templars have taken me single day to paint the three models, just tidy up & get base sorted :D

Archived