Some help putting the puppies back in thier kennel.

The Rogue Gamer

The gauntlet has been lay down at our local club. The 2 Space Wolves player have called out myself and the other resident DA player to a 2v2, 4000 point a side game.

Now. I know they have a new codex but I have no idea what's changed and what we need to keep an eye out for now. I know the one of the pup players likes running logan wing and also has done well with blood claw heavy list. He likes to run drop pods and is usually ground pounding but I have it that he's aquired one of the new flyers and the dreadnought, so it a good bet that he'll be running those.

The other guy likes to run thunderwolf cav with blood claws. Both players like their rune priests. As any good wolfie does.

What I'd appreciate is some heads up on both those new units and new tricks old units may have picked up for doggie drops.

My partner in a Deathwing guy and going from the brief chat we've had is looking to run 3 landraiders, so I assume at least 3 squads of terminators, Balial and allie in a vindicar assassin.

Myself. I'm usually a Ravenwing guy that runs a 3 man command squad with a dakka standard and librarian with apoth, at least 3 full RAS with typhoons twin plasma/melta and melta trike and at least one (occasionally 2) Nephillim.

I do have at my disposal a Dark talon, a Dark shroud, a rearly used vengance speeder, 3 tempests and 6 full RAS.

The list I was contemplating taking was 2 detatchments.

1st

Stock Librarian, 2 10 man tac squads with plasma gun and cannon with assault cannon Razorbacks, 2 nephillim with las, 2 vindicators and a Landraider Aries ( yes the one with a battle cannon sticking out the front of it).

2nd det would be

A stock Librarian, 2 5 man tac squads with a plasma gun or cannon each with a assault cannon razorback for1 squad and a fire raptor.

Any info on the wolves or list feedback/ ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

They've some shiny new planes I'd expect to make an appearance

They do assault really well and Thunderwolf are a pain to deal with the Grenade launcher that lowers there toughness will be your friend as at T4 the can be insta killed with rockets

They like drop pods and can still mix a terminator with Storm shield in them to buff the saves

Darkshroud & Nephalim should work ok in this match up I'd probably take both

If your buddy is Deathwing them max out on Ravenwing just for the sheer joy of fielding them in a large point game anyways you'll need a reasonable amount of mobile melta to take care of the drop pods.

Did a 3000 point double table game the other week with Mealstrom cards bit of an all day affair with mysterious objectives but really fun, made it so the objectives couldn't be placed too near the board edge think we said 12" not sure

believe it or not I don't think the Dark Angels provide the point efficiency and close combat 'goodness' to contest the Wolves in close combat.  They have more tricks, and come in at too cheap for what they do.

I would play cagey, try not to get in the wetwork until the balance is clearly in your favour. I'd probably run a bike heavy list, using hit and run a lot. I'd take Sam for the AP2 (a good chance for termie work) and that staple of mine, the Black Knights.  Keeping Sam in a good, shooty melta biker squad, giving them all skilled rider.

Shoot more, be cagey, force them to be the aggressor as you throw rocks in their faces (dogs hate that). But obviously they are a darn good codex, always have been. So you have to be on your game and get the favorable match ups.

Can anyone give me some info on the new flyers and that dreadnought as I manage my assets properly if they show up.

Also, I know that long fangs are not quite as good due to the whole missiles only being ap3 for vehicles and I think their terminators got a small price drop, but did any thing get an extra buff or de-buff?

Thunderwolves are tough to kill, being Toughness 5 with multiple wounds, but one round of Smite from a unit if Deathwing Knights ought to snip their tails off pretty well (even if they have storm shields).  Also keep an out out for their new flier, which is very good what the points.  The Stormclaw Gunship carries a lot of anti-armor heavy firepower, plus up to 6 models (it is not an Assault Vehicle though).  The Stormwolf still caries a good array of weapons 9can be kittede out anit- infantry or anti-armor), but it also carries 16 models (and it is an Assault Vheoicle).  Wolfguard Terminators can be equipped with a wide array of weapons, and so can be a threat to a variety of units.  Blood Claws are WS 3 and BS 3, so they don't shoot as well and are easier for you to hit.  Last, Longfangs are potentially dangerous, but with no additional squad members armed with bolters to suck up wounds they lose effectiveness any time they lose models.  Space Wolves Scouts are not n00bs like everyone elses' are, and, in adtion to the pack laeder, two of them can carry either a plasma pistol or power weapon (quite useful that).  They also have new Dreadnoughts- Murderfang (he'll annihilate your infantry, but a bare bones Deathwing Venerable Dreandought will rip him a new one), Bjorn the Fellhanded (a bit more dangerous than a Deathwing Venerable Dreandought) and the standard Dreadnought, the Venerable version of which can be turned into a decent combat walker if given the giant axe and storm shield.  Other than that, Space Wolves are pretty much grey marines and can be dealt with accordingly.

And, if your opponents own Drop Pods, expect many of them.

If your taking land raiders. Pfg techmarine land raider shenanigans jump out at me as a serious possibility.

Okay picture this nightmare in your head:

Land raider crusader, 4+ invul save, re-roll pen table results, and inside are veterans or terminators and a techmarine. That's is a nightmare and a half. A big ugly brick you throw across the map and watch it squish stuff.

Space wolves New dex is an interesting beastie. She can take an expanded hq roster from us, she has instant death str test pieplate guns, and she has her magic table which while nerfed can be a cruel mistress. The space wolves also generally all have counter attack.

His flyers will be an issue, if you have one a contempor mortis forgeworld dread with assault cannons would be an ideal tool to have. If not aegis defense line with quad gun and some scouts or a techmarine would be smart. You can then use the servitors with hb's as points filler.

Basically what you want here is to either steal his charge with counter attack, squash his less cc capable units with a better unit, keep his flyers running for the hills as well as deterring advantageous drop pod assaults. Your also going to want to cripple his elite slot and hq slot as fast as you can. The faster those molars are extracted the quicker you neutralize his biggest bite.

Cheers for the tips guys. Think I'll go with the ravenwing. 

Sam on corvax

LV2 Librarian. With power field, auspex and a bike

Command squad with grenade launcher, apothecery and SoD

3 RAS with 6 bikes, double plasma, melta attack bike and typhoon speeder

A 3 bike RAS with double melta

And 2 Nephillim's

I would take more Black Knights but I don't own any more. There's plenty of  of anti infantry and Armour going on there and the Neph's can keep the skies clear picking of targets of any description.

Should compliment;

Balial

Terminator Librarian 

3 TH/SS terminator squads with cyclones

A squad of Knights

A Celestus Assault ram

Dminos predators.

I do use them as a squadron but I take them as part of the the RAS as it frustrates  opponent's when the go to trough a mass salvo of of fire in to the speeders and then realize that they only hit one. Priceless.

I do the same with the attack bikes.

Multiple small units = target saturation 

Despite the possibility of giving first blood away (whixh is not so easy because of jink), having Land speeders flying solo when possible is a huge boon. They can target the same or differnet targets if they wish and you can split them into better positions, sometimes it's contrainsing and unwieldy to have 2 vehicles remaining always so close to each other.

I am also interested in seeing the behaviour of 2 Nephilim, in theory two will be way better than one, like in dreanoughts and vindicators, please make a short batrep and share with us the battle.

I do use them as a squadron but I take them as part of the the RAS as it frustrates  opponent's when the go to trough a mass salvo of of fire in to the speeders and then realize that they only hit one. Priceless.

I do the same with the attack bikes.

Multiple small units = target saturation 

That is the Definition of "Doing Ravenwing Right."  

I usually make it clear to my opponents that the three speeders and two bikes are all separate units and try to position them so that they can only be shot by one squad a turn...

things to look out: Almost entire wolf army can outflank. That means you can get those shiny new flyers from your end hitting your back. Protect your flank by placing some unit 11" part to prevent enemy comming from your end and landing Arjac's shield brothers right next to your warlord. TWC is now plain nasty and cheap what they do. However their psychic defense got nerfed hard. If possible, I'd take few Mortis Dread's to counter those new Flyers. Nothing like Skyfire Twinlinked Lascannon shooting down 430P's of wolves crying their mama wolf before ending up pile of burning scrap Saves a day for Lion.

Game night tonight.

My team mates list;

Primary Detatchment: Codex Dark Angels

HQ

Belial with Storm Bolter & SOS

Elites

5x Deathwing Knights

Troops

2x 5 Deathwing Terminators with TH&SS, Assault Cannon

2x 5 Deathwing Terminators with TH&SS with Plasma Cannon

Fast Attack

Caestus Assault Ram

Heavy Support

Deimos Predator Executioner

Additional Detatchment: Officio Assasinorum Dataslate

Elites

Vimdicare Assassin

My list.

Sammeal on corvax

Lv2 librarian on bike with power field gen and aspex.

Ravenwing command squad; 3 blacknights with a granade launcher, apothecary and standard of dev.

3- 6 man RWAS with double plasma, melta attack bike, typoon landspeeder with heavy bolter.

A 3 man RWAS with double melta

2 Nephillim jet fighters with las cannons.

I'll try and document the game tonight in words and pictures. But I can't promise i won't get caught up in the game. Lol.

Sorry its taken a while to come back to you guys, the game was a tight win for the sons of the lion. Although I've got to say it wasn't the most elegant game of 40k I've ever played. It turned into one of those games where we won because our dice rolls were marginally not as bad as there's.

The neph's didn't really make their presance stand out but then and either failed to hit the stormwolf or he managed to pull his jink off. I think their just being there probably had an effect on how they played but the lack of hover and ending up in the wrong place didn't help. Lol.

Working on a battle rep so look out for that.

Cheers for the tips guys.

Archived