Where to put magna grapple?

hairojin

The fragioso. He's more likely to really go for blood when he arrives. (I would go with a melta on him instead of a flamer if you have the arms for it)

DC dreads are huge fire magnets and you might need to slow play him if he's to survive into combat. No need to invest any more into his shooting, you took him for his combat potential. 

Fragioso, for the reasons mentioned above, also it depends on the rest of your build, what other anti-armour you have and what role you have in mind for your fragioso but he is one of those special units which can, and should, be equipped to deal with armour and infantry. Bearing in mind you don't know what he's dropping against and where he might scatter.

Put the melta and mag on the fragioso and you have a unit that can both destroy a vehicle and rip an infantry unit to shreds in one turn.

Sorry, just had a brainfart, the fragioso have a melta, not a flamer.

I'm thinking it would be fun to use the grapple on the DC blender dread to pull in a transport full with troops so they can't get away in the following assault phase. But that might be wishful thinking to see it actually happen on the board before the enemy blows him up. It would also give him some purpose if there's no infantry close by and make both dreads more well rounded. But then again if it's wasted points then it's better to put it on the furioso. Thanks for your reply, I think I'll follow your advice.

Sorry, just had a brainfart, the fragioso have a melta, not a flamer.

Good choice in 7th. With the new shooting rules you can use the magna grapple to rope a vehicle into melta range and then fire the meltagun. Unfortunately you cannot pump the passengers full of shrapnel once their transport is destroyed.

I ran in to a problem. I just bought the furioso kit, built the DC dread with it and used bitz from the box to convert an old venerable dread I had laying around to a fragioso. Now it seems like the magna grapple won't fit directly on the ven dread frame without a lot of carving into it or converting it.

Here's the list btw, I don't know if it affects the choice for where to put the magna grapple.

2000 points

Librarian: Epistolary; bolt pistol

Furioso Dreadnought: frag cannon; blood fist (built-in meltagun); magna-grapple

Drop Pod

8 Sternguard Veterans: 3× combi-melta; heavy flamer; Space Marine Sergeant (power weapon)

Rhino: dozer blade

1 Sanguinary Priests

Sanguinary Priest: bolt pistol; chainsword

10 Tactical Marines: flamer; plasma cannon; Space Marine Sergeant (combi-flamer)

Razorback: twin-linked assault cannon; dozer blade

8 Death Company: 8× boltgun; 2× power fist

Drop Pod

Death Company Dreadnought: pair of blood talons (built-in heavy flamer)

Drop Pod

5 Assault Marines: flamer; Space Marine Sergeant (power weapon)

Razorback: twin-linked assault cannon; dozer blade

Baal Predator: sponson heavy bolters; dozer blade

2 Attack Bikes: 2× multi-melta

Stormraven Gunship: twin-linked multi-melta; side-sponson hurricane bolters

Librarian and priest rides with sternguard, librarian chooses all divination.

I just wish I had enough points to give both of them a grapple, and missiles on the drop pods, and another infantry squad...

I ran in to a problem. I just bought the furioso kit, built the DC dread with it and used bitz from the box to convert an old venerable dread I had laying around to a fragioso. Now it seems like the magna grapple won't fit directly on the ven dread frame without a lot of carving into it or converting it.

That unfortunately is the case.

Librarian: Epistolary; bolt pistol

Why do you think you need the Epistolary upgrade? With a single Psyker you porbably won't be rocking the psychic phase anyways so you will mostly use safe benedictions.

I just wish I had enough points to give both of them a grapple, and missiles on the drop pods, and another infantry squad...

Drop the Epistolary and you will have the points for another grappe. However I don't think a grapple is that great on a blender dread.

Archived