Raven Guard Dark Angel crossover

Ania Redfang

Ok hear me out on this one, I know it's a bit weird. My main army is Raven Guard Space Marines. I love the lore of the XIX Legion and their colours suit my painting mindset. However I absolutely love the Dark Angel models, and the feel of the army on the board, particularly but not exclusively Ravenwing and Deathwing. Also the word Raven appears in the title of both so I had to do this ;).

I started with adding a few bikers, painting up dark vengeance bikes into Raven Guard colours. Then I decided to try and do an all bike force, and naturally turned to codex Dark Angels. I have a command squad and two bike squads done and am waiting on my final Black Knight squad. All the models in the army are Dark Vengeance bikes converted with Raven Guard parts and Ravenwing Command box parts. Finally I converted a Darkshroud, removing the icon of old Caliban and sculpting a giant raven from greenstuff (other than the wings which are from the old metal griffon). The raven is chained to the speeder and is being fed a hormagaunt head by the falconer.

With this done, my mind wandered over to Deathwing. The ravenwing/guard colours are very similar, but the Deathwing are definitely not, so here is where my army starts to get a bit odd. Are they Raven Guard 1st company or a successor chapter of the Dark Angels? I believe it is the former, but an alternate history, an answer to the question "What if the Raven Guard organised their first and second companies as per the Dark Angels" In any case I painted up four squads of Deathwing, each individual and unique, in Raven Guard-esque colours. I also converted a Belial stand in, as well as a Sammeal on Jetbike for the Ravenwing.

So that's where I am now. I guess I just want thoughts on the state of the army and of the viability of the idea. I don't even know if this is the right forum, though as I play them as Dark Angels I guess it is... What do you all think? Am I crazy? WIll fluff nuts go mad and walk away? What should I add? I have a standard C:SM Raven Guard force which I would love to expand with models that could pull double duty, so I'm thinking of combining the Sternguard and DA Veteran boxes next... What do people think of my conversions? I know I haven't drilled any barrels, I will eventually but it isn't the most important thing to me.

Thanks for reading this ramble, any thoughts?  

Pictures: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/9988-the-call-of-the-hunts-dark-angel-raven-guard/ Sorry for the potato quality... how owuld I go about embedding these in my thread?

Cheers

They look brill. In my opinion it's your hobby you can do what you like. I personally would accept them. I'm not sure on a fluff point of view but you could always create your own. For example they are dark angels but have been separated from their chapter due to a conflict and have been fighting alongside the raven guard for so long that when they've needed new war gear they have had to use raven guard gear. Or your raven guard force has done an extensive campaign with dark angels and like their way of fighting.

As I said it's your hobby and your time and money your spending on it so fill your boots matey.

Tim.

Sorry for the potato quality... 

I almost did a spit take on my computer because of that. OMG... 

Anyway, I feel your pain, man. I think the Ravenwing have seriously cramped the Raven Guard gig for too long... I don't see why you can't just call them a RG successor chapter but give the chapter some kind of 'sword' or 'knight' style name to justify the iconography. 

Hi, some really nice models there - I particularly like the look of your power weapons! And the giant raven is an original and fun idea, and well executed - nice one! smile.png I'm assuming you field it as a darkshroud? I was just wondering, how do you see it functioning to provide/improve your army's cover saves? Since I'm not convinced about the magic bits of rock principle, I'm considering amending the shroud myself, making the dude in the control booth look like a psyker wired into some big ol' signal booster tongue.png Or something...

If you want to put pictures from your gallery into your thread, the best way I've found is the button in the top bar, marked "My Media".

Your main question is especially interesting to me, because I'm mainly a DA player but am looking to field some counts-as Raven Guard, which I will model & paint as unforgiven! I, like you, am a fan of the RG's shadowy tactics, but I'm not fond of their aesthetic myself. Anyhoo, I echo Skilgannan's view, and would add that as long as you're playing to the rules and making it clear which codex (and corresponding set of rules) you're using, there's no reason not to use the models YOU like best. But I'm very casual in my approach and don't have problems with people deviating from established canon (I mean let's face it, it's constantly evolving) in the name of entertainment.

To finish, personally if you brought that army out against me I'd be all, "Oooh, me likey! Which side of the board do you want?". Peace.

Oh, wait...... I mean WAR.

Archived