Pure Deathwing vs Air

Musty

Why do you need to?  It is galling to take wounds sometimes, but the big scare of airpower, AP3 flamers, dont affect Deathwing at all so you are making you usual 2+ saves. Ignore them.  Kill the ground units and stand on the objectives.

Or buy Mortis Lascannons for one of those Ven Dreads.

Why do you need to? It is galling to take wounds sometimes, but the big scare of airpower, AP3 flamers, dont affect Deathwing at all so you are making you usual 2+ saves. Ignore them. Kill the ground units and stand on the objectives.

Basically this, the only thing you have to fear is the vendetta and it's twin linked las cannons and the space wolf flying fridge with the large blast piellate

The rest you either get 2+ saves against or you can't be hurt by.

If you had too there's always the 200pts contempor mortis, or if you wanted to be cheap bring some sniper scouts, aegis d line /w quad and coteaz as an ally.

Coteaz has lousy bs but he is twin linked. devestators could be fielded in place of scouts if you want some improved dakka because of signum link.

Here's the secret answer to your specific question:

Hint- if you play Ravenwing, you don't have to worry about anti-air!

Seriously, I first started worrying about it, and with pure Ravenwing I found it MUCH more productive to skip it entirely! Seriously. If you have any of the other wings, especially Greenwing you may find you are babysitting those units stuck moving slow. But with the Ravenwing you are advancing typically at an alarming rate and you will be underneath most air support in 2 turns....

I play air support only for fun, but it actually dilutes my Ravenwing. I'm dead serious. In my opinion the best air support in a pure Ravenwing list is turbo underneath it. Sure some stuff is going to have its way with you. 

What adds to this is our anti-air is just bad. There are much meaner, cheaper, more flexible/durable air units out there. The only other thing I personally rely on is using something attached to a fortification, but again, totally unnecessary. 

As a side note: I haven't been to a local tournament that allows Forgeworld so we rarely allow/use the units here because it would detract from your ability to prepare for a tournament. However, I can't commend on the Contemptor as a result.

Flyers dont start on the board a decent 1st round and a dodgy roll for reserves and its virtually game over Ravenwing and Deathwing can strike so hard on Turn 1/2 so going 1st and unloading 2 rounds of shooting is better than investing in anti air once you've hammered their positions into dust just point all your guns at the incoming aircraft

Best anti aircraft guns in my army are multi melta's and Las Cannons coz of thier high strength & ap1/2 anything twin linked is a bonus most people don't jink single shots especially when their ground forces are taking a pounding  pump enough into the air and the planes will die

Splitfire on deathwing is a bonus just point your assault cannon to the sky and let rip

Why do you need to? It is galling to take wounds sometimes, but the big scare of airpower, AP3 flamers, dont affect Deathwing at all so you are making you usual 2+ saves. Ignore them. Kill the ground units and stand on the objectives.

Basically this, the only thing you have to fear is the vendetta and it's twin linked las cannons and the space wolf flying fridge with the large blast piellate

The rest you either get 2+ saves against or you can't be hurt by.

If you had too there's always the 200pts contempor mortis, or if you wanted to be cheap bring some sniper scouts, aegis d line /w quad and coteaz as an ally.

Coteaz has lousy bs but he is twin linked. devestators could be fielded in place of scouts if you want some improved dakka because of signum link.

I believe the term for the space wolf flying fridge is Stormwolf and Stormfang, although LOL, it does resemble a flying fridge right down to the Hellfrost cannon.

Anyway, yes, it can pump out at least two shots of AP1/2 per turn. However, the pie plate for Hellfrost cannon mode is only AP3 similar to Helldrake. Other than that, it can't really mass kill termies. Maximum loadout for both would be TL lascannon/multimelta plus Hellfrost Cannon focus mode, both of which are only Heavy 1.

Bear in mind Vector strike is only 1 attack now on the ground, so at worst, you'll only be losing one or two termies per turn.

Archived