Attack of the Clones

BassWave

So my buddy pointed out that with unbound, you can run multiples of the same special character and now he's thinking of running multiple saints.

Is he as dreadfully wrong as I think he is? If so, please provide quotes and page numbers that prove that you can't bring "clones".

Maybe.

The rule for unbound is "use whichever units from your collection you want." Do you have 3 Abaddon models in your collection? Take them all. After all, the Unique Model rule is right there next to the Force Roster in the Battle Forged section of the rules. The only requirement or restriction for what you take in an unbound army is that you own it.

And good luck finding someone to play with if you try that laugh.png

Doesn't codex trump rulebook? Abaddon and similar units have the unit composition 1 (unique). So you shouldn't be allowed to field more than one such unit even in an unbound army. If one player can break the codex rules why couldn't another field lots of WS 10 BS 10 S 10 T 10 W 10 I 10 A 10 Ld 10 Sv 1+/1++ grots for their standard price?

OK. So what page of the codex says what the unique rule does?

[eta]

I want say real quick this is all rhetorical for me. I'm not trying to change how people play or convince anyone it is OK to spring something different on an unsuspecting opponent. This is purely an academic look at the rule.

To me unbound is just GW saying "do what you want." Any limitations we put on Unbound we put them there ourselves. In this case I actually agree that taking more than one copy of a unique character is bad form. Unbound is there to help support Forging the Narrative and having two Draigo's running around tends to break the emersion of a narrative.

On the other hand, if we want to play a game with ... the Prime Evils! I'll take 4 Bel'kore models but mark them one for each Chaos god; you bring whatever you think you need to fight them. What's to stop us? The only limits are what we put there ourselves.

Unique Models
Some models are noted as being Unique in their Army List Entry. Unique models include named characters and extraordinary units or vehicles, of which
there is only one known example in the whole galaxy. Because of this, you can only ever include one of each Unique model in an army.

And agin, this is defined under the "Battle Forged" rules but not Unbound.

It's not actually. In fact, the very next section in the rulebook contains the words "As discussed above, there are many ways to forge a collection of Citadel miniatures into an army ready to crush your enemies in games of Warhammer 40,000. This section focuses on the Battle-forged method.", which would seem to imply that the preceding section applies to any army. There's certainly nothing in the Unique Models section that limits it to battle-forged armies and it's not in a section of rules that applies only to battle-forged armies.

There are other Codex restrictions the Unbound can't overrule.

The number of Serivtors based on Techmarines.  The number of Honour Guard.  The number of Inquisitorial Henchmen (in the old GK Dex) for examples.

Unbound might *want* you to bring anything you want.  But your Codexes say otherwise. ;)

And instead of going Specific > General, GW remained with Codex > everything else.

There are other Codex restrictions the Unbound can't overrule.

The number of Serivtors based on Techmarines. The number of Honour Guard. The number of Inquisitorial Henchmen (in the old GK Dex) for examples.

Unbound might *want* you to bring anything you want. But your Codexes say otherwise. msn-wink.gif

And instead of going Specific > General, GW remained with Codex > everything else.

I would beg to differ here. The BRB is fairly explicit in its wording. Unbound isn't for 'balanced' or 'competative' play. As Jacinda said, any limitations placed down are solely by mutual agreement of the two players.

The BRB is explict in the Codex rules trump anything in it.

Codex restricitons to units you can take superceed *any* allowance the BRB might offer.

It's crap, surely isn't RAI, but that's the explict rules.

The BRB might say bring anything, you Codex overrules and says to take an Honour guard Squad, you must take a Chapter Master (for example only).

Unbound isn't for 'balanced' or 'competative' play.

That is pure opinion.

Unbound is offered alongside Battle Forged as a way to build your army.  It's downside is that you gain no Command Benefits.

If that isn't a big enough drawback for the benefits Unbound offers is a totally different subject.

Archived