Crimson Slaughter Motivation (after reading Dark Vengeance)

Prot

Well I have been searching high and low for fuel for my evil marines of any origin.

But what caught my eye as many of you know is the scheme and feel of the Crimson Slaughter. But I wonder where if anywhere this chapter is going. I am currently listening to Ascension of Balthasar on jogs, and yes, I realized that Dark Vengeance takes place -after- Ascension....

Anyway, some stuff may dribble out of my mouth that could give a little plot line away here so.... (Crimson Slaughter) SPOILERS AHEAD.

+++ I had thought that Kranon had lost his head to a Dark Angel, but it turns out this is just a warp spawned vision brought to Turmiel the Librarian in which he foresees (many years in the future) that Balthasar beheads him as the Dark Angels close off escape routes during some planet excursion.  BUT this has not actually happened, and as is it referenced in the codex, the CS go on to head a spear tip of Abaddon's Black Crusade (no idea which one).

+++ Mortis Metalikus has a cool background, I won't give it away, but since he has his moments and fades out of the storyline, he is another questionable character.

+++ I felt towards the end that although the CS were portrayed as very potent enemies of the Imperium, they were largely in place to act as a punching bag for the Dark Angels. It feels towards the end with Turmiel's visions that the Crimson Slaughter kind of fade like a fart in the wind whereas I read the codex quite differently in that they still recruited, stole Dark Angel geneseed and had potential to actually grow....

+++ I have to wonder what will happen to this chapter now that the chaos stuff is probably not selling like it used to, and everyone who had interest in the CS has probably already picked up the codex. It kind of reminds me of Huron in the sense of you don't really hear about him anymore.

I really enjoyed the books, and background. I'm actually currently going through the ebook about the fall of the Crimson Sabres but of course at this point we all know how it goes down.

I skipped Dark Vengeance because it looked just like a little chaos 'promo' piece but the book surprised me. It's not stellar, but written in a unique fashion that highlights almost all of the models in the box set for both sides, including all the characters. An enjoyable, quick read.

I don't know if there's much a future for the chapter, but like many things with this game I suppose it is what you make of it.

Archived