Worth starting?

Ulfast

I have in two diffrent periods been thinking to start a dark angel army (but not as dark angels and instead as Angel of absolution as I want to try to paint a mostly white army), the second period being now. We have just finished a 40k campagin at my club and will start play fantasy for while and under that time it gives me the option to build a new 40k army.

But, is dark angels a fun army and is it comeptive with all the new stuff coming out in 7:ed like stompas, knights and other? If I start this army it will be DA and nothing else, I´m not intersting in mixing in other armies as allies. But what is your advice and thoughts about Da and starting them at this time in the game? Please help a hopefull soon recruit in the inner circle :)

As a painting project with look and feel the DA are one of the best Marines on the block with a load of Pimp from various box sets, the other worth looking at with its own unique style are the Wolves.

2nd what type of player are you, do you sit behind Thunderfire Cannons and Aegis defense lines or are you the get up and go kill type.

6th was Gunline and power builds while 7th is moving to progressive objectives and variety it also adds a whole new dimension to DA as has been noted all the latest army updates strip out troops from anything but infantry and its going to be a couple of years before our codex gets updated.

The names on a lot of the characters are from the fallen and getting a theme into your force gives it a nice cohesion

As for is it competitive a bad General will still be a bad General no matter what his army and a good General will wring the max out of every unit he has.

The advantage of the Ravenwing & Deathwing builds are their flexibility especially the 1st/2nd turn Deep Strike teleport homers on bikes and scout on Ravenwing and the way the Bike units split up with multiple small units, basically you can play the short game and pummel your opponent before his reserves come in or tactically deny targets and play the longer game with outflank Deep Strike.

But, is dark angels a fun army and is it comeptive with all the new stuff coming out in 7:ed like stompas, knights and other? If I start this army it will be DA and nothing else, I´m not intersting in mixing in other armies as allies. But what is your advice and thoughts about Da and starting them at this time in the game? Please help a hopefull soon recruit in the inner circle :)

Actually I have to answer with multiple choices reply.

If you mean : "If I chose not using any of the v7 features such as allies and detachment, am I able to win against people who don't have such behavior and who integrate knights, assassins, inquisitor and Legion of the Damned?"

The answer is obviously no and actually works for any codex of the GW range. If you choose to limit yourself and play against people that absolutely have no limit, with any codex, you'll be in trouble. Even the toughest codex use allies : Eldar often ally with Tau to be really hard in competitive environment.

You can't ask a codex on its own to be more powerful than multiple factions list. It it was so, DA would be the exclusive codex played in tourny and I let you imagine what it would become if you ally such codex with other ones.

Now if your question is "If I play a pure DA army, would I be able to have fun games against peple also playing pure codex armies?"

The answer is YES clearly

You dont choose DA, they choose you. With them I mean if you are more worried about competitive than fun then DA may not be what you are looking for.

I can't agree with this enough! Back when I first started 40k I originally chose Dark Angels, and through the years I've tried various others armies but I keep coming back to DA time and time again. Even when things got rough and I wanted to abandon ship for then "power" armies "i.e. Taudar" I just couldn't leave the Unforgiven behind (that, and my budget kept me in check too admittedly)

What draws me to them the most is the "all bike" theme, which is why I also play White Scars now and then.

But I can proudly proclaim that it was the Unforgiven that got me into 40k.

d-(^_~)z

Lots of people love all bikes. Lots of people love all termi's. Some people like both. DA do the best of both. White Scars might do better bikes (hotly debated everywhere), but we've pretty much got the only mix both bikes and Termi's army around.

What everyone says on here is true. If your game store or friends bring every top codex they have plus the kitchen sink and the limo then you are going to have to do the same to remain competitive. If you like the DA fluff and models then you should go DA. I tell this to everyone new in here. Bikes and Termi's and our codex have a huge learning curve. You get beat a lot at the beginning (most on here say they did anyway including yours truly) but once you start to learn it gets better and soon you pull out some awesome victories. One of the best things I love is someone saying how bad the DA codex is and then getting stomped by them. makes for an awesome win when it happens.

Also I've found after playing the codex playing "Vanilla" Marines is actually a bit boring to me personally. It just seems like while they don't have a ton of uber units they get all the toys so you don't have to learn tactics. The units can and do save you. DA have some glaring weaknesses that you have to learn how to come up with tactics or you lose. No units to save you. I would say the only thing we have that is glaring bad is the Anti Air department. You can ally in a flyer of your choice and fix this easy enough. Or you can often ignore flyers if you position and play well.

Welcome to the big stone in space. Be mindful of the little people in robes (their grouchy). Whatever you do don't piss off the Chaplains before their tea or coffee. Cell 42 is on the left with all the music and disco ball. Enjoy your stay at our fine establishment.

Archived