painting deathwing

aura_enchanted

I take the easy way out and the Seraphim Sepia wash. My technique is to prime with white (obviously), then paint all the other color details first (red Deathwing icons, gold decoration bits, stone Crux Terminatus, metal gun bits, etc.) and then I carefully paint the Seraphim Sepia wash over the model, making sure to pool it in the recesses. I try to make only one pass over the top of the model, and paint the wash more liberally over the bottom, to emulate shading. Then I use Flayed One Flesh edge paint to highlight the edges.

It can take a bit of practice to make the wash coat even, but after a while you'll get good at teasing it with your wash brush to pool where you want it to to create shadows.

Here's my Deathwing Command Squad painted with this techinque:

Command Squad.jpg

These were the first DW I painted this way, so you can see where I had trouble keeping the coat even, where there are darker splotches.

Here is mine;

Spray on white primer

Ushabti Bone base coat

Deathwing Iconography (Mephiston Red)

Cords (Scab Red)

Chest Heraldry (Caliban Green)

Gold and Bronze

Seraphim Sepia Wash

Boltgun Metal (Bolters, Hammers, Lightning Claws, Crux Terminatus)

Mithril Silver (Swords, chains, etc)

Bolter Casings (Red or Black)

Nuln Oil Wash these parts

Details (Eyes, keys, lenses, etc)

Comes out decent, my hands shake but I make a good effort.  Links in my Signature.

Paul

How does one recommend I go about painting beige deathwing using paints from the citadel line. Assuming I don't have access to any of those fancy spray primers (omitting black and white) that you would find in other countries.

Go to Imagine Games, downtown Wpg. They have the same Army Painter bone spray that I used on all the termies i've used here.

I know you don't like painting but this is the best way to get your foundation going. Water down some Agrax Earthshade and work it into the crevasses, and do your best on the details.

But yea, the easiest path is right down town at Imagine Games. :)

I've tried the white + bone and didn't like it that much as it looks washed out to me and I struggled to get enough definition on the highlights

With painting there's a couple of approaches subtle and looking good from a distance, subtle gives you tons of close up detail but from a distance they can look a bit monochrome and that's why I went with the following to give a bit more definition as a group. I ain't the best of painters and my eyesight is one that needs glasses.

Anyways a pic of a dread supplied as an example but it isn't  that brilliant just an example

Black undercoat (more to do with the rest of the model)

Zandri Dust (Base Layer) basically a sand/tan color chosen over bone as bone doesn't cover as well and as said thought it looked washed out

Reikland Flesh (Wash) chosen to give a redder tinge to the recesses Agrax looked OK but for me this looked a bit better, note GW washes have ink in them and look shiny while I put the wash all over I use a dry brush over the flatish areas to mop up pooling.

Bone as a highlight and a blended layer from Zandri, you can mix the 2 and cover the clearer areas if you like

What you end up with is this sort of thing

dread1

My method uses a mixture of paint manufacturers..

Army Painter Skeleton Bone spray 

Recesses in GW Agrax earthshade 

1st highlight Vallejo Pale Sand

2nd highlight Vallejo Ivory

Green:

Dark Angels Green (still got 3 pots left over :))

Vallejo black ink

1st highlight DA green

2nd highlight Goblin green

Red:

GW Mephiston Red

Vallejo Gory Red

GW Agrax Earthshade 

Highlight with GW Blood red

Mace head:

GW Tin Bitz

Vallejo black ink

drybrush Vallejo Gunmetal

Unfortunately a lot of the highlights have washed out in the photo but you get the general idea :)

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/200H/f/2014/199/6/0/deathwing_knight_by_elmo9141-d7r7n3f.jpg

Archived