Differences between printed codex and digital version

MoonPhoenix

Hi, brothers.

This is my first message on this great forum. I am from Belarus, so sorry for my bad English, because it is not my native language.

As you noticed, GW stopped to update FAQs a several mounths ago (e.g. Dark Angels faq does not update from 27th May 2014).

But digital version updated a mounth ago.

I wrote a letter to GW and BL couple days ago:

Hi.

Many players noticed significant differences between printed version of Dark Angel's codex + faq from BL and digital version of codex from iTunes.

According to digital version:

1. Power field genarator works only on unit embarked in transport, not on transport itself.
2. Standart of Devastation works only boltguns, twin-linked boltguns and combi-boltguns.
3. Lion's Roar have "One shot only" special rules.

But faq from BL does not contain such changes.

What version of rules should we use? Why does printed version of Dark Angel's codex + faq from BL not equal digital version of codex from iTunes?

Best regards.

Soon I got an answer:

HI Dzianis,

Thank you for your email. Our rules team are currently working on an updated FAQ for the Dark Angels to bring both versions of the codex in line. Whilst we are in the process of the update please use the digital versions rules as this is the most up to date.

Many thanks,

Stuart 

Black Library Customer Services

So I ask you for help.

Do any of you have an digital version of Dark Angels codex? If yes, could you provide a list of differences between printed version of codex + faqs from BL and digital version from iTunes?

If you already have such topic, please guide me.

Unfortunately I can not buy digital codex by myself for different reasons.

Best regards.

I don't have digi codex but the differences that I am aware of:

Lion's Roar relic is one shot only on the digi.

PFG works differently on the digi, IIRC they onlyprotect the vehicle if the bearer is embarked in, it doesn't extend to others.

TDA sgts can have TH&SS on the digi.

I don't have digi codex but the differences that I am aware of:

Lion's Roar relic is one shot only on the digi.

PFG works differently on the digi, IIRC they onlyprotect the vehicle if the bearer is embarked in, it doesn't extend to others.

TDA sgts can have TH&SS on the digi.

this

This whole thing is crazy and sums up very nicely why for me GW currently suck.

It's not good enough to say that the BL version is still being worked on - the rules' text already exists and has been signed off in the digital version - an easy job to copy and paste that into the normal faq. As such both could have been simultaneously released.

~I

I don't have a digital version... Uh.. It's not reasonable to have to guess or print screenshots of a forum post to show my opponents.

Until i get a corrcted FAQ i will be using the latest FAQ and my hardcopy to play the game.

I'll suffer through not having a sgt with a th/ss but retain my PFG bubble in a vehicle.

I don't have a digital version... Uh.. It's not reasonable to have to guess or print screenshots of a forum post to show my opponents.

Until i get a corrcted FAQ i will be using the latest FAQ and my hardcopy to play the game.

I'll suffer through not having a sgt with a th/ss but retain my PFG bubble in a vehicle.

The digi version doesn't allow any changes to the sgts wargear...it's ps and SB...mores the pity.

And to my reading Lions Roar was always one use...it states before FAQ that its a combi weapon, look at the entry for combi weapons and all state they are single use. Trying to use them otherwise is a misinterpretation of the rules IMO. Just because it doesn't state single use shouldn't mean you can use it multiple times as we all know combis are a single shot. I know some of you have used it as a multi shot weapon, and the points value coud justify that, but ... Come on lol

A combi weapon is only one shot is the combi part states it is as such, which doesnt happen in the DA paper codex. Flavour text is not the rules, so even if all the flavour text in the wirkd says a combi weapon is one shot, if the combi rules does not have the "one shot only rule" ( like the lions roar entry and until recently the lionz wrath) then you are allowed to fire several shots with the combi weapon. Thats RAW and we can argue until the sun explodes but that wont chqnge that unless they correct the paper version as often as the digital, exploits will happen. Personally given the fact all DA relics are lacklustre compared to other codexes relics, I am quite confortable using Lions roar as multi shot specially since there are non relic items much more broken *cough*eldar*cough*taucough* then a single item that use shoots around twice in a battle. Now Im sorry that digi using playrs dont have acess o it, but paper is more expensive, so we need an extra cherry... joking of course.

Im sure everything will be equalised eventually... I just want to say, dont feel like cheating if you squeeze extra juice here and there...with all the force fields shooting, cover denying and other such crazyness we do need every extra we can squeeze to stay floating until its our turn to get a new codex. As always your gaming group and TO are to ones you should go to if.you are.in doubt about a rule like the Lions Roar or the PFG.

Printed version is available to everyone and in various languages...

Digital version is available in english only and For Apple only...

No.

You could download iTunes client for PC and Linux.

Also, some of digital products (e.g. Grey Knights codex) exist for Android.

I think that digital version better than printed one. You could download it easily, it contains 360 degree images of models, build in Army Builder, autoupdate function, navigation and so on.

Unfortunately I already have printed version and don't want to buy the same rules ones again.

I didnt know the digital was apple only. I guess I will never own a digital codex ... msn-wink.gif

Go to the Black Library site to purchase them and you can get the non-Enhanced E-Book Editions that work on other devices as they are basically a PDF file that Kindle and other programs can open. The Dark Angels currently have the Enhanced Edition only as far as I can tell, but I would expect it to be out in E-book format relatively soon.

Found one more difference between printed and digital version.

In printed version LR of any type can be(must be) upgraded to Deathwing Vehicle only if selected as a Dedicated Transport.

In digital version LR of any type can be upgraded to Deathwing Vehicle without any restrictions.

And to think that I am owner of 60 GBP "limited collectors" edition of paper codex and now they're basically saying; its not enough, you must buy  iVersion to be up to date with rules changes.

Looks like I Don't Give A Duck about them! I mean I am not a golden goose, so why they try to squeeze me like one?

I am using Lions Roar as a multi-combi shot weapon, I run (on a bad day) 3 Land Raiders with dakka banner and all are protected by PFG, and I am using Deathwing Terminators in accordance with ETC rules stating that Standard of Devastation works on stormbolters and bolt pistols.

And my friends are fine with it because.....

And I still can hardly ever win against crones, Tau or Eldar........

Larhendiel, you don't need to worry about getting digital versions. I made my peace with it and I am a staunch paper supporter. I like to browse books, feel the touch of the paper and not stare at a tactile screen that can run out of battery in the middle of a game. For me the paper versions is the prime and the one that counts because you can't change what's written on paper.. the digital version can be changed by GW or a disgruntled hacker.

Archived