As a rule of thumb... if humidity is over 40%, I dont use spraypaint.

Now that I've moved to using an airbrush and do it in the utility room where the house is kept at 35%... it's no longer an issue.

I should add that to my reasons to join the Holy Order of the Airbrush.

I want to! I don't know how to get started, it seems so daunting. I've looked for YouTube videos of how to get started or how to use an airbrush and everything has been reviews of specific airbrush compressors or something just mislabeled (my computer died so I'm limited to searching on my phone which is not effective).

As a rule of thumb... if humidity is over 40%, I dont use spraypaint.

Now that I've moved to using an airbrush and do it in the utility room where the house is kept at 35%... it's no longer an issue.

I should add that to my reasons to join the Holy Order of the Airbrush.

I want to! I don't know how to get started, it seems so daunting. I've looked for YouTube videos of how to get started or how to use an airbrush and everything has been reviews of specific airbrush compressors or something just mislabeled (my computer died so I'm limited to searching on my phone which is not effective).

It's really not that difficult, just takes a little bit of practice. There are a few things you'll need though, some essential and some optional (but useful)...

Essential

1. An airbrush (duh!)

You can buy compressor + airbrush bundles, which are cheap, but the airbrushes themselves tend to be of fairly poor quality. I would say you're better off buying a compressor separately and getting a decent mid-range airbrush. I have two myself, a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity (which is very high quality and good for fine detail work) and a Badger Patriot 105 (which is a bit more clunky but reliable and a good workhorse). If I were to buy another one it would be an Iwata HP-C Plus, which is kind of the middle ground between the two.

The key features to look for are gravity feed (cup on top of the brush rather than pot underneath) and dual-action (press down on the trigger for air, and pull back for paint. A limiter control is also very useful – a screw action control at the back which allows you to limit how far back the lever can be pulled and therefore how much paint will be released. My H&S has one but the Patriot does not so you have to be careful not to pull back to far. The Iwata HP-C Plus has one. The other thing to consider is needle size. 0.2mm is probably about as fine a you'd want to go, up to 0.4mm/0.5mm. I believe the HP-C Plus comes with 0.3mm, so again – the middle ground. You can change the needle (and corresponding nozzle) on most airbrushes anyway.

2. A compressor

Loads available from sites such as Amazon. Get one with a tank so it can store air and not be running constantly, otherwise they can be annoyingly noisy. Something like this.

3. Hose

Some compressors come with them, but if not you'll need a 1/8" hose to connect the airbrush to the compressor.

4. Stand / cleaning pot, cleaner and brushes

You can't really put the airbrush down without some kind of stand or holder. There is a popular type which also doubles as a cleaning pot – you can spray excess paint / cleaning fluid into it. Vallejo cleaning fluid is very effective, and some brushes for dislodging paint from inside the track of the airbrush are also very useful. There is a bundle of all three here.

Optional

1. Spray booth

Very useful for spraying indoors (which is best as you're not restricted by weather conditions). This one packs away neatly and comes with a turn-table which is also very useful. Use paper to line the inside otherwise it will quickly get covered in paint which is a bitch to remove ( i.e. learn from my mistake ;) ).

2. Respirator

Even with a spray booth, if you're doing a marathon airbrush session it's a good idea to wear a respirator, unless you want polymers and ethanol fumes in your lungs. This one by 3M is good.

3. Quick release fitting

This is really, really useful. It allows you to detach the airbrush from the hose without needing to bleed all the air out of the compressor first, for cleaning, maintenance etc. Which one you get will depend on which airbrush you go for.

4. Masking materials

This is task-specific but you can achieve great effects with masking. Tamiya do excellent tape that sticks strongly but will not pull off any paint. It's available in different widths. For more organic or irregular shapes this stuff is good.

5. Paints

You can use pretty much any modelling acrylics through and airbrush (or indeed enamels, although acrylics and enamels require different thinners / cleaning fluids) but those not designed specifically for airbrushing will require more thinning and be a bit more difficult to work with. If you want an easy life, try Vallejo Model Air, Game Air – or the new GW/FW airbrush paints. It's a shame the GW/FW ones come it pots – the Vallejo dropper bottles are much easier to get into the airbrush cup... You could buy some plastic pipettes I suppose.

As you can see it's quite an investment but you can get the essentials and start practicing, and add things as you go along. Hope the above helps, I'm sure we can help with any questions you might have.

Finally had some time to finisch my Command Squad (had to write my Master Thesis over the last montsh and wasnt able to do anything else...)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rpw70p.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2h6bq0m.jpg

Next week they will fight alongside  Imperial Army and Ad Mech in a 8000 points game against Eldar, Tau and Harlequine. Mankind will be lead by Captain Castigon!

http://i67.tinypic.com/1pwis5.jpg

Edited by DocQuincy

I read on Faeit 212 today that the Dreads across Astartes Dex are gonna all have 4 attacks base, as per the faq they have been putting up.

Is that 8 attacks on a DC Dread on the charge??

Might have to pledge one or two for the ETL

Peace

Death Company Dreadnought

Five bass attacks

+1 for two weapons

+2 for Rage

... which is eight attacks and one Hammer of Wrath attack on the charge

If you are using Strike Force Mortalis and activate Fury of the Forelorn, you gain an extra attack for nine on the charge (plus one HoW)

If you are using a Librarian Dreadnought and get Quickening and Unleash Rage off, you have between eight and ten attacks on the charge (plus one HoW)

If you are using Cassor the Damned and a Librarian casts Quickening and Unleash Rage on him, you have between ten and twelve attacks on the charge (plus one HoW)

Discussion from page 11 onwards

Edited by Jolemai

My Heresy Angel's are basically going to follow my 40k scheme, but more metallic/ shiny to make them a little fancier... Also so I can use my Flamer Tac Squad as a Siege of Terra Veteran Tac Squad with Sniper.

My 40k scheme is essentially a Red version of some 30k IF Veterans, so i'll run with that.

Basically idea will follow the Day of Revelation Rite of War and be the force Sanguinius uses when a world is totally and utterly beyond compliance. Descend from above and scorch the earth. Turn the planet into a Baal look-alike. Destroyers with jump packs abound! Hopefully with a nifty price reduction in the new book.

To represent the regret of having to unleash such a terrible fate on a world, going to try and paint a blood drop/ tear under the lens of every marine - would also match my 40k Chapter.

Hoping the Rumors of the next Plastic Heresy Box pan out for Plastic Assault Marines, Breachers and Tartaros Armour *rejoices*

===

Taking it further with the theme, I'll probably add in some DA and run shattered legions if possible for those sweet sweet APD6 Acid Heavy Bolters.

Edited by Charlo

Waaaay back when I heard about the Heresy I wanted to do a sort of BA Siege Company, but was worried due to Baal being in a state from a Radioactive war we'd have a similar rule to Salamanders stopping Phosphex and such, maybe even all Rad weapons.

Then we got rules and nothing of the sort - just incredible Assault Cannons everywhere.

Is there anything out yet for HH BA rules / colour schemes etc, or just those couple of pages with the Rites etc?

Yeah - a couple of pages in the 6th book (i'll PM you as I can't share screenshots of it on here), a older and newer poster from FW:

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag4/lillegendstudio/11698492_1037909409572198_827270703183896439_n_zpspqx2aqvb.jpg

med_gallery_60566_6038_184968.jpg

I like the gold blood drop on the pauldron... Very keen to see how Devs / Assault / Veterans will look...

Aye - I'm intrigued to see if the Helm colours are present or came in as a part of the Guilliman's Bog-roll ;)

Do any of the other Legions use helmet colours to differentiate? If not I'm thinking BA won't either...

During the time period it is a literal free for all.

Ultras have a big page of different helm markings and colours, fists have a few too.

It could go either direction for us - no evidence either way yet!

Do any of the other Legions use helmet colours to differentiate? If not I'm thinking BA won't either...

Why wouldn't they? The Blood Angels are still the only ones to do it, and it doesn't make sense for them to go, "sorry, we would follow your codex markings, but we will make these up for this use now."

It makes more sense for them to have used it than not, because traditions tend not to change, and the practical reasons of him being able to tell from the sky.

My Heresy Angel's are basically going to follow my 40k scheme, but more metallic/ shiny to make them a little fancier... Also so I can use my Flamer Tac Squad as a Siege of Terra Veteran Tac Squad with Sniper.

The Blood Owls scheme is close enough to BA standard that I'm happy to write it off as a company divergent scheme, though I will probably paint some of the fancier units as Legion Blood Angels just for variety. I just need to figure out how to convert some Volkite Chargers...

Why wouldn't they? The Blood Angels are still the only ones to do it, and it doesn't make sense for them to go, "sorry, we would follow your codex markings, but we will make these up for this use now."

It makes more sense for them to have used it than not, because traditions tend not to change, and the practical reasons of him being able to tell from the sky.

Ultramarine and Imperial Fist veterans have red helms in 40k, so they're not the only ones. I don't know if the same is true of those Legions in 30k – hence the question...

I've never actually been that keen on the yellow or blue helms, so I wouldn't mind if they were all red.

Edited by LutherMax

There is a specific sect of Red-Helmed Ultra's in 30k who are a bit naughty (...or something).

Not Traitor, but they disregard orders purely to exact revenge on traitors or something. Though I could be 110% wrong there!