Maybe! I'm not entirely sure I'll be vowing at all this year. Between last year's drastic failure, and the general hobby burn out I've been working through, I'm not entirely confident on the matter.

On the other hand, scouts seem to be practically the only thing I can ever actually finish, so who knows? The Emperor's Tarot tells me naught as yet.

Just for motivational purposes, and to see what you guys think, Here is a marine from my 2nd company 1st squad of Carmine Blades. He's about 80% done still need to base him and put on transfers.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z460/Dont-be-Haten/40k/977E841E-EE6C-4AE8-933D-BCB30E044687_zpsnb7zzsus.jpg

When I finish the entire squad I'll post more, but as for now here's the chapter badge pic

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z460/Dont-be-Haten/40k/A4ABB025-2367-4F13-8727-3EBA71C805DC_zpstn1ql9uc.jpg

And the other side for comparisons. Hope you guys like it so far, it has been a joy to paint. Although my wife has said, "Another red army?!"

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z460/Dont-be-Haten/40k/9C0DE8C0-B120-4970-AE42-3784483D01E9_zps6bisf6ou.jpg

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Maybe! I'm not entirely sure I'll be vowing at all this year. Between last year's drastic failure, and the general hobby burn out I've been working through, I'm not entirely confident on the matter.

On the other hand, scouts seem to be practically the only thing I can ever actually finish, so who knows? The Emperor's Tarot tells me naught as yet.

For various rl reasons I was labelled an Oath Breaker in ETL I and coupled with a house move and newborn, this led me to skipping ETL II when in all fairness I could still have pledged something small and joined the fun. In the end, that's what the ETL is all about; it's about clearing your backlog of painting with a bunch of other friendly Frater to achieve a common goal - and to get a unique signature if you're interested in that sort of thing. It's about the camaraderie that occurs, the swapping of ideas and suggestions; what is simply another form of motivation to move us away from legions of grey plastic and to be fair, fielding a force of painted miniatures after years of playing with greys is a sight to behold (and you know I speak from experience here).

That said, you've got the motivation to make your Scouts so the interest is there. It's just a small vow in the end and there's every chance you'll paint it inside three months. It really doesn't matter if you fail either, it's more important to take part and besides, if people see others signing up they tend to do the same ;)

Just for motivational purposes, and to see what you guys think, Here is a marine from my 2nd company 1st squad of Carmine Blades. He's about 80% done still need to base him and put on transfers.

When I finish the entire squad I'll post more, but as for now here's the chapter badge pic

And the other side for comparisons. Hope you guys like it so far, it has been a joy to paint. Although my wife has said, "Another red army?!"

Dude.

He's awesome. Really like the colours and the use of the sculpted pads! More please for the ETL!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z460/Dont-be-Haten/40k/977E841E-EE6C-4AE8-933D-BCB30E044687_zpsnb7zzsus.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z460/Dont-be-Haten/40k/A4ABB025-2367-4F13-8727-3EBA71C805DC_zpstn1ql9uc.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z460/Dont-be-Haten/40k/9C0DE8C0-B120-4970-AE42-3784483D01E9_zps6bisf6ou.jpg

Looks awesome! Really like the carmine blades colors. Sculpted badge looks great too, nice job!

Red armies are the best armies...

Thanks guys.

Red marines are the best marines. Agreed, let us not forget their descended brothers who aren't as red, but adhere to the followings of Saunguinius.

Seriously though, I asked my wife what she thought, she looked at me and said, "I don't like it."

My reply, "Because it's red?"

To which her reply was and I quote, "Don't you have a blue army? What happened to that one? I like that one"

I am blessed in that the wifelet likes my red models best ;) Which is fortunate as I have quite a few kicking around now.

That said I am planning on vowing Death Company Marines for the ETL... but a little variety never hurt anyone!

I am blessed in that the wifelet likes my red models best ;) Which is fortunate as I have quite a few kicking around now.

That said I am planning on vowing Death Company Marines for the ETL... but a little variety never hurt anyone!

Indeed. I have found that they are faster to paint too ;) Meanwhile, get pledging!

For various rl reasons I was labelled an Oath Breaker in ETL I and coupled with a house move and newborn, this led me to skipping ETL II when in all fairness I could still have pledged something small and joined the fun. In the end, that's what the ETL is all about; it's about clearing your backlog of painting with a bunch of other friendly Frater to achieve a common goal - and to get a unique signature if you're interested in that sort of thing. It's about the camaraderie that occurs, the swapping of ideas and suggestions; what is simply another form of motivation to move us away from legions of grey plastic and to be fair, fielding a force of painted miniatures after years of playing with greys is a sight to behold (and you know I speak from experience here).

That said, you've got the motivation to make your Scouts so the interest is there. It's just a small vow in the end and there's every chance you'll paint it inside three months. It really doesn't matter if you fail either, it's more important to take part and besides, if people see others signing up they tend to do the same ;)

Of course, when you're right, you're right. I shall consult the Emperor's Tarot, and see. :p

I am really debating giving my successor veterans white heads instead of the gold I planned on using after seeing some carmine blades. So many decisions!

That can make sense, they could be like skulls. Not meaning literally, but painted as a reflection of your chapter's symbol.

Edited by Arkangilos

It is a good look! I hate painting white though, so I shall stick to admiring other peoples work with it :happy.:

There are two really easy methods to do this. I use Citadel paints so results may very, I know a lot of blokes don't like the lines. These boys in red with white helmets are actually my first time dedicated to trying to painting up to true white.

Priming white, then a quick water downed Ulthuan Grey with an Agrax Earthshade wash with a fine detail brush into the recesses followed by a tidy up, and then an edge highlight with white scar.

I went the other route with black primer since my minis are primed black. Base coated with water downed Celestial Grey, followed by a water downed Ulthuan Grey, then a Nuln Oil wash just in the recesses followed by a tidy up and edge highlight with white scar.

Potato cam pics of the 5 man melta Assault Squad I finally finished after leaving them half-done since October:

http://i.imgur.com/cn41EUa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GbDeTMb.jpg

I really need a better camera phone; they are dark models but these pics really obfuscate all the details. Will make better pics once I've got the light box and DSLR set up.

I loosely inspired the pose of the sergeant on the famous Sixteenth Chapel frescoes of God giving Adam the finger. But now it's a sergeant giving a random heretic a healthy dose of point-blank combi-melta. :smile.:

Sadly I couldn't do these for the ETL as I already started them last year. But hey, now I've got time to make a small ETL vow for a Biker Squad, once I've glued them together. :smile.:

It is a good look! I hate painting white though, so I shall stick to admiring other peoples work with it :happy.:

There are two really easy methods to do this. I use Citadel paints so results may very, I know a lot of blokes don't like the lines. These boys in red with white helmets are actually my first time dedicated to trying to painting up to true white.

Priming white, then a quick water downed Ulthuan Grey with an Agrax Earthshade wash with a fine detail brush into the recesses followed by a tidy up, and then an edge highlight with white scar.

I went the other route with black primer since my minis are primed black. Base coated with water downed Celestial Grey, followed by a water downed Ulthuan Grey, then a Nuln Oil wash just in the recesses followed by a tidy up and edge highlight with white scar.

Hmm! Cheers for this Dont-Be-Haten I shall try your reciepes out. I've had the Sanguinor painted up for a while but have had trouble with his wings (smaller areas of white are easier, large are my nemesis) so I shall have another go armed with this knowledge.

Redemption I've never seen Blood Angels on snow bases before... I like it! Nice work brother :)

Thanks guys.

Red marines are the best marines. Agreed, let us not forget their descended brothers who aren't as red, but adhere to the followings of Saunguinius.

Seriously though, I asked my wife what she thought, she looked at me and said, "I don't like it."

To which her reply was and I quote, "Don't you have a blue army? What happened to that one? I like that one"

My wife don´t like the good guys at all. But she likes my nids. They remind her of Cthullu :biggrin.:

Thanks guys.

My wife don´t like the good guys at all. But she likes my nids. They remind her of Cthullu :biggrin.:

Haha mine too! ...she is a nerdy scientist and loves all of the 'bugs' but thinks Space Marine armour is boring.