Starting a Dark Angels successor chapter.. But what one..?

Merellin

So, I realy wanna start a dark angels successor but I cant decide on what one.. I realy like the colorschemes of both Disciples of Caliban and Guardians of the Covenant.. But I cant pick one.. I know loads of people will go "Make your own!" But I am absolutely horrible at chosing color schemes so I realy cant think of a colorscheme of my own..

I'm planning to build it together with a Imperial Guard army (Already got some guard stuff, But no Dark Angels yet) And they will work together as allied forces (Or, Well, diferent detachments)

Do some squads of both!

Make a "Crusade" Unforgiven force, give them a unified campaign marking and maybe even some honor markings from the other Chapter on their armor to show some heroic actions between coordinating squads, and you're golden.

You could even develop a story about a few squads of one Chapter or the other being the only remaining units from a battle and having a limping, almost destroyed transport that get picked up by the other Chapter's force along the way and integrate into the force some.

Since there is no differentiation between the Successors play-wise, there is no reason you couldn't do this and still use it all in the same army.

Make it fun for yourself!

There is no reason you can't do both. Make them a linked detachment, the codex has illustrated that the Angels of Absolution and the Consecrators have fought side by side with the Dark Angels. So there is a precedent that two successors would also fight side by side. Another link is the old third war of Armageddon website which had the Dark Angels and all three Second Foundings fighting on the planet.

Well now I need to find them just to prove I'm not insane...  Or I have the right name..

A rumored DA successor who use Codex Astartes organization and are known for doing whatever it takes to get it done, Including using Daemon weapons.  Currently on an =I= mandated crusade of penance.  

It's in an old WD, probibly around the time the first GK or Witch Hunters codex.

What's the most important thing for you - ease and speed of painting, 'look' or background?

Think about that for both the Chapters you named and then make your decision accordingly. Perhaps also think about variant colour schemes for the Deathwing/Ravenwing equivalents.

I'm leaning towards Guardians of the Covenant.. But a friend said they looked similar to how he's gonna paint his chaos army.. so I might take Disciples of Caliban instead.. I have seen a image of a Disciples of Caliban terminator, It had the same color scheme as the normal guys.. But I dont know what color to make their robes..

My friend painted a few dark angel models from the Dark Vengeance box as Fallen and ended up liking how they turned out so he says he's gonna paint the entire army like that, Not just the dark angel models. So I'v decided to go with Guardians of the Covenant since it wont be similar to his chaos after all. ^_^

Archived